PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Modification...

Phillip Thorne
01-18-2007, 6:00 PM
just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to modify an indoor speaker so that is safe to leave outside? A buddy gave me some decent speakers that I don't really need anywhere inside but they would sound great out on the porch, seems like too much work having to plug'em up everytime i step out the back door....

THANKS!!

~Phillip

Jim O'Dell
01-18-2007, 7:18 PM
If the speaker elements are not designed for moisture (Polypropelene or similar) the cones may soon fall apart with moisture, or fade to dust with lack of humidity. Not sure what the moisture would do to the voice coils, but could corode them where it wouldn't play. Maybe you could build a shelf for them, put in some outdoor electrical outlet type covers and quick connect speaker terminals, and it would be a quick hookup when you wanted them? It might be possible to build a water proof housing to set them in and just open a door that seals well to play them. Let's see what others have to say...seems I remember a speaker builder or two that visit here some. Jim.

Ben Grunow
01-18-2007, 9:14 PM
I had some speakers under the hood of my car in high school (too cheap for PA horn and had speakers so I hacked them apart and mounted them behind the grille) that were indoor speakers, no enclosure. I actually sprayed them with a clear paint of some sort to attempt to keep the cones, which felt papery, from being damaged and it really worked. They lasted 2 years in that environment which is a lot if you ask me. BTW, I knwo that sound nutty but I was in HS and the care was worth less than the speakers so it didnt matter.

The enclosures are important to the way a speaker sounds and making them last outside, when most are made of particle board, is going to be the problem. The cones will last acouple of years and the frame/wiring will rust/corrode a little but the boxes will be done after one rain storm.

Maybe make new ones from Azek (http://www.azek.com/)? Available at lumber yard and totally weather proof and works like wood (no affiliation). I have used tons of this stuff and it is great.

Good luck

Ben

Al Willits
01-18-2007, 9:59 PM
MDF is the choice of DIY speaker builders and any self respecting speaker builder would rather shoot themselfs than spray their speakers with paint...:D
Probably worked well at the time though.:)

Being outside is evenually gonna do them in, but if you got them for nothing, what's the difference?
Speakers are meant to be used, better that than sitting in a closet somewhere.
Try to keep rain off them and protected from the wind and sun and they'll probably last a long time.

When they finally go, if you like the speakers outdoors, they make speakers that are water resistant and are made to deal with the elements.
Made the speakers for my garage, a tri amped three speaker per cabinet system that sounds ok to me, and will make the 3.1 system for the upstairs HT, with the right equiptment it can be fun...er...this is a woodworking forum isn't it, ya probably have all ya need already.:)

I'm assuming by decent you don't mean expensive as in many hundreds per speaker?
Al

Phillip Thorne
01-19-2007, 6:54 AM
It was a mini book shelf system so he might've had a hundred in the whole thing...THANKS GUYS!! I might rebuild the enclosure...or try to mount it in such a way that water wont run into it..

Al Willits
01-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Wonder if ya could mold a 1/8" clear Plexiglas shield over it, prob be cheap and work pretty well, could screw it right to the speaker cabinet with short wood screws?

Al

Art Mulder
01-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Years (20?) ago my parents had an outdoor speaker set which needed new speakers. On the advice of a family friend who was an electronics dude, we just put in standard speakers, but first gave them a light coating of silicon spray.

The enclosure naturally provided the majority of the protection, this was just a bit more to help protect the speakers.