PDA

View Full Version : How many router do you need.

Thomas Prondzinski
11-22-2003, 7:42 AM
Just order Hitachi M12v from Amazon. Just couldn't pass up at that price. I only have six now .do you think seven will be too many.

Tom

Ken Salisbury
11-22-2003, 8:05 AM
Just order Hitachi M12v from Amazon. Just couldn't pass up at that price. I only have six now .do you think seven will be too many.

Tom

Eight sounds just about right - at least that is how many I have.

Lloyd Robins
11-22-2003, 9:09 AM
I only have 2. They are both Boschs. A couple more would be nice, or maybe some specialized hand planes. Hmmm.

Bill Esposito
11-22-2003, 9:59 AM
Tom I gotta agree with Ken, while I only have three, eight seems like a good number to strive for :)

John Miliunas
11-22-2003, 10:11 AM
I'm up to six, albeit two of them are kind of on the crappy side. Still got a few to go to catch up with The Rebel! :cool:

Mike Evertsen
11-22-2003, 10:11 AM
at one time I had 12 then I had 10 then 8 now I'm down to seven I only use three my hiatachi in the table my Porter cable and my old 3/4 black and decker,,I sold a couple of sears ones e-bay,,,my good craftsman I lent out it didn't come back,,,I want to get a plunge router,,,,and trim router,,,,,

Von Bickley
11-22-2003, 5:36 PM
I only have three and that is never enought. I agree with Ken on this one. Routers and clamps, you can't have too many.... :cool:

Rob in Winnipeg
11-22-2003, 5:39 PM
I only have one. I know that isn't the magic number :p

Terry Quiram
11-22-2003, 6:47 PM
I have 4. 2 DeWalts, a Roybi and an AMT trim router. I use the trim router to inlay veneer banding. Looking for another to mount to my Beal Wood Threader.

Terry

dave nichols
11-22-2003, 6:57 PM
I have 6, 2 freud, 3 porter cable and 1 craftsman

Jim Young
11-22-2003, 8:11 PM
I only have two. A 3.5hp (Hitachi) in the table and a 1.5hp (PC690) for manual work. The PC came with a plnge and fixed base. Any more would get me in trouble with my wife.

Wes Bischel
11-22-2003, 11:13 PM
Uh Oh!

I just ordered the Hitachi - already had the PC690 set as well - Jim, does this mean I'm at my limit!!

My wonderful wife was very understanding about the Hitachi. I guess I shouldn't press my luck. ;)

Wes - hoping I will be allowed to use the Hitachi when I get it even though it's my Christmas present.

Rob Glynn
11-23-2003, 2:47 AM
The answer is obvious. You need a router for every router bit in your collection. That avoids the problem of losing the spanner that works the chuck.

David Rose
11-23-2003, 6:34 AM
Oh, no! And I just told the wife that the new PC 310 (stealth gloat) would be the last. If you don't count the new LV low angle block plane, which of course we won't for this purpose :D , then I only have 4 counting the old worn out Stanley. It would really be nice to have one dedicated to the FMT jig. ...hint hint... I think my "pre birthday" is used up. :rolleyes:

You guys really should have told me how much I needed that trim router long ago. That is one handy dude! :)

David

Christian Aufreiter
11-23-2003, 6:52 AM
I have only one router, the small Festool, and I won't buy another one in near future. At the prices you get on tools I'd probably have more. At the moment I don't feel an urgent need and couldn't even afford another one. The Hitachi router costs about EUR 400 here.

Regards,

Christian

Don Farr
11-23-2003, 7:17 AM
I only have four, but I sure would like to have a real workhorse to premantly mount in my router table. That is a long way from Ken's eight.

Dennis Peacock
11-23-2003, 7:48 AM
I mind as well say that I only have 4 routers. I guess I'm a little behind on some of you.....give me time though. :)

Byron Trantham
11-23-2003, 10:00 AM
The answer is obvious. You need a router for every router bit in your collection. That avoids the problem of losing the spanner that works the chuck.

Rob, now this is the kind of thinking I like. Bought a new bit? Gotta have a router to run it! :D

Jim Becker
11-23-2003, 11:30 AM
I mind as well say that I only have 4 routers. I guess I'm a little behind on some of you.....give me time though. :)

Geepers...I only have three. But I might have to add another DW618 so I have a "matched set" for through-dovetails... :D (Maybe I'll sell the PC 7529 so it doesn't feel so lonely...since I got the DW, I haven't picked it up once!)

Richard Pothier
11-23-2003, 3:03 PM
Hi, I have eight, including two laminate trimmers. Two of the shops I worked in some years ago had huge 5 horse power Stanley routers that were fantastic for large cutters. I wish I could get one of them now. I don't recall when they were last made. They had a base that was 10 or 11 inches in diameter!

Richard

Anthony Yakonick
11-23-2003, 3:26 PM
Hey, I'm a turner and I have three routers and about five bits. I bought a PC 8529 in early October and haven't pluged it in yet, but I "had" to buy it ($109)

Jonathan Patrick
11-23-2003, 4:37 PM
Duh!!! When I saw the title of this post I immediately told my wife that one truly can ask a stupid question. My answer, as I told her, was "How many can you fit into your shop?"

Seriously, my answer would be when any one of them sits unused. I have four. Freud 2000, 25 year old 1 hp Craftsman(a great router I might add), PC 690 With multiple bases, and a PC 1 3/4hp VS with multiple bases. The router as most know is such a versatile tool. I would be lost in my shop without at least one. I say aquire as many as are needed

Jonathan

Lynn Sonier
11-23-2003, 5:15 PM
I only have two - the PC 691 and a new Milwaukee - not the newest one. I really like both of them and use the Milwaukee in the router table. I like the way it drops out neatly to change bits. I got the Milwaukee on Ubid at a fairly good price. If I get one more tool, I will not be able to enter the shop as my shop is very small. However, if I don't buy some kind of tool every month or so, I start getting withdrawal symptons.