PDA

View Full Version : Getting Burns out of Maple

Pete Brown
01-17-2007, 10:23 PM
I was making legs for cabinets and had to do stopped chamfers on the sides. No matter how quickly I pulled back, I ended up burning the end of the chamfer more often than not.

In some cases I was able to take off an extra hair of material and remove most of the burn.

Any idea if careful sanding will remove the other burns? If not, any other suggestions? Scraping? The wood will have only a clear finish and while the burns won't stand out to most people due to the wild figure and worm streaking on the legs, I will notice it every day :)

This maple burns very easily even with very sharp tools. I'm not sure if it's the figure (it is tiger) or if that's just the nature of soft maple.

Pete

Jim Hager
01-17-2007, 10:42 PM
I was making legs for cabinets and had to do stopped chamfers on the sides. No matter how quickly I pulled back, I ended up burning the end of the chamfer more often than not.

In some cases I was able to take off an extra hair of material and remove most of the burn.

Any idea if careful sanding will remove the other burns? If not, any other suggestions? Scraping? The wood will have only a clear finish and while the burns won't stand out to most people due to the wild figure and worm streaking on the legs, I will notice it every day :)

This maple burns very easily even with very sharp tools. I'm not sure if it's the figure (it is tiger) or if that's just the nature of soft maple.

Pete

The nature of the beast I'm afraid. Scraping will finish it off though

Lee Schierer
01-18-2007, 9:09 AM
I've had similar problems with my less costly router bits. The cutter releif angle is not what it should be and they tend to burn. The solution that I have used is to slow the bit speed way down and clean up the end of the cut.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-18-2007, 9:26 AM
for cutters: Run your cutters slower.

for sanding: Use a corser grit to get past the burn then go back to fine and use a light touch.

Scrapers never burn, nor do planes.

Pete Brown
01-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks all

The bit was, in fact, one of my cheap bits (a woodcraft bit). It had not previously been used.

I was also running it at close to full speed since it is such a small bit. I'll cut the speed down on that next time. I don't know what that didn't occur to me.

I'll scrap the corners out.

I do use my planes, chisels etc for some work, but not milling chamfers on a kitchen full of cabinet legs :)

Pete