PDA

View Full Version : Nova DVR-XP or Stubby S750?

Bill Huang
01-16-2007, 9:50 PM
Hi everybody,

I am Bill from Alberta Canada, this is my first post, please bear me.

I've been turning for about a year not very extensively, most small stuff like pens & etc. Recently I've started to turn bowls, WOW, it is so great I really enjoy it. But my little Delta Midi is not very suitable for bowl turning, now you know what's gonna happen - I am looking for a major upgrade.

After so many mistakes made in power tool purchasing for so many year, this time I'll try to make it right. My plan is to purchase a bigger enough lathe and good enough to last my life, and probable my kids’ as well. I wish it will be my second and last wood lathe, the Delta Midi will be dedicated to pen turning and buffing. Some limitations apply: 1) the quality is primary; 2) size does matter, it has to be large enough for larger bowl and platter (>20"), but it can't be too big or too heavy to move due to the nature of my shop - small basement shop and no direct access; 3) versatility is very important, it will be mainly for bowls, platters, and some spindle work as well; 4) it should be available to Canada; 5) it should be reasonable priced for Canadian; 6) cost is always a concern especially for my BOSS

Based on above, those beautiful full size Oneway are out, because it is too big and too heavy to handle, and it is much more expensive to buy in Canada even it is made in Canada; Powermatic 3520B is out too, due to similar reason plus the price tag is not reasonable in Canada – I have to pay about US$3,800 to get one; Jet is not for Canadian; General is more for spindle turning; Vega is not available in Canada. After some research the list was down to three: Nova DVR-XP, Vicmarc 300 Shortbed (longbed is out), and my dream lathe Stubby S750. Nova seems very well made, easy to move around and larger capacity with outrigger, more importantly it fits the bill best (Boss will be happier), it will cost me about $2,500 Canadian dollar plus a free Supernova2 chuck; the Vic 300 is a nice machine, it would cost me somewhere $5,500 Canadian dollar plus a free VM 120 chuck, the problem with this one is the shortbed that would limit the possibility to turn longer work, also I doubt how to move it into my basement, so pretty much it is out too; Stubby S750 will cost me quite a bit more somewhere $7,500 Canadian dollar, but it is the most versatile lathe, I really like the design, and most beautiful part is it can be easily moved to my basement, the heaviest part is only 146lbs. So my final list is Nova and Stubby, I have a very tough decision to make here.

I am not asking opinion of which one is better lathe, because I know the Nova is not in same league as Stubby. My question is for a newbie like me, for same amount of money, does it make more sense to buy a Nova for $2,500 and spend rest $5,000 on wood instead of buying a $7,500 top machine?

I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Bill

Jim Ketron
01-16-2007, 10:03 PM
If your wanting a lathe to last for generations I would get the Stubby!
Sounds like you already know what you want if your funding will allow I would go with it, you will be satisfied with your purchase and have no regrets.
Now for the wood, there is all kinds to be had for free and I'm sure there is plenty of Maple up in your neck of the woods. you can save your $ there;)

Neal Addy
01-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Wow, what a choice! You are smart to approach it this way. Most folks buy a lathe in the "starter" range and within a short time find themselves lusting after bigger iron.

Now for the question of life, the universe, and everything... do you think you would eventually outgrow the Nova and go for the Stubby later anyway?

If the answer is '42' then just go for the Stubby.

Brian McInturff
01-16-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm with Jim on this one too. I saved for an extra year to get my Stubby. Just got it last month.For most of us we only get the chance to make a purchase like this once. If the wallet can swing it then get what your dream is. If you buy the Nova then you will always be thinking about the Stubby. And the rest of the money will get spent and you'll be stuck with the Nova. No disrespect to the Nova owners out there. It's a good lathe too. Brian

Andy Hoyt
01-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Nothing Ventured - Nothing Mayo'd.

Bill - Did you get a price on the Oneway 1640? You could start with the base machine which (obviously) has a 16" swing and permits spindles a snoodge shorter than 40". And when experience and money permit, you could acquire the outboard extension - which creates a machine with a 24" swing while preserving the capacities inboard.

This is what I've got and it is a sweet hunk of Canadian Maple.

They also make a mobility kit for it which (I've heard) works well.

Hey! Welcome, too!

Pete Jordan
01-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Live your dream!
That why were here.

Terry Quiram
01-17-2007, 7:04 AM
Bill

If you don't get the Stubby you will never be completely happy. I know, I turn on a Stubby. The Stubby is a wonderful lathe with some very impressive features. Go for it.

Terry

John Hart
01-17-2007, 7:47 AM
This question is out of my league...so I'll just say, "Welcome to the Abyss" :)

Tom Sherman
01-17-2007, 9:22 AM
I'm with John Hart on this one, Welcome to the Creek.

Mark Pruitt
01-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Two things:

Buy the Stubby. If you're even able to talk about buying it, buy it.
Don't completely rule out your Midi for bowls while you're pondering your decision and waiting. These were all turned on my Delta Midi:55329 55330 55331
55332 55333

Bob Hallowell
01-17-2007, 11:19 AM
If you are anything like me you know what you want, I just bought a new palmgren lathe the replace my shot grizzly. I really like the palmgren and it will be in my shop for a few years but someday there will be some mustard on my floor. If I could of bought it now I would of and could of saved some money on buying a lathe that will be replaced someday. I just could't swing it.
all the lathe's your talking about are big dollars lathes so spend the extra to get what you want so you not doing this again in 5 years!

Bob

Adam Bauer
01-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Bill,

I'm confused a bit about your knocking out the Powermatic. You list it as too expensive at $3,800 usd. However if you convert usd to canadian dollars it comes out to 4,457 canadian dollars. That puts it at 3 grand less than the stubby plus it can be taken apart and the parts be moved into your basement one at a time.

However if you are set on your two choices I'd recommend the Nova. I personally dont think the stubby is worth the extra 5 grand and that money can buy you some excellent tools, wood, and training classes.

Steven Wilson
01-17-2007, 1:47 PM
The Stuby was one of the ones I was looking at when I bought my Oneway 2436 and would be a fine lathe for you. Don't be too afraid of large woodworking machines. For example, the Oneway when fully assembled is very heavy but it does break down into somewhat reasonable pieces. With a little work the motor and controls can be removed and what you basically have left is the main tube that can be slid down into the basement. The Powermatic 3520B is similar and disassembles into fairly small pieces. The headstock/motor assembly, tail stock, and legs can all be removed from the main body. Each sub assembly is fairly reasonable weight wise and can be moved into a basement shop fairly easily. I help a friend move a 3520 into his basement and it wasn't too bad; it will also be fairly easy to remove from the basement when the time comes. Good luck on your choice.

Kurt Rosenzweig
01-17-2007, 2:47 PM
I agree with the Powermatic. Hard to beat.

John Shuk
01-17-2007, 4:24 PM
If you can swing the Stubby it is hard to beat. Dvr-XP just isn't in the same league.

Randall Houghton
01-17-2007, 9:48 PM
Hi Bill
I have the Nova DVR and I have a good friend who has the Stubby750and I've turned on both. I've had the Nova about two years and I turn hollow forms and bowls for fun and furniture parts and architectural pieces for customers. I have added one bed section and my spindle length is about 36" max. Low speed torque about 50 rpms is good and I have cast iron legs that help in the weight dept. The Stubby is a whole different class of lathe. Engineering wise you willnever be able to wear it out. It primarly geared torward faceplate turning but is capable of spindle work up to about 36". It is more than capable of handling big wood(100kg. and up) with little problems. All I can tell you is that if you have the money and want a lathe to last a lifetime Stubby would be my first choice and Vicmarc would be my second. Check out the user groups on line. Call Stubby in the US and ask if someone near you has their lathe and ask them every question you can think of or see if you can pay a visit and turn on their lathe. Good luck and happy turning.
Regards
Randy

Christopher K. Hartley
01-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I believe I understand your dilemma, as I have been facing the same thing. If I get the lesser cost lathe, I can take the extra money and get the extra items I will need. If I get the more expensive lathe I will have to add to it, over time, the extra items I need. If I don't get the one I really want, even though I have those extra items, I will always be wishing I had gone with the one I wanted. My decision...get what I really want and don't settle. In the long run I believe I'll be happier.:) Hope this helps! From one who is where you are.;)

Bill Huang
01-18-2007, 1:05 AM
Thanks everybody, I really appreciate all your invaluble input.

The reason I ruled out the full size lathe like PM3520, Oneway and Vicmarc 300 is 1) those full size lathe will be very difficult to move to my basement, since my basement entry has a 90 degree turn at very top, it is almost impossible to move a long heavy item down to the basement like those full size lathe's bed, believe me I tried before; 2) my dedicate turning area is little less than half of my shop, it is about 12"x12", my new lathe will share the space with my bansaw, a work table, my delta midi, a drill press, plus wood storage, etc, the footprint of lathe is very critical, the Stubby is super in this matter, I am very impressed.

The Stubby wins my heart,I'll go for it.

Have a good night,

Bill

Jim Becker
01-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Two different classes of machines. If you can afford the Stubby...absolutely the better choice of the two, IMHO. (I love mine!) And I went through a similar evaluation back when I was buying...actually turning on all the machines I was considering. The Stubby was the best fit for what I like to do and it's more space efficient than most machines in its class.