PDA

View Full Version : Question about fence rails (long)

Jason Morgan
01-17-2007, 12:18 PM
I am getting ready to move my shop from the larger end of the basement to the smaller end. I know, I know, that is the wrong direction, but we need the space and money is tight since we will be finishing the basement, hence the shop move.

Anyway, I think everying will work out fairly well except my Powermatic 64A Contractor type TS has the 50" fence rails on it and it would work much better in the space if I had the 30" rail set. That leaves me with 3 options. I would like to keep the saw for quite a while longer.

1. Just cut the rails that I have down to 30" and if I want to go back to 50", buy a new set of 50" rails. Looks fairly straightforward to me. Get out the hack saw and start hacking. Then build an extension table to fit the new rail length. Am I wrong? (this is the cheapest route short term with some outlay later)

2. Buy a new aftermarket fence system with 30" rails. This seems more expensive, but would allow me to upgrade my fence. I dont mind the Bies clone fence that PM supplies with its saws. I replaced the UHMW plastic face with a flatter piece of MDF and have had good luck with it. (this is the most expensive route I think, anyone know what a 30" beis fence costs?)

3. Buy 30" factory rails now and store the 50" rails for later. I dont know how hard it is to get these. I imagine I would have to get them from PM. Cost should be between option 1 and 2 above, but I dont know that for sure.

Any suggestions?

Jamie Buxton
01-17-2007, 12:37 PM
I think you've covered all the options. I'd cut the existing rails. Don't spend money until you reach that bridge.

Rick Lizek
01-19-2007, 11:55 AM
There is a fourth option...
Because of my metalworking experience I was able to modify my friends Bisemeyer fence and table by cutting and hinging it, so it worked like a drop leaf table. Then he had the best of both worlds. A smaller rip capacity for the smaller space where he kept the saw but in a moments notice he could convert it back to 50" rip capacity.

CPeter James
01-19-2007, 7:05 PM
Could you just move the rails to the left and kind of center them on the saw instead of being offset to the right. Then when you want the longer right side capacity, just move them back. When you find out how much the longer rails cost to replace, you may not want to cut them off. I am looking for the 50" angle iron that goes under the front rail on a 66 and choked when they told me the price.

CPeter