PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a power feed.

Chris Rosenberger
01-17-2007, 8:05 PM
Is there a way to mount a power feed to a table, that does not involve drilling holes in the table? If there is could you please post some pictures?
I do not want to drill holes in my shaper table.

Jamie Buxton
01-17-2007, 8:12 PM
Every shaper I've seen in a professional shop has holes drilled in the table to mount a power feed. There are big forces applied to the feeder, and you don't want it walking around.

That said, I suppose you could weld up some sort of bracket which bolts to the shaper's base, wraps around the back, comes forward, and thus provides a spot to mount the feeder. It'd have to be deflection-free. But it seems like a lot of work to make, and probably would never be as good as just drilling the table.

Chris Rosenberger
01-17-2007, 8:27 PM
I forgot mention the power feed I that I an using. It is a 1/4hp. I have a 1hp on my big shaper & it is bolted to the table.

Mike Heidrick
01-17-2007, 8:30 PM
Delta makes a plate that clamps on. Have you seen it?

Jamie Buxton
01-17-2007, 8:31 PM
I forgot mention the power feed I that I an using. It is a 1/4hp. I have a 1hp on my big shaper & it is bolted to the table.

I'm confused. You've got a 1 hp bolted to your shaper. You say you want to put the 1/4 hp on a shaper. Is that the same shaper, so you'll have two feeders on it, or is it a different shaper?

Rick Cabot
01-17-2007, 8:35 PM
Hi Chris
How large is the feeder? What is the weight?
I have a 1 HP power feeder (120 pounds total base and head) that is used on our 12" jointer. It is not attached directly to the jointer but is mounted on a floor base that is very stable. I will try to send some pictures when I get back to the shop.
Another possibility that I have seen in use is a power feeder that is mounted to a rolling cart with casters than can be locked. The installation seemed to work well and allowed the power feeder to also be used on both the jointer and table saw. I believe that a similar installation was posted on SMC some time ago. Run a search to see if you can find the photos.
Rick Cabot

Steve Clardy
01-17-2007, 9:55 PM
I tried the oak board and two c-clamps when I first got my power feeder for the table saw. Recessed the power feeder hloddown bolts into the oak board. [Board stretched across the depth of table saw. C-clamp on each end.

Didn't work well. 1 1/2" oak board flexed enough I couldn't keep pressure on the feeder.

I finally gritted my teeth and bored 4 holes in my new tablesaw top.

Chris Rosenberger
01-17-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm confused. You've got a 1 hp bolted to your shaper. You say you want to put the 1/4 hp on a shaper. Is that the same shaper, so you'll have two feeders on it, or is it a different shaper?

Jamie, I am confused also. But I am that way most of the time.
It is a different shaper. I have a large shaper with a 1hp PF that I use for raised panels & larger moldings. I have a smaller shaper I use for door stiles & small moldings. I have been hand feeding on the small shaper & I now want to add a 1/4hp PF.

Mike,
I did not know that Delta has a mounting plate. I will check into that. Thanks. :D

Chris Rosenberger
01-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi Chris
How large is the feeder? What is the weight?
I have a 1 HP power feeder (120 pounds total base and head) that is used on our 12" jointer. It is not attached directly to the jointer but is mounted on a floor base that is very stable. I will try to send some pictures when I get back to the shop.
Another possibility that I have seen in use is a power feeder that is mounted to a rolling cart with casters than can be locked. The installation seemed to work well and allowed the power feeder to also be used on both the jointer and table saw. I believe that a similar installation was posted on SMC some time ago. Run a search to see if you can find the photos.
Rick Cabot

Hello Rick,
The feeder is 1/4hp & weighs about 70 lbs. I will be using it for cabinet door stiles & small moldings. I will do a search. Thanks.
Chris

Steve I thought about the oak idea but was afraid it flex. Thanks.

Ken Riach
01-17-2007, 11:49 PM
I believe that Grizzly has a mounting that would let you mount the 1/4 HP power feeder feeder without drillling any holes in the shaper table. I am not sure of the part number off hand just serach on power feeders and you should find the mount.

Ken

Jim Dailey
01-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Chris,
Ken & Mike are correct about the bolt on mounting plate Grizzly's # is G4175 @$32.95 pg 65 in the 2006 catalog.

Hope this helps, jim

Chris Rosenberger
01-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Thanks Jim & Ken.
I will check it out.

Rod Sheridan
01-18-2007, 8:26 AM
Hi, having tried a clamp on approach with a 1/4 HP feeder on a shaper, I resorted to drilling the shaper top.

The clamp on mounting method always moved under load eventually.

Regards, Rod.

Jay Brewer
01-18-2007, 9:09 AM
Hi Chris, I had the Grizzly bolt on mount on a previous shaper I owned, with a 1/4 hp feeder and it worked fine, needs to be mounted on the corner of the shaper to work the best.