PDA

View Full Version : Toy chest for Twins first Birthday

Mike Hill
01-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Our twin grandsons will be 1 year old next week. I finished this a week ago, but have been so busy I forgot to post it! My Daughter asked me to build a toy chest that could later be used for storage. She also wanted to keep the cost down so.....the oak I used is from the BORG :) In the future I would try to find some quarter sawed oak, but am really happy with how this came out. Finish is Golden Oak Minwax and 3 coats of wipe on Poly. The plan was from furnitureplans.com and called a "Mission Style Blanket Chest".

I had some lid supports from Woodcraft, but they would not work on this since the lid is sitting on no mortise hinges. I am searching the web for something to support the open lid so it will not fall on the boys!

Mike

Ted Shrader
01-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Mike -

The boys have a treasure that will last a lifetime. The inevitable "scars" to the chest will each have a story to go with them.

Don't forget those lid supports.

Well done,
Ted

Roy Wall
01-17-2007, 1:14 PM
Awesome MIKE!! It's beautiful.....

Yeah...get a pair of soft closing hinges and your good to go...

Those little ones are going to love "Grandpa's Toy Chest"!!:)

Alfred Clem
01-17-2007, 2:42 PM
Kids love to crawl into chests like that. You should drill some one-inch air holes into the back, just for safety sake. PLEASE!!!

John Timberlake
01-17-2007, 3:12 PM
Great job. The curve in the front adds a lot of interest. Which one gets to pass it on to their kids? May have to make another one.

Pete Brown
01-17-2007, 3:30 PM
Very nice! I still remember my toy box, and I'm sure these boys will remember theirs.

There are specific requirements for lid supports/hinges that go on toy chests. Google "toy box safety hinge" (http://www.google.com/search?q=toy+box+safety+hinge) for more info. You need to make sure they won't pinch (or break) little fingers when they shut (standard lid supports will pinch) but also still allow a child inside the box to lift the lid up from the inside.

In addition, I strongly agree with the air hole idea. You could cut one on each side and have them do double-duty as lifting handles. Many toy boxes (http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro/baby/14639/Storage-LimitedEditionToyBox.html) also have a cutout in the front to help prevent the finger injuries. I know doing both will mess up the finish a bit, but I think it is a really good idea. Those boxes usually also have raised sides to prevent fingers from getting pinched on the sides or near the hinge, but that is too much of a change to make.

One last suggestion (from my own experience over the last year) is to block out the inside bottom. The curve looks great, but kids love little things that roll (in my case under a dresser) so you end up having to move furniture a lot. I blocked the opening from behind with a board that fully covers the opening and goes to about 3/16" from the floor. The look doesn't change much (especially if you stain it darker so it looks more like a shadow), but you won't have to worry about moving it around all the time. That's more of a convenience, though, and is not anywhere near as important as the safety concerns.

My own boy turns 1 next month. I'd make a toy box, but my wife told me cubbies would be better for him.:eek: I did make him a bright green bookcase (http://community.irritatedvowel.com/blogs/pete_browns_blog/archive/2006/03/18/282.aspx) (screwed to the wall for safety reasons) finished just after he was born.

Pete

Corey Hallagan
01-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Very nice Mike. Looks great. I am sure this will be in the family for along time.

Corey

Mike Hill
01-19-2007, 8:04 AM
Thanks for the nice comments and safety suggestions. I am having a really tough time adding the 2 spring loaded lid supports. I believe the problem is that the plan for the chest called for no mortise hinges. Seems like no matter where I position the lid supports it bends the back of the hinges. In addition I am using 2 of the heavier duty lid supports and they are not quite strong enough. Any suggestions form anyone on a really simple lid support for a chest? I calculated the inch pounds for the lid at approximately 150#

Mike

Tyler Howell
01-19-2007, 8:53 AM
Very Nice Mike!!
A classic

Tom Bickley
01-19-2007, 9:41 AM
I have used these supports and they worked great for me.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=414&TabSelect=Details

Mike Hill
01-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Tom: These are what I have been looking for. Problem I am having is that the lid calculation works out to 143 inch lbs. 22"X13#/2= 143. These are only good up to about 86 inch/lbs. Do you think 2 of them would handle the additional weight?

Mike

Pete Brown
01-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Two of these (http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Lid%20Stays%20and%20Supports/CatID/Lid%20Stays/showprod/1) would probably do it

Counter Balance Support
Back Mounted - Internal Spring. For use in toy boxes, Hi-Fi Cabinets, anywhere a heavy lid can harm a child or requires fingertip operation, and flexibility.

Non-handed
90 inches per .16 torque per support
To determine the torque range use the following formula: Torque = lid weight (lbs.) x width of lid (inches) divided by 2
Lid weight is total unhinged weight of the lid
Lid width is the distance from the hinge to the front of the lid
Torque ranges higher than 90 inches/lbs can be reached by adding supports
SKU LA703L

Mike Hill
01-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks to everyone. I found some gas struts while looking at other recommendations that should be perfect for this application.
Mike

Pete Brown
01-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks to everyone. I found some gas struts while looking at other recommendations that should be perfect for this application.

Great! Be sure to post some updated photos once you make the modifications

Pete