PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Switch modification OK?

Brian Penning
01-18-2007, 2:39 PM
Anything wrong with putting this little wood collar underneath the OFF button of my TS switch?
It still turns the saw off but with the mod I don't have to rotate the OFF button prior to using the ON button which occurs if the OFF button is fully pressed in.
TIA
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/Bri68/Miscilaneous/IMG_2576.jpg

David G Baker
01-18-2007, 5:01 PM
I am not familiar with your set up but many times I have needed the off button for safety reasons so I will not modify anything that could possibly impair my ability to shut off my table saw as fast as possible. Just my opinion as it applies to me. I have an old Craftsman and am jealous of the new on/off switches. I have to search for mine because it is hidden up under the table on the right hand side.
David B

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-18-2007, 6:37 PM
I'd take that collar off that safety switch and get used to rotating it.

Bill Brady
01-18-2007, 6:38 PM
Motor controls are my job. At no time should you modify or defeat a safety device, it is only asking for an accident. The reason for the twist and lock feature is to prevent an accidental start. When the saw is not in use it is a good practice to leave this button in until you are ready to use it.

Brian Penning
01-18-2007, 6:58 PM
Normally I'd agree with you guys but in this case the saw shuts off when the button is depressed just a hair. There's no danger of it NOT being able to be shut off. Why the design has this 2 levels of shutting the saw off I have no idea.
I'm simply making the switch operate the way most Tablesaw switches operate. 1 push of either button.
Thsanks for your replies.

Luciano Burtini
01-18-2007, 7:34 PM
The OFF button on a magnetic starter is a Normally Closed (NC) momentary contact button. The one you have is latching in the Off (Open) position. This is to prevent a restart until you physically reset the button. If this is not what you want, go to your local electrical supply house and get a non latching momentary contact NC button and replace it. Using the wood collar is asking for trouble - the one time you really need the saw to stop, the collar will prevent the button from being depressed sufficiently to break the circuit.

BTW - if you find yourself asking if something is okay to do, you probably already know the answer..... :-)

Just my $0.02

Brian, I just noticed that you are in Montreal. Do you have Princess Auto in Montreal? If not check them online. They are based in Winnipeg and have both the same button you have and a suitable non-latching replacement for less than $10. The only problem is that I don't think they have a non latching one in red. At least my local store doesn't.

Robert MacKinnon
01-18-2007, 7:51 PM
If it's a standard 22mm switch in the TS switchbox, then the switches sold by Princess Auto will not fit. They sell ones that are 17mm I believe. The best bet is an industrial electrical supply.

Luciano Burtini
01-19-2007, 6:04 PM
If it's a standard 22mm switch in the TS switchbox, then the switches sold by Princess Auto will not fit. They sell ones that are 17mm I believe. The best bet is an industrial electrical supply.

Hmmm...Good Point, but the PA parts are probably about 25% the cost of an Allen Bradley. Look in the Yellow Pages for electrical suppliers and see if you have a surplus dealer. That is probably the next cheapest way to go.

Greg Ladd
01-19-2007, 6:23 PM
Brian,

I have a General 350 and have the same type of switch on my saw. There is no way I would ever want to prevent the ability the rotation of the off button.

My belief is that the off button locks back to prevent the saw from being started without the off button willingly being rotated into the released position. With the off button disengaged the saw will start. Therefore, the saw may start anytime the 'on' button gets bumped inadvertantly.

Why would you want to remove that protective device? Certainly it takes no more than a few seconds to disengage the off button. If it forces you to be aware of the fact that the saw will be starting as soon as you hit the 'On' button, it may help you double-check that everything on the top of the saw and near the sawblade is where you want it.

I would leave it the way it was designed to be used. But ultimately the decision is yours of course.

Greg