PDA

View Full Version : Latest Project

ron hill
01-16-2007, 6:25 PM
Just finished a version of a David Marks piece. I used some walnut that I had left over from a previous project for the tops and legs and cut the wedges in the tenons from some padauk. The legs are at a 7 1/2 degree angle from the top and the edges on the top and legs are cut at a 15 degree angle.Then I routed the edges with a 1" roundover bit.
I don't have a bandsaw so had to use my jigsaw to cut the curved legs and it was hard to get the cut started and it was one of those things where you only get one chance at it. I used a ureathane glue on the mortice and tenons and used some weights rather than clamps. Finished it using a red mahogany dye and 4 coats of post cat lacquer. The mortices were supposed to be 3/4" thick but I forgot to clamp down the jig and it moved (a lot) and ended up making them wider. The tenons fit snuggly but still had small gaps here and there. It was my first attempt at thru tenons.

Corey Hallagan
01-16-2007, 7:28 PM
Very nice! The thru tennons look good! I think the finish looks nice as well. Good job.

Corey

Mike Murray
01-16-2007, 9:52 PM
I like pieces like this. Simple design. Let the wood speak for itself. I may try this. Thanks for posting.