PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning new drill chuck shaft

Brian Keith
01-18-2007, 12:17 AM
As I type Im putting together a new 15" drill press. I need to know what to clean the shaft with to get all the assembly grease off so I can install the chuck? Thanks

Jack Ferrell
01-18-2007, 1:37 AM
Brian, I've put together several machines and accessories the last few years and I've used nothing but Simple Green. I always keep it in my shop and mostly use full strength. It takes the grease right off. I buy it by the gallon at Lowes (about $5-$6) and pour it into a spray bottle.

Brian Keith
01-18-2007, 2:03 AM
My manual says to use some sort of oven degreaser. Would Fantastic work cause its what I have under the sink? Thanks

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-18-2007, 9:40 AM
My manual says to use some sort of oven degreaser. Would Fantastic work cause its what I have under the sink? Thanks

NO! it's a water base and may cause corrosion.

Use any thing like Kero, Fuel oil, WD40, Gasoline, Mineral Spirits, Laquer thinner. Leave no oil on the taper parts when you assemble 'em. You want it dry.

Oven degreasers - the manual?? That is weird as most oven cleaners are full of things that will cause pitting in steel.

Brian Keith
01-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Let me scan the page on cleaning.

Brian Keith
01-18-2007, 6:06 PM
Here is a pic of the instructions for cleaning the arbor. Well I guess I can upload this pic it says its an invalid file.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-18-2007, 6:30 PM
Most oven degreasers are based on acid / base interactions.

Oven cleaners aren't really merely degreasers they are also cleansers and as such will react with a host of things. They can react with most steel.
They are also such that they can't be poisonous the way a petroleum based degreaser would be.
You don't have that problem with the taper parts in a drill press.

Just clean the thing anyway you can using any petroleum product you have at hand.

WD 40 is a degreaser that will be fine for the last bit. Just wipe it dry with a dust free rag or paper towel and then use an air gun on it.

Brian Keith
01-18-2007, 9:46 PM
Exactly what I did Cliff, sprayed the arbor down dried with paper towels and hit it with some air. Thanks