PDA

View Full Version : Tools at auction

Adam Bauer
01-17-2007, 10:48 PM
I was wondering how many of you have had success buying tools at auctions? If so how did you go about finding the auctions. There is a gentleman in my local woodturning group who has bought almost all of his tools at auctions and rarely pays more than about 25% of what the tools would cost new. His shop is just filled to the brim with tools. I asked him once about going but he pretty much told me he wouldn't send somebody as young and un-experienced as me to an auction alone. I havn't asked again as he's helped me out a bunch with turning instruction but I would love to be able to pick up some of the name brand higher quality tools used at cheaper prices. Do I pretty much need to just find lists of auction houses in the area and just start going to the auctions in hopes of there being tools there or is there a better way?

Chris Rosenberger
01-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Adam,
I have gotten very few deals at auctions. I always hear the same stories about the great deals people got at auctions I did not go to. Every auction I go to everything goes for close to new price.

Eric Mims
01-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Auctions are pretty random. You'll think something will get alot of bids and it goes for cheap, then something you think is junk will go for list price or even more. You should get a list of items before you go and have an idea of what everything is worth. Set your mental maximum on things you're interested in. If there's a ton of lots, the auctioneer might jump to each lot quickly and stuff can be sold without people even knowing it.

Last one I went to in town, I was looking esp. for a bandsaw. A nice Grizzly 17" went for around 70% cost (and of course no added shipping costs, keep in mind), a nice Bridgewood 440 went for about 50% and a Delta 18" went for about 100%!!!! Thing is, is that the Bridgewood came up last, so I passed on the Delta for obvious reasons, then passed on the Griz seeing as how it went and that no one showing too much interest in bandsaws. But another guy had his eye on the Bridgewood and it was going to be a little above my price range, so I left with none of them. Don't worry though, I got a shiny, new Griz a week later, but that Bridgewood would've been nice. :)

If you ever have 3 phase power and plenty of space, it's a great way to get super deals. They'll almost always go for less % than single phase equipment like those bandsaws above.

Definitely go to the next one in your area. You don't have to buy anything and it's get to see how it works. But I guarantee you'll soon be asking yourself, "I wonder if that 51" wide belt sander could fit in my garage?" when the bidding slows at 10% cost. :D

skip coyne
01-17-2007, 11:36 PM
I haven't been to a auction in while I used to buy a lot .

if you interested in tools talk to auctioneers in your area for recommendations and sign up for mailing lists

check with your school board and see when and if they auction surplus

get Sunday papers from big city's near you and look in the classifieds
(youmay be able to do it online )

mid week auctions are better than weekend because you eliminate the casual buyers

sometimes stuff goes for next to nothing sometimes retail plus ..

it just takes a lot of time

David G Baker
01-17-2007, 11:42 PM
I was wondering how many of you have had success buying tools at auctions? If so how did you go about finding the auctions. There is a gentleman in my local woodturning group who has bought almost all of his tools at auctions and rarely pays more than about 25% of what the tools would cost new. His shop is just filled to the brim with tools. I asked him once about going but he pretty much told me he wouldn't send somebody as young and un-experienced as me to an auction alone. I havn't asked again as he's helped me out a bunch with turning instruction but I would love to be able to pick up some of the name brand higher quality tools used at cheaper prices. Do I pretty much need to just find lists of auction houses in the area and just start going to the auctions in hopes of there being tools there or is there a better way?
Adam,
If you are looking for something specific you will have to go to a lot of auctions. I go to quite a few farm auctions here in Mid Michigan and have found that most of the items sell for almost new price or more. If you do go the auction route you want to make very sure that you know what you are bidding on and have a general idea of what it costs retail or you could get stung.
I have bought from Ebay on occasion but again you have to know what the item is and the retail price as well as how much the shipping cost will be because many times the shipping takes the item price up to more than you can buy the item new locally.
Garage sales are another place where I spend a lot of time and have gotten some very good deals but again you will have to go to a lot of them if you are looking for something specific.
I spend a lot of time on the Internet looking for sales on items I am looking for, especially around the holidays.
I look at the classifieds on this site several times a day as well.
Good luck
David B

Jim Noskowiak
01-18-2007, 2:05 AM
I buy a lot at auctions and found out you have to watch what is out there and price. My bust buy was at an auction where the tools were not listed well. I bought a new 3hp delta shaper for $160. If I had $2000 I could have gotten a 24” plainer, 8” jointer and big sander all delta, all brand new still wrapped in plastic. Person bought it to start a shop after he retired but passed away before he could even plug it in. But I have been to a lot of auctions were they paid more then brand new. I have actually seen people pay more then the price tag that remained on the item.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-18-2007, 9:34 AM
I asked him once about going but he pretty much told me he wouldn't send somebody as young and un-experienced as me to an auction alone.

That doesn't sound very polite. Is there some reason for him ( or anyone) to think that you are ill equipped to examine a piece of wood working machinery and evaluate it's potential?

Most wood working machinery is pretty damn simple stuff. The bearings are the hardest to judge when they aren't running but bearings are also really easy to replace.
If you want to to buy stuff at auctions just start attending them. And remember one rule - never pay more than you think it's worth - there's always another one that will come along.

I haven't got any decent auctions near me so I don't attend 'em.

skip coyne
01-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Buyers premiums are often added to the final price 7-10 % so your bid of 100 means you actully pay 107-110.00 be sure to ask about this and factor it into your bid price

Decide the MAX you will pay and stick to it

Ed Breen
01-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Adam,
Here in Northeastern Oklahoma most of the auctioneers puit out flyers where they list the items up for auction. As I remember, there is also a weekly out of Siloam Springs listing all the auctions for the week and the goodies to be sold. I've had rather good luck at the auctions, mainly with items which may not run but which I've looked at and can make the repairs quite simply. Example - $3.00 for an electric duofast stapler which only needed a new trigger assembly ($7.00).
Good luck
Ed

Tom Henry
01-18-2007, 11:24 AM
I picked up a PM 8" jointer for $120 at a local auction. 2 schools were getting rid of there WW shops. Most of the big tools went very cheap. I found the auction in the newspaper. You can also do a search for auctions at zip auctions...

Bruce Walton
01-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Another source might be www.auctionzip.com for auctions in your area.

Auctions can be fun and addicting. Have fun.

Gary Curtis
01-18-2007, 12:18 PM
The best and cheapest source are the swapmeets held quarterly by old tool collectors known as Old Galoots. They are held everywhere throughout the country. I bought most of the items in my shop that way. Some of the sellers are serious tool restoration guys, so their wares are first rate.

Here's my experience. Ebay sellers often know nothing. The pictures and descriptions can be misleading, mostly due to lack of skills. The prices, at times, are in excess of new prices.

Tool swapmeets average about 40% of eBay prices, and the sellers are mostly friendly and can explain things to you. I used to live in Los Angeles in close proximity to a swapmeet held every 3 months. One retired Oceanographer would show up with at least a dozen Stanley No. 2 planes in gorgeous condition. He would bring a No. 1 only on special request. Wow.
Very rare stuff!

Gary Curtis

Lee Schierer
01-18-2007, 12:35 PM
I agree with most of the other comments. When I go to an auction, tool shopping, I always carry a recent copy of the Rockler, Grizzly and Woodworkers Supply catalogs in my hip pocket. That way I know if the prices are getting out of hand. I do the same thing at tools shows as all show deals are not always the best price you can get for an item. In my limited experience bidders tend to bid too high on most tools.

Be sure to check the items you bid on carefully. They are often missing parts or have damage. Once you bid it is yours as is.

Adam Bauer
01-18-2007, 1:02 PM
Thanks guys for all the advice. I guess I'll have to keep watching the two sites that do almost all of the texas government and school district auctions (however these are almost always furniture, vehicles, and jewelery) and maybe check out a few of the local auction houses a time or two as well.