PDA

View Full Version : Gloak about a Moak

Rob Will
01-18-2007, 9:25 PM
After a few months of finding time to make a 450 mile trip to pick up a Moak 36 bandsaw, it finally happened. We ended up reinforcing the floor of a 16' utility trailer and used the trailer to haul the Moak. Equipped with a lot of good advice from SMC, the saw was bolted to the trailer floor and hauled home in an upright position. It garnered a lot of strange looks on the interstate all wrapped in tarps.......and the tarps themselves wrapped in 120 yards of duct tape. There was a potential for bad weather so I took no chances on the classic Moak getting wet. All arrived clean and dry and the old saw seems to run just fine.

It had been the property of a pattern shop in Detroit - used to cut styrofoam blocks.

The saw is a Moak 36 equipped with a 20" resaw capacity. Cast iron frame and a 36" x 36" tilting table. Power comes from a 5 hp 695 rpm 3 phase motor direct driven to Carter wheels. A foot pedal engages both top and bottom brakes as well as engaging the stop button automatically.

Right now, the saw is in the rough with the lower door and tables removed for shipping. Hopefully, I will someday run this baby through the paint shop and post some really nice pics. Mechanically it is a really clean saw.

Thanks for looking,

Rob

Phillip Thorne
01-18-2007, 9:32 PM
Congrats on the big beaut!! I'm sure it'll give you many years of wonderful service!

ENJOY!

~Phillip

Jim Becker
01-18-2007, 9:55 PM
'Tis a beautiful machine, Rob!! And it's nice that it will finally see some "real work" cutting wood instead of styrofoam... LOL!

Bruce Page
01-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Nice score Rob, extremely sweet!
I bet it purrs like a kitten

Ron Brese
01-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Quite a hoss saw you got there Rob. Drool!!!

jonathan snyder
01-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Wow, are those wheels 36"? I'm trying to imagine what length blade that monster uses?

Jonathan

Roy Wall
01-18-2007, 11:09 PM
that really is a clean looking Moak!! Good speed on the motor.......

Great Acquistion......is will serve you well.......CONGRATS!!

Rob Will
01-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Wow, are those wheels 36"? I'm trying to imagine what length blade that monster uses?

Jonathan

Somebody wrote a note inside the door with a marker: 19'-8"

Rob

Robert Mickley
01-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Somebody wrote a note inside the door with a marker: 19'-8"

Rob

Good gosh golly!! :eek: Thats longer than the ones for my sawmill :eek:
Their only 13' 1"

Nice old arn

John Schreiber
01-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Good golly, that's a major machine. The only others I've seen in that size range didn't have any safety equipment or even covers over the wheels.

Seth Poorman
01-19-2007, 1:13 AM
Rob
Like the Chrysler Truck boys say - Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !!!!!! :)

Reg Mitchell
01-19-2007, 7:10 AM
Nice going Rob....you'll find yourself useing that baby a lot. I use mine sometimes in place of the table saw. You can really push some wood through those things and it won't slow a bit
Reg

Bill Simmeth
01-19-2007, 8:53 AM
Nice score! That motor gets you down to about 6500 SFPM, not bad.

Enjoy!

lou sansone
01-19-2007, 9:05 AM
congrats on the saw. they are great machines ( I happen to also have one). Personally I like the moak green that they come with. Once you get all assembled and running post a few more photos and maybe one with another person in the photo for scale. These cast iron BS are just so cool to see in person
best wishes
lou