PDA

View Full Version : Question for Yorkcraft planer owners

robert cohen
01-16-2007, 9:48 PM
I have a Ridgid planer and was looking to upgrade to a 15" planer.

I was considering a PM15S For $1699. Then I thought, why not get a YC-15P for $699 and later upgrade to a Byrd Shelix.

Is the PM worth the $1000 over the YC-15P.? Is better to spend on a Shelix?

BTW, I am a weekend woodworker. I have a few major projects under my belt, not a pro by any means.

Thanks. Rob.

Al Willits
01-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Having the York planer, but little exprience, I can say the York does Bazilian cherry, pine, ash, red and white oak and walnut very nice, with little sanding after planing needed.
I have not done any of the curly grained woods, or any other "specialized" grains that some have said are harder to plain.

If money is a issue, buy the York and see what ya think, maybe the other cutting head isn't needed.
If your ever by Mpls, stop and try mine...:)

Al

robert cohen
01-18-2007, 1:25 PM
Does any one else have any suggestions or advice?

Frank Snyder
01-18-2007, 1:38 PM
Although I'm a PM guy, I would encourage you to get the Yorkie with the Byrd head (see http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48501 ). These 15" and 20" four post planers are all basically the same, so if you can get the Yorkie with a Byrd head for the same price as the PM15S, I would do that instead. I'm also not entirely crazy about the spiral knives on the 15S (replacement knives are expensive) and I'm completely sold on the beneifts of the helical head and carbide inserts.

The reason I like PM is that I'm just one town away from WMH Tool Group in Elgin (PM, Jet, Performax, etc...), so I can go knock on their door if I ever need something.

Hope this helps.