PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Stands

Burt Alcantara
01-17-2007, 6:08 PM
I just mounted my grinder and Wolverine to my El Cheapo HF Utility Stand. The problem I'm finding is the stand is vibrating when the grinder goes up to speed and when it comes down. I can stop the vibrating by hugging the stand but I do really want to do that? So many things to hug...a stand is not one of them.

So, what do you guys do for a stand? Pictures welcome!

BTW, speaking of HF, I have the $35 "HSS" turning tools. I am burning them rather easily using the 60 grit WC white wheel. Is this to be expected or am I being too aggressive?

Thanks,
Burt

Gordon Seto
01-17-2007, 7:39 PM
Burt,

Those $35 HF gouges are relative small size. The contact area with the grinding wheel is quite small. You have to use very light touch, you have to almost pull back the tool. The weight of the tool itself is more than enough.

Gordon

Ken Fitzgerald
01-17-2007, 7:41 PM
Burt....I bought a cheap stand from Woodcraft.....added some plywood to the top and some plywood on the horizontal braces about mid way down the legs making a shelf for the jig attachments. It's pretty steady.

I don't remember what you have for a grinder. I bought the Woodcraft slowspeed grinder....1725 rpm IIRC......If I leave in on there too long it will turn the HSS blue...but I've been assured it doesn't weaken the steel. Now that I've been sharpening for nearly a year...I can attest that it doesn't take as long and I don't grind away as much steel. It does take a light touch but not to worry....

Burt Alcantara
01-17-2007, 7:52 PM
Part of my problem is I have too much space from the edge of the stand to the wheel. On top of that, the top is not very secure to the stand it self so I'll have to ditch it and go with something else.

I found I was grinding the vari-jig. Not a good idea. Another reason to look for something else.

At the rate I'm going, the HF tools will be stumps by the weekend.

Bill Wyko
01-17-2007, 8:03 PM
Dewalt makes a saw horse with separate locking feet. I use it to hold my mini lathe and my 12" dewalt compound sliding miter saw and it stays very still plus you can lock and unlock any tool that has the feet on it. Feet are sold separatly too. The feet will also let the tool sit flat on a bench.

Mark Pruitt
01-17-2007, 8:05 PM
Burt, since the pedestal is hollow, you might be able to fill it with sand....that might add enough weight to stabilize it. (That's assuming it has a closed foot which it might not.)

Ken Garlock
01-17-2007, 8:10 PM
Hi Burt.

I bought a grinder and stand (http://www.grizzly.com/products/g7120) from Grizzly several years ago. It is a good heavy duty stand weighing in at 49#. Give it a look....

Lisa Gilbert
01-17-2007, 8:34 PM
Dewalt makes a saw horse with separate locking feet. I use it to hold my mini lathe and my 12" dewalt compound sliding miter saw and it stays very still plus you can lock and unlock any tool that has the feet on it. Feet are sold separatly too. The feet will also let the tool sit flat on a bench.

Bill, do you have a link to this? It sounds like it would work for us.

John Hart
01-17-2007, 11:01 PM
I built my grinder surface mount into my lathe bench. It's convenient and a good solid mount. I just went out and took this picture showing the orientation. I have the slow speed grinder next to the high speed but I use the high speed most often.

Keith Burns
01-18-2007, 10:23 AM
I got the Woodcraft Grinder Stand. Cost is $55.00. Has some storage. Small footprint. Have my Grinder and Wolverine on it at it works great. It is the stand on the left in the picture.

Matt Meiser
01-18-2007, 1:13 PM
I'm getting ready to make one like the Woodcraft. Mine will be steel, but there's no reason you couldn't use plywood to built the column and fill it with sand. Personally I think the store-bought stands are too low.

James Duxbury
01-18-2007, 1:26 PM
Burt,

I mounted my slow speed grinder to 3/4" plywood and screwed about a 16" length of 2 x 4 to the bottom. This way I can clamp it in the wood vise when needed and stick it under the bench out of the way otherwise.

Paul Engle
01-18-2007, 2:07 PM
Burt,
my delta wet/grinder shares bench with delta bench drill press, bolted to floor , bolted to wall. hvy ply 1 1/4 and 2x6 frame and legs . formica top to keep h2o from soaking the ply and wall .

George Summers
01-18-2007, 3:59 PM
Can't see it really well, but if you look in the background you will see the stand I have my 6" general purpose grinder on. The base is an old 16" steel tire rim. The upright is two 2x6's fastened together in a "T". The "T" is centered over three holes in the rim and a lag bolt run up throu the holes into the three wings of the "T". The table is a 2x8 fastened to the top of the "T". The grinder is mounted on the table. Next to no cost and it has been working for over thirty years.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=493&cat=198

George

John Hart
01-18-2007, 4:06 PM
Hey George....what are those really nice looking 4X4's in the foreground/right? Sure looks like a bunch of pretty vases in the rough!!

George Summers
01-18-2007, 4:11 PM
Hey George....what are those really nice looking 4X4's in the foreground/right? Sure looks like a bunch of pretty vases in the rough!!

Those are mahogany, the start of the cabriole legs for this:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=1310&cat=197

George

John Hart
01-18-2007, 4:16 PM
Wow. That's nice! Even if it is fl..fl...flatwork.:D Beautiful piece of furniture.:)