PDA

View Full Version : Raised panel router bits

Dewayne Reding
01-17-2007, 9:13 PM
What size is typically used for kitchen cabinets? I tried measuring them at Lowes but really wasn't sure how much of the cut was concealed by the rails and stiles.

Jim Hager
01-17-2007, 9:16 PM
What size is typically used for kitchen cabinets? I tried measuring them at Lowes but really wasn't sure how much of the cut was concealed by the rails and stiles.

Size of the panel raiser is relative to your needs but 3/8- 7/16 is the normal depth of the groove that the panel fits in. Usually panels are 1/8-1/4 narrower than the groove they fit in.

Dewayne Reding
01-17-2007, 9:22 PM
"Size of the panel raiser is relative to your needs"

I'm not sure what my needs are Jim. That's why I started this thread. :) Most of the kitchen cabinets I looked at seemed to be about the same size. I was guessing maybe a 1 1/2" radius?

Charles McCracken
01-18-2007, 8:45 AM
The 3-1/2" diameter bits (1-1/2" reveal minus the tongue length) are the most commonly used for kitchen cabinet doors and are considered the best proportioned when used with 2" and wider rails and stiles. The smaller 2-3/4" can also be used (to your liking) but with less dramatic effect.

Jim Hager
01-18-2007, 9:26 AM
"Size of the panel raiser is relative to your needs"

I'm not sure what my needs are Jim. That's why I started this thread. :) Most of the kitchen cabinets I looked at seemed to be about the same size. I was guessing maybe a 1 1/2" radius?

There are lots of cutters out there to choose from and what I like you might not is the reason I gave you an answer like I did. I work with a shaper and did not know whether you had a shaper or a router to work with. Generally speaking a router panel raiser has a smaller diameter and a smaller reveal than most shaper cutters. I wasn't trying to be vague. Charles has an inside track to Freud cutters and bits and can give you the skinny on the actual sizes. Most any website that sells cutters and bits will have the actual sizes listed for their products.