PDA

View Full Version : Castors are here! Gloat

Sparky Paessler
11-21-2003, 5:09 PM
The castors that I won in the drawing came in today. Man are they big and heavy duty! Can't wait to use them. I want to thank Don Farr for donating them and Keith for hosting Sawmill Creek so that I could win them. Here is a picture of them.

Michael Stadulis
11-21-2003, 7:07 PM
Sparky,

Do you know where you can buy then and for what price for a swiveller.

Mike

Jim DeLaney
11-21-2003, 8:19 PM
Sparky,

Mike

I bought some very similar ones recently at a local 'industrial' hardware store (McFadden-Dale). Cost was about $30 for the swivelers, and $24 for the fixed base.

Dave Richards
11-22-2003, 8:00 AM
Those look great Sparky. What are you going to put them under?

Mike, if you're going to get some casters for a project, you might want to consider this. Get all four casters with swivels and wheel locks. Get at least two of them with swivel locks as well. Take the wheel locking pad out of the pair with the swivel locks before installing them and put them together at the same end of the cabinet, cart or whatever.

With the swivels locked the unit will be easier to push in a straight line. When you unlock the swivels you can move it in any direction you want.

I have a Craftsman tool cart at work that I have to push around the hospital. I did what I outlined above and it sure makes moving that cart nice. I realize I push that cart farther than most of us can in our shops (mine included) but still, it makes life easier.

George Summers
11-22-2003, 9:15 AM
Sparky,

Mike

Mike

It would probably be appropriate to first check with the company/member that donated them for the give-a-way.

George

Don Farr
11-22-2003, 2:47 PM
Jim is right on the money as far as retail price. Unfortunately, I do not sell casters on an everyday basis. This was a special item that I had left over from a big job for a bakery that we did. They went bankrupt before we completed the job.
Any good local industrial supply house could supply you with good heavy duty casters. Thanks for thinking of me.
Thanks Sparky! Post us a picture when you get to use them on some project. There is a great lumber storage rack in the latest Woodworkers Journal.

David Rose
11-23-2003, 6:46 AM
That is a great tip, Dave! Thanks! My casters never seem to go in the direction I want. With your setup they would.

David

Those look great Sparky. What are you going to put them under?

Mike, if you're going to get some casters for a project, you might want to consider this. Get all four casters with swivels and wheel locks. Get at least two of them with swivel locks as well. Take the wheel locking pad out of the pair with the swivel locks before installing them and put them together at the same end of the cabinet, cart or whatever.

With the swivels locked the unit will be easier to push in a straight line. When you unlock the swivels you can move it in any direction you want.

I have a Craftsman tool cart at work that I have to push around the hospital. I did what I outlined above and it sure makes moving that cart nice. I realize I push that cart farther than most of us can in our shops (mine included) but still, it makes life easier.