View Full Version : Bolivian Rosewood Box (cracked)

Curt Fuller
01-17-2007, 11:45 PM
I learned a few new swear words tonight. I made this box and the lid fit just right. That was two days ago. Then tonight when I tried to get the lid off it was so tight I cracked the lid getting it off. I know the wood was dry but I turned it in the garage at about 10 degrees and I think the house temp made it swell up or something.
Anyway, it's Bolivian Rosewood with a Macassar Ebony finial, about 3"x3" plus the finial.

John Hart
01-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Sure is pretty Curt. What a pit that it cracked. Can it be repaired?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Very pretty box! I like your attention to detail! I hope you can repair it!

Would you care to elaborate on the new words Curt?

Travis Stinson
01-18-2007, 12:03 AM
What a shame! That sure is a beauty Curt.

Gary DeWitt
01-18-2007, 1:11 AM
That's a very nice box, both the form and the wood.

Waaaaait just a minute...10 DEGREES!!?! Without antifreeze, my body locks up at that temp. I'd be unable to move my fingers to turn!

I hope you can save the piece.

Jonathon Spafford
01-18-2007, 2:37 AM
That is a beautiful piece... can't you tape the bottom to keep the CA from running everywhere and use some thin glue and then lightly sand and buff it?? Hope it is fixable! And yeah... what were you doing in 10 degree weather... the wind chill has been 10 degrees here and I briefly thought about turning but I quickly changed my mind once I got in the garage!!!!

Christopher K. Hartley
01-18-2007, 5:31 AM
Curt, I'm so sorry to hear about the crack.:( You certainly did a wonderful job on the box. I love the detail. Here's hoping it can be fixed.

Now, as to another comment you made:

...I know the wood was dry but I turned it in the garage at about 10 degrees and I think the house temp made it swell up or something.

In the past I used to think golfers were crazy when I would see them out on the greens with their orange balls in the snow.:eek: Now I think of some of the conditions we find ourselves turning in and...well...looks like I must eat my words. Now, golfers are still crazy in my book; on the other hand we, as turners, are what we might call committed, right?:D

Keith Burns
01-18-2007, 8:06 AM
Curt, sorry about the crack but I'm sure you will fix it. Anyway, I really like this box. I like the form, the detail and you did an amazing job with the grain match.:) :)

Mark Pruitt
01-18-2007, 8:07 AM
That was an excellent job Curt. I like the "tape on the outside and CA repair" idea. Worth trying IMHO.

Tom Sherman
01-18-2007, 8:55 AM
Very nice box Curt, sorry about the crack. I can understand about the cold been reluctant to venture into my shop for that reason. Guess I'll have to dig out my kerosene heater and tough it out.

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2007, 9:15 AM
Beautiful wood Curt! You did a great job with the form and all the detail work! Something that nice deserves at least a chance at being repaired!

Best of luck to you!

Bonnie Campbell
01-18-2007, 9:43 AM
Wow! Crack or not I sure like it. If it were mine (and I'm nowhere near that talented) I'd claim the crack was a venting spot.... or something.... because I'd have it sitting out for all to see :)

Rich Stewart
01-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Nice box!! I really like that shape. As for the crack, leave it alone for a while. I have had several pieces crack like that and after some time they closed up so tight I can't even find the crack anymore. Beautiful work.

Lee DeRaud
01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
In the past I used to think golfers were crazy when I would see them out on the greens with their orange balls in the snow.:eek: Now I think of some of the conditions we find ourselves turning in and...well...looks like I must eat my words. Now, golfers are still crazy in my book; on the other hand we, as turners, are what we might call committed, right?:DOrange?!?!? :eek:

Oh, you meant the golf b...nevermind.

Committed? No: that would require signatures from two doctors, plus I don't think they let you use power tools at the Quiet Place. The word you're thinking of is "certifiable".

Lee DeRaud
01-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Oh, and nice box, by the way. :cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
01-18-2007, 5:05 PM
Committed? No: that would require signatures from two doctors, plus I don't think they let you use power tools at the Quiet Place. The word you're thinking of is "certifiable". Ya, that too!!:D

John Chandler
01-18-2007, 10:36 PM
I really like the shape and the way the grain works with it. Good job.

Jim Ketron
01-18-2007, 10:54 PM
That Sucks Curt!
Beautiful box!

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2007, 11:43 PM
That is a beauty Curt. It sucks that it cracked.

Rich Stewart
01-19-2007, 1:48 AM
Curt, I want you to remember what i said and let us know if the cracks close up on that box. It has happened to me on a cocobolo, walnut, and maple box where i got a crack about a quarter inch wide that later sealed up so tight you would never even know it was there. Keep an eye on it.

Rich

Barry Stratton
01-19-2007, 2:47 AM
THAT is a beauty, crack or no crack. Well done!

And you should post a pic in your turning attire....for some reason I'm picturing you at 10 degree's in a snowmachine suit, bunny boots, beaver hat and gloves. Faceshield too, of course:D

Ed Scolforo
01-19-2007, 6:18 AM
Curt, sorry it cracked. The good news is that you know you're capable of making something that beautiful, and will be able to do it again.
Ed

David Fried
01-19-2007, 6:50 AM
Very nice! It's got all the things I'm still trying to work up to: finial. detail on the lid, and nice stuff going on around the joint. I never even considered putting details inside the lid! Great job! Thanks for all the new ideas to try out.

To think I was complaining that it was 25 in the shop! I know the lathe belt is complaining loudly at that temp. I bet it would be screaming at 10!

Ernie Nyvall
01-19-2007, 8:44 PM
Aw man... sorry to hear about that Curt. It is a great looking box.