PDA

View Full Version : Leigh jig storage box

Sparky Paessler
11-21-2003, 5:21 PM
This is a box I made a while back to store my Leigh dovetail jig in. After I had knocked the jig off of a table and broke some of the pieces I decided that I better make something to store it in when I wasn't using it. the box is made out of Catalpa.

Steve King
11-21-2003, 8:13 PM
Sparky,
That is a good idea to store the jig and accessories. Nice work. One question, did you hand cut the dove tails? :D :D

Dave Arbuckle
11-22-2003, 12:59 PM
That is really cool, Sparky.

I notice you have wheels on it. I occasionally have to transport my jig (I teach classes on it), I wonder approximately how heavy the box and jig are? Mine is not faring all that well from kicking around in the car unprotected.

Dave

Tom Hintz
11-22-2003, 1:13 PM
Very cool!
I made one for my Leigh a couple of years ago but I stood it upon end so it goes in the corner out of the way. It works geat though, the jig is protected and everything is right theere when I need it.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/d4case.html

Von Bickley
11-22-2003, 5:28 PM
Sparky,
You could always replace the old casters with the new ones you just got. Might be a little over-kill ;)

Jim Young
11-22-2003, 6:31 PM
Hmmm, "extreme storage" comes to mind.

I like it.

My RC helicopters don't even have a box that nice.

Sparky Paessler
11-22-2003, 10:49 PM
That is really cool, Sparky.

I notice you have wheels on it. I occasionally have to transport my jig (I teach classes on it), I wonder approximately how heavy the box and jig are? Mine is not faring all that well from kicking around in the car unprotected.

Dave

Dave

I have wheels on on end because I store it under my work table and the wheels let me easily roll it under the table. As far as weight the Catalpa is Very light weight so the jig and the box are light enought that I can pick them up and move them around fairly easily.

Von
I think that if I put the new castors on it it wouldn't fit under the table anymore. I haven't really decided what I'm going to use the castors on yet but maybe an outfeed/assembly/downdraft sanding table.(small shop)

Steve
Of course those dovetails are hand cut. :rolleyes: :D :D

Charles McKinley
11-22-2003, 11:08 PM
Hi Sparky

That is a great idea. I have to start using my jig so I can make a box like that for it.

Byron Trantham
11-23-2003, 10:15 AM
I haven't really decided what I'm going to use the castors on yet but maybe an out-feed/assembly/downdraft sanding table.(small shop)

Sparky, you just gave me a great idea. I have a permanently attached fold-down out-feed table on my TS. Putting a down draft panel there would be a great use of space. I build one [portable] but I rarely use it because it's so awkward and not really big enough for most of my projects. I'm getting that design today! Thanks for the great idea! :D

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
11-23-2003, 6:56 PM
This is a box I made a while back to store my Leigh dovetail jig in. After I had knocked the jig off of a table and broke some of the pieces I decided that I better make something to store it in when I wasn't using it. the box is made out of Catalpa.

This is great, I have a Leigh as well, this box looks perfect!

Just what I need to do as well,

take care,
Jim