PDA

View Full Version : Engraving soapstone

Kurt Sallaz
01-18-2007, 5:23 PM
I got some samples of soapstone from a brick supply company. The soap stone is used for those european fireplaces. Has anyone ever tried to engrave this material? I tried it using marble settings but the material doesn't engrave like marble. Any ideas?

Kurt

Joe Pelonio
01-18-2007, 5:53 PM
I used to have an employee that carved soapstone, never tried it on the laser
but it seemed a lot softer than marble, which makes me think less power would be needed. Did you find that the marble settings were too light?

There are two types of soapstone – artistic, which has a higher talc content and is soft, then architectural soapstone, used for kitchen counters.
Maybe you have the latter.

Kurt Sallaz
01-19-2007, 10:50 AM
I used to have an employee that carved soapstone, never tried it on the laser
but it seemed a lot softer than marble, which makes me think less power would be needed. Did you find that the marble settings were too light?

There are two types of soapstone – artistic, which has a higher talc content and is soft, then architectural soapstone, used for kitchen counters.
Maybe you have the latter.

Hi Joe,

The soapstone is the stuff used for Tulkivi stoves. The piece we lasered seemed to have a grain to it of soft and hard material so when it was done it looked like the surface of a sponge but a much tighter pattern of coarse and the engraving appeared washed out.

Thanks Joe, I always enjoy reading your posts. You defineately have a passion( or is it a sickness) for this medium.

Kurt