PDA

View Full Version : Backsaw

Joe Meazle
01-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Hello,
I just attended the first session of a Furniture design class offered at a near by university. I ma pretty excited 14000sf of work space a very nice machine room (all Canadian General and Powermatic), drafting room sanding room, finish room, gluing area, and my own bench. I have most of the stuff I need for the class but I do not feel that my backsaw is up to snuff. I was wondering if anyone tunes up old saws and sells them? Or if someone has a nice one that they want to part with. This may belong in the classifieds but I want to hear form the pure neanders first.
Thanks for the help,
Joe

jonathan snyder
01-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Joe,

On the recomendation of another creeker, I purchased a nice vintage Bishop dovetail saw all tuned up, sharpened and ready to go from a fellow in Florida. PM me if you would like his contact info, as he does not have a web site.

Jonathan

Dan Forman
01-16-2007, 11:56 PM
Joe---No help for your saw, but I envy you for having that class. Nothing like that is available in my neck of the woods.

Jonathon---I'd be interested in that contact info.

Joe Meazle
01-17-2007, 12:49 AM
Thanks Dan

I am just giddy. SWMBO is already tired of me talking about. I am going to have to meet up with some of the local creekers just let it all out. it is a fairly new program( first year second semester). They don't even have a wesite yet. But they do have some fresh grant money that filled that shop up with all kinds of goodies. If my SWMBO did not work at the University I would not have known about it. The chair of the Art Dept teaches the calss and the shop tec has a Degree in furniture design and studied in Denmark FWIW. I never recalled being so excited when a syllabus was passed out my first couple of times through college.
Got to try to sleep now I still have to work for a living.
Joe

Thanks Jonathan,

Joe

Zahid Naqvi
01-17-2007, 4:30 PM
How can you keep that a secret :eek: Ok cough it up

I might be able to help you with the back saw. I have a shop made saw vise and several files, I have sharpened a few of mine and they perform great.

Michael Hammers
01-17-2007, 5:04 PM
I had my backsaw and dovetail saw made by Vlad Spehar of Spehar tools. Amazing saw and craftsmanship. Tracks like a bloodhound. Fits like a glove. Good luck!
Cheers!
Michael

Joe Meazle
01-17-2007, 11:29 PM
No secret Z,
I knew about the applied Arts program last fall but no night classes. I just found about the night offering a few days ago. I just got offically regresterid today since I had to make application to the university. The prof. let me attend even though I was in process. If you want to go tour they are very pround of the program and are eager to get the word out. the chair has asked for a PR budget. I would be happy to send some contact info your way.

Joe

Rick de Roque
01-17-2007, 11:49 PM
OK Joe, Email the info. You've been holding out on us:D Is that at UCA? I would love to do something like that. Come on out with it....:D

Rick

Joe Meazle
01-18-2007, 12:09 AM
Rick,

UALR

I was an ART major of a few semesters at UCA back in the early 90's and happened to get the prereqs for this calss then. They are waving the prereqs for folks with furniture making experience.

Like i said to Z it is fairly new and I barely had time to get in myself. Betsy (LMOL) works there and took a weaving class when they were putting the program together. Or I would still have no idea that it had even started. My prof. is supposed to bring me some printed info still no website. If you serch "furiture design" the UALR website you can find a course discription and that is about it. Just call the UALR art Dept. is the best way to get infor right now. they love to give tours.

Are you going to Dallas anytime soon?

Rick de Roque
01-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Rick,

UALR

I was an ART major of a few semesters at UCA back in the early 90's and happened to get the prereqs for this calss then. They are waving the prereqs for folks with furniture making experience.

Like i said to Z it is fairly new and I barely had time to get in myself. Betsy (LMOL) works there and took a weaving class when they were putting the program together. Or I would still have no idea that it had even started. My prof. is supposed to bring me some printed info still no website. If you serch "furiture design" the UALR website you can find a course discription and that is about it. Just call the UALR art Dept. is the best way to get infor right now. they love to give tours.

Are you going to Dallas anytime soon?
Will be going to Dallas in the next 3 weeks. Need me to pick something up?

Rick

Zahid Naqvi
01-18-2007, 11:03 AM
questions.
1. How much would it cost.
2. Who is the instructor.
3. How many classes per week.