PDA

View Full Version : How to do plumbing access for basement tub?

Brian Elfert
01-18-2007, 12:13 AM
The local building inspector is insisting on a plumbing access for the trap for a basement bathtub. How is this normally done for a basement? The furnace is directly on the other side of the wall so I can't make an access panel there.

My house was built in 2001 and I don't believe there is a plumbing access for my master bath shower. Has the code changed?

Brian Elfert

wells conklin
01-18-2007, 6:04 AM
Brian, I'm no expert on this, just a homeowner. I'm assuming your tub is already installed. Is there any room at all on the other side of that wall? The furnace is there, but is there even a foot of clearance between the furnace and the wall? It may be very difficult to build an access panel there, but is it impossible? I understand you may be dealing with an unreasonable inspector, but if you can meet the minimum requirement for an access to that plumbing, you should be legal.
Best check with a local contractor or plumber for his practical interpretation of the code and/or check out the code for yourself at the public library or city hall. Ask the chief building inspector for an interpretation. You don't want the inspector that has been to your house to feel you're going over his head to circumvent his authority, but you want him to know you are serious about meeting codes also.
These are probably things you have already thought about. Wish I could help more. Good luck! Let us know how this turns out.

Brian Elfert
01-18-2007, 7:43 AM
Tub is not yet installed. Bathroom was not finished when house was built, but plumbing was installed under slab.

There is basically zero room behind furnace to do anything. Building inspector during final inspection of house said furnace didn't have proper clearances, but since mechanical inspector passed it, he let it go.

There is only one building inspector since this is not a huge town. He hasn't actually been on site yet. My building permit was originally to finish one bathroom, but I called and asked to add the basement bathroom. I knew I needed plumbing access for the upstairs bathrrom, so I emailed and asked the inspector if I needed plumbing access for the basement bathroom too.

Brian Elfert

Mitchell Andrus
01-18-2007, 7:55 AM
Call a local plumber, AND the local plumbing supply co. They may have ideas you haven't thought of yet. Also, just ask the inspector. He just might come up with a solution. After all, the inspector's job is to HELP - it's written into the Uniform Building Code.

John Branam
01-18-2007, 8:04 AM
Check out a product called saniflo, it is designed for what you are looking for. It is a macerating unit.

Bill Simmeth
01-18-2007, 8:21 AM
Check out ... It is a macerating unit.
I don't think he needs one of these. He said lines were already in the slab, so he's covered for drainage. He needs a creative way to provide access to the fittings for repairs, which sadly, I have no creative suggestions.

Brian Elfert
01-18-2007, 8:30 AM
Check out a product called saniflo, it is designed for what you are looking for. It is a macerating unit.

The drain and trap are already installed. There is no problem getting the wastewater into the sewer system.

What the building inspector wants is a access panel that opens up so that access can be gained to the trap if necessary in the future.

The only thing I can think of would be a fiberglass/acrylic tub/shower enclosure with an access panel built-in like my whirlpool tub.

Brian Elfert

Joe Pelonio
01-18-2007, 9:02 AM
I really don't understand that requirement. Neither of our tubs has access. They are both upstairs and one would have to either cut out the sheetrock on the dining room ceiling, or through a bedroom closet wall for access. Thinking about all of the other homes I've lived in none had access except the crawl space when the tub was on the ground floor.

If the pipes are already in, maybe you can raise the tub onto a platform, with a removeable access panel that can be tiled around the screws that hold it on, and a step to get in.

I guess if you ever have a leak you'll be glad for the access requirement.

Brian Elfert
01-18-2007, 9:20 AM
It seems strange to me too that access to the trap is now required. I don't know if code changed or if the city is requiring this.

I realized that I probably can't even install the tub without a plumbing access anyhow. The back and side of the tub are either concrete block or the other side of the wall is already sheetrocked. I won't have access to connect the drain to the drain line.

Brian Elfert

ken brueggestrass
01-18-2007, 11:34 AM
I've not had any luck arguing with or getting suggestions from our local inspector. Instead of using a traditional tub, one with nailing flanges on three sides and a skirt on the room side, have you coniidered using a tub more like a hot tub. I've seen them, both jacuzzi'd and not, where you still have the three nail flange sides but the money side is designed to hang on a 2x4 knee wall. If you can't visualize this, think of the tubs that have tile surfaces around them where I put my candles while I bathe, did I say that outloud. Depending on the size and shape, you nail cleats to the three walls and build this knee wall. Cap the cleats and knee wall with 3/4 ply, then your cement borad, then tile. The point to all this is that the knee wall can be built with a removable face panel, ala access, ala probelm solved. I'm going to go take a bath.

Joe Pelonio
01-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Instead of using a traditional tub, one with nailing flanges on three sides and a skirt on the room side, have you considered using a tub more like a hot tub.
That's a great suggestion, jetted tubs have to have access for the electrical anyway so are built that way, plus the added advantage of a relaxing bath after a hard day in the shop. I've seen them for a slow as $369 at the borgs
though most are $600 or more.

Brian Elfert
01-18-2007, 1:12 PM
I'd lke to avoid the expense of a whirlpool and tile if possible. This is a basement bathroom after all. I would skip the bathtub all together if the drain wasn't roughed in and the bathroom too big for a 1/2 bath.

Besides, the master bathroom has both a shower and a whirlpool tub already.

I may have figured out a way to get plumbing access. I have to do some measurements.

Brian Elfert

Jim Becker
01-18-2007, 1:55 PM
Brian...could "just" a shower work?

Brian Elfert
01-18-2007, 2:24 PM
Brian...could "just" a shower work?

I think I end up with a bigger plumbing access problem then. With a tub, there is some area under the tub to have access. With a shower, there really isn't any way to get down to the trap from the top side since I can't get underneath.

The other issue is the location of the drain. It was located for a tub and a shower generally has the drain in the center. A neoangle or round shower might work, but they are more expensive than a tub. I would actually prefer the shower, but this plumbing access is an issue.

Brian Elfert

Dan Mages
01-18-2007, 3:40 PM
I would first politely ask the building inspector for a copy of the building code that specifies that you need an access panel so you can make sure that what you are doing is within the code requirements. If he cannot provide it, talk to the mayor. I was forced to cut an access hole behind my oven wall cabinet in my kitchen due to the building inspector. The plumber said he never heard of such stupidity.

dan

Ben Grunow
01-18-2007, 8:47 PM
It may require some jack hammering but you can move the trap away from the tub and access it somewhere else more convenient. I believe it is legal to travel horizontally some distance (with pitch as always) before going into a trap. So make a channel into the boiler room and relocate the trap there. A simple plywood cover would provide access and keep anyone from stepping inthe hole.

Brian Elfert
01-19-2007, 3:09 PM
I talked to the building inspector again about my plumbing access issue. He gave me the exact part of the code.

He said that Minnesota has its own plumbing code and that MN code requires access to traps. Code used to require them to just be "accessible". This was often interpreted that breaking sheetrock was okay.

The code has been changed so that traps must be "readily accessible". There must must be an access panel or the trap must be left exposed.

I figured out there is no way I can install a shower simply due to logistics of where the floor drain is installed uness I want to get a special shower pan and tile the walls or something.

The good news is I figured out how I can make an access panel for the trap. The side of the furnace is far enough away from the wall to cut a hole to access the trap.

Brian Elfert

Brian Elfert
01-19-2007, 3:29 PM
I got another clarification from the building inspector. Only tubs and not showers require an access panel.

The thinking is that tubs do not have the trap straight down from the drain and will be harder to clean out if they clog. Showers don't have this issue.

Brian Elfert