PDA

View Full Version : Router Lift Users - How do YOU zero it out?

Glen Blanchard
01-16-2007, 5:55 PM
This question probably only applies to those who are using a lift that tracks the effective height of the bit (digital or analog).

What method do you use to zero out the lift? I move a small piece of wood over the bit as I raise it until I just barely feel contact. I have tested the reproducability of this though and have come with as much as .008" variance or so. My lift is digital and I sure would like to find a more reproducable method. Wondering if anyone has a better way.

Doug Shepard
01-16-2007, 6:07 PM
I do pretty much the same as you but I've noticed that if the scrap is soft it's easy to run it up a bit higher before you notice it's made contact. So I usually try to use some kind of harder wood. But I'll often double check by laying a straight edge across the plate and checking for too much contact or gaps.

Glen Blanchard
01-16-2007, 7:13 PM
I have thought about placing a piece of sheet metal on one face of a small piece of wood, soldering a wire to it, placing an alligator clip on the router bit and hooking these leads to a buzzer or small light bulb. The light would turn on or the buzzer would sound once the bit kisses the sheet metal. Intuitively this seems like it would yield a quite reproducible result. Might be a bit of overkill though.

Doug Shepard
01-16-2007, 8:11 PM
Overkill? I just bought a Wixey digital readout for my planer. You're asking the wrong guy.:D Go fer it and see what happens, but you better post some pics if it works.

Glen Blanchard
01-16-2007, 8:16 PM
Overkill? I just bought a Wixey digital readout for my planer. You're asking the wrong guy.:D Go fer it and see what happens, but you better post some pics if it works.

Deal. BTW, I have a Wixey angle guage, a Wixey on my planer and a Wixey on my SawStop. That DRO on the table saw is sweeeeet. Talk about repeatable rips!!!

John Keane
01-16-2007, 10:32 PM
I'll bite. What's a "Wixey"?

Glen Blanchard
01-16-2007, 10:35 PM
I'll bite. What's a "Wixey"?

A collection of digital read-outs.

http://www.wixey.com/

John Keane
01-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks Glen. Another thread mentioned it also, and so I searched the internet for it and found it on Woodcraft. I will most likely own one or more soon.