PDA

View Full Version : Earbuds for iPod?

Tony Sade
01-18-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm going to replace the earbuds that came with my video iPod and would like to hear some recommendations for sets that go for under $100. As much as I don't like the sensation of having the equivalent of someone's fingers stuck into my ears, I'm going to stick with the bud type rather than over-the-ear phones for the sake of compactness/portability, etc. Also, I can fit the buds under my hearing protectors for use out in the shop. The choices out there are a bit dizzying and it would be nice to hear from some folks here.;)

Thanks

Glenn Clabo
01-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Tony,
I use the Etymotic Research ER6i which are an isolator type earplug...and love them. I don't need hearing protection in the shop...on an airplane...mowing the lawn...etc. I wouldn't drive with them though. I will tell you that some will say that they are lacking in bass but IMHO I disagree. The other complaints I read before buying was the delicate wires. I've had mine for about a year...use them a ton...and have never had a problem. I think I paid ~90 bucks from Amazon...

JayStPeter
01-18-2007, 1:07 PM
I use Etymotic ER6 and Shure E4? in-ear models (both around $100). They fit into your ear like earplugs and do not require you to wear hearing protection over them in the shop. But, they are in your ear, with the associated issues that accompany earplugs (ie wax and eventually hurt a little). They also don't allow enough ambient noise in for some situations (ie running/work).
I have a variety of other phones I use in different situations. For working out, I got a set of sport phones by Sennheiser that are earbuds that have an earclip so they stay on (unlike the ipod buds). I have tried and rejected just about every earbud out there because they don't stay in without ear clips. I use a $40 set of Sennheiser headphones (PX100) at work. It's easier to offset that style from your ear so you can hear what's going on nearby and still hear the music as background. All the headphones I use sound significantly better than the ipod buds and are far less annoying to use.

Cary Falk
01-18-2007, 7:17 PM
My wife has the $99 pair of BOSE from Best Buy and loves them.

Dave Hale
02-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Shure E2c - $99. Block out the noise, bunch of options for inserts.
2-year warranty.
I use them everyday for the commute, 2.5 hours a day.

When the wire into one of the earpieces started acting up, sent them to Shure and got brand new ones back!

Rob Russell
02-08-2007, 12:58 PM
My wife tried a few different sets including some of the expensive ones. She liked an inexpensive set from Radio shack the best.