PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Confetti Lamp

Don Fuss
01-17-2007, 8:12 PM
Looks like I missed the confetti lamp party a little while ago. I didn't even know these things existed until a recent post here, so I gave one a try. I wanted to keep the shape simple and let the curl speak for itself since it's a pretty busy piece. I plan to do a bunch of these, so I'm hoping for critiques.

Thanks for looking!

Mark Pruitt
01-17-2007, 8:22 PM
Great looking piece of maple, and great form. I especially like the cove detail around the opening.

Robert McGowen
01-17-2007, 8:24 PM
It seems that you have all of the usual questions about the lamps already worked out. That really is a nice piece of wood and with a simple shape like a lamp, the wood does need to do most of the speaking! The collar at the top is a nice touch. The only thing I personally would do is drill the hole a little deeper so that the shoulder of the candle was even with the top of the lamp. If you are making a bunch of them, you should have some happy recipients.

John Chandler
01-17-2007, 9:33 PM
Very nice looking.

Kevin McPeek
01-17-2007, 9:57 PM
Looks great. That one is difficult to critique. Good form, good wood, F&F look spot on. The only thing I would say is the lamp could be sunk just a hair more, and thats probably more personal preference than anything.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-17-2007, 9:58 PM
Don, great job on a beautiful hunk of wood! :)

Mark Cothren
01-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Nice work, Don. Looks like a great little lamp to me!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Nice work Don! Beautiful piece of wood!

Ernie Nyvall
01-17-2007, 10:42 PM
That is a nice piece of wood Don. I like the collar and the way the bottom curves up. My own personal preference would be to curve it on around to the collar in a similar fashion. The shoulder looks a bit abrupt and gives the top kind of a flat look.

Keith Burns
01-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Nice piece of wood and a nice lamp !!:) :) I think I agree with Ernie on the form.

John Hart
01-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Hmmm...Now I see what you guys are talking about, but the top seems to flow well with the curve of the collar. If you let your eyes start at the top and move down, I think it has a cool curve to it. My first thought was that this form would work well with any wood...regardless of figure.

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2007, 11:21 PM
It is a beauty Don. I really like the wood and form. I just got some to try so we will see how it goes. I hope mine turn out this nice.

Jonathon Spafford
01-17-2007, 11:28 PM
I really like that piece... I love confetti lamps and this is a beauty. The curves are really cool and it is simple and perfect for the wood. You did a great job on it.

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Nice lamp Don! Beautiful wood - gots to love the curly stuff! I like the overall form, finish looks good but what I really like is the collar. Great effect! Overall - nice work!

Jeffrey Fusaro
01-18-2007, 7:36 AM
don--

in the first photo, the lamp appears to be too proud of the base.

however, upon looking at the second photo, i think that you nailed the transition between the base and the lamp shoulder. i wouldn't mess with it.

the form is nice. good tension in the curves, with good flow around the form. i prefer shapes that are assymetrical from top to bottom. they are more elegant, i.m.o.

Tom Sherman
01-18-2007, 8:48 AM
Thats a very pretty confetti light Don. I like the form and fit.