PDA

View Full Version : Plane recommendations

Luke McFadden
01-18-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm going to be working with canoe paddles. Seems like most things I've been reading recommend a block plane. The ones I've seen (lowes) look pretty small. Is this what I should get?

Any recommendations for a good plane? I'm running low on my starting money, but I realize this is something I'm going to be using a lot.

Thanks.

Luke

jonathan snyder
01-18-2007, 2:16 AM
Luke,

A block plane is a good first plane. Don't buy one from Lowe's, the quality is not great. If the budget is tight, look for a vintage plane. Get something with an adjustable mouth like a Stanley #18 or # 9 1/2 see Partick's Blood & Gore (http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html)for descriptions of vintage stanly planes.

You may want to consider a low angle block plane for working end grain. Take a look at the old Stanley #60, #60 1/2, or #65.

These vintage tools may require a bit of work to tune them up, but it will be a fun learning experience.

Beware, you cannot own just one plane! They will multiply, and before you know it you'll have a whole whack of em!

I have never had the budget to buy, or the pleasure of test driving any of the new high quality planes so, I let others comment there.

Probably best to check some of the reputable old tool sellers on the web for you first few purchases. E-bay is fine, but you neeed to know what you are looking for and lookin at.

Jonathan

*edited for typos

Mike Cutler
01-18-2007, 5:28 AM
Luke.
I just got a Lie-Nielsen 60 1/2, and a 102. Great block planes, expensive though. I don't have the requisite skill set to buy planes at fleamarkets and overhaul them like some folks can, I'm little envious of this ability also.

Jonathan is right. Planes multiply like rabbits. ;)

Zahid Naqvi
01-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Luke, I didn't see this post before I answered you post on honing guides. Try and get hold of "The Handpplane book" by Garret Hack. It is an excellent resource for everything handplane and is a good book to own. It also has a good section on sharpening.

Block planes are one of the most flexible planes, in that you can use them for several tasks, but they still have limitations. If you are talking about paddles I think your should be considering spokeshaves (and perhaps rasps) as they are better suited for curved surfaces. Bob Smalser is an immense resource on woodworking and boat building, I am sure he will chime in once he sees this post.

BTW welcome to the slippery slope ;)

Luke McFadden
01-20-2007, 2:28 PM
Well, I just won an auction for a Stanley #5 jack plane. I decided to try find a good jack plane and a good low angle block plane. It looks like it is in great shape, and hopefully it will work great. I think I got a pretty good deal on it. $40?

I'm curious as to what kind of work it is going to need.

Luke

Kevin French
01-21-2007, 10:13 AM
In Jerry Stelmok's book "Bldg the Maine Guide Canoe" after the bandsaw he uses a Drawknife, smoothiing plane and then a spokeshaver. I haven't read that chapter yet just looking at his tool list.