PDA

View Full Version : New Laser update

Paul Torrigino
01-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Hi all! Well, I got the exhaust all hooked up and working this weekend, so the last two days I've been experimenting with materials.. .and I'm having a blast!

I've found that it vectors 1/4" mdf beautifully, as well as 3/8" bender board. I tried cutting some acrylic, and the smell is awful as you all say, so I'm holding off on acrylic items for now and concentrating on wood designs.

The Epilog 45w is working great so far. My biggest learning curve so far has been the CorelDRAW, but I'm getting it pretty fast.

The exhaust is to the left of the machine, and I will build a box for it and use the top as another work table.

I've also attached a couple of pictures of two new personalized sign designs I've come up with in the last two days. The materials are hand cut 1" redwood for the bases and then 1/4" mdf and 3/8" wood for the appliques. They measure about 23" wide each. Both have just a base coat so far. I'll be doing the finished color treatment and sealers this weekend.

So I'm thinking that in a few weeks I'll have a good selection of new signs to offer on our site.

Vicky Orsini
01-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Very cool!

Acrylic does stink, but not as badly as I thought it would. Our machine & exhaust do a pretty good job of getting it out of the house. We wait a minute or two after cutting before opening the hatch, which also helps. ;) Mind you, I don't know if the neighbours appreciate our exhaust system's efficiency as much as we do. :D

Frank Corker
01-17-2007, 12:48 PM
I agree with what Vicky says, certain acrylics stink, cast acrylic has a sweetish smell but extruded (the type your registration plates on your vehicles have) stink when they are being cut.

Paul Torrigino
01-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Yes Vicky, it's not too bad INSIDE, but it smells awful outside... I don't know about the neighbors... well, I did put the vent facing away from their house, but I'm not sure how far it will drift. I think I'm okay now in the winter since its cold and breezy but I'm more worried about the summer when its hot and still! I'm sure the wood cutting will be okay - any stray smell would be like a barbecue or something... but that plastic.... yikes!

Pete Smart
01-17-2007, 3:06 PM
Great looking work....I appreciate the info. on MDF. I hope you will post
the finished product sometime.

Aaron Koehl
01-17-2007, 5:02 PM
Yep, when the laser fires up on the acrylic, you can smell it several acres away.

However, nothing holds a candle to the smell from rubber stamps.. even the so named "low-odor" variety. ugh.

Dave Fifield
01-17-2007, 6:26 PM
Nice work on the signs Paul - it sounds like you're having great fun! Good idea about making the exhast fan cover into more bench space.

Frank - our vehicle registration plates (in California) are made of aluminum (or aluminium as you spell it over there). I have noticed different smells from various acrylics though.

While we're on the topic, FWIW, I used a piece of orangy-brown burl veneer just the other day - it gave off a wonderful sweet smell when I vector cut it - a simply gorgeous aroma that was nothing like I'd ever smelled before. Anyone any idea what kind of wood that might be? I'll get a picture of it posted later on.

Bruce Volden
01-17-2007, 8:18 PM
Yes Vicky, it's not too bad INSIDE, but it smells awful outside... I don't know about the neighbors... well, I did put the vent facing away from their house, but I'm not sure how far it will drift. I think I'm okay now in the winter since its cold and breezy but I'm more worried about the summer when its hot and still! I'm sure the wood cutting will be okay - any stray smell would be like a barbecue or something... but that plastic.... yikes!

Wait until you engrave or cut some leather or bone/antler. Then wait til you do some rubber stamps:D :D :D :D :D

Bruce

Vicky Orsini
01-18-2007, 9:02 AM
Wait until you engrave or cut some leather or bone/antler. Then wait til you do some rubber stamps:D :D :D :D :D LOL! Are we engravers destined to work the midnight shift for fear of reprisal from the neighbours? :p

Joe Pelonio
01-18-2007, 9:07 AM
LOL! Are we engravers destined to work the midnight shift for fear of reprisal from the neighbours? :p
For me it's the opposite, no one else is home during the day so I'm fine with any foul smells. I'll have to watch it on the weekend work though. This time of year no one has windows open though, so summer is when it may become an issue. Hopefully the location of my exhaust and distance to the next house will keep anyone from noticing. I dread the thought of the fire department being called as happened several times when I was in a business park, because my son works as a reserve medic at the local station.

Mike Hood
01-18-2007, 12:22 PM
I thought about running a 4" PVC "stack" up the side of the house to get the warm smokey exhaust high enough in the airstream that it would disperse.

Luckily, we all have fireplaces here and on any given morning you get smoke smells in the air at this time of the year.

Bob Keyes
01-18-2007, 1:02 PM
Dave,

It's probably cocobolo or some other rosewood. They all have a lovely smell when burned or cut. That's where the name comes from.

Bill Cunningham
01-18-2007, 1:35 PM
Sometimes, it not best to have a high stack, particularly when running 'real' stinky stuff.. Most of the particles are heavier than air, and you are just dispersing them over the area for more people to 'enjoy'(?) A exhaust right near the ground, sometimes allows the crud to be trapped in the grass and bushes rather than being scattered around the neighborhood..Gives you a reason 'not' to waste a beautiful summer day cutting the grass but of course, you will have to put up with all the coughing birds and squirrels..:D

Carol VanArnam
01-18-2007, 9:05 PM
LOL! Are we engravers destined to work the midnight shift for fear of reprisal from the neighbours? :p

Vicky- I thought I was just becoming a vampire.... that's why I always laser after midnight....