PDA

View Full Version : Clamping tapered boxes

Stan Armstrong
01-16-2007, 4:29 PM
Lots of people on the web will tell us how to calculate compound angles for tapered boxes, but how do we clamp and glue them. The only solution I can find is to use 5-minute epoxy to attach angled gluing blocks. Then you have to knock off the blocks and resurface the box. There’s got to be a better way. What method do you use for gluing and clamping them? I am interested in shallower boxes because I am constructing the bottoms to dust collection boxes for a router table and a contractor’s saw.
I have spent some hours trying to answer this question, both searching the popular woodworking forums and using Google.
Any help you can offer will be appreciated, including promising web links.

Dave Richards
01-16-2007, 4:44 PM
Why epoxy the blocks in place? Just put sandpaper on the bearing faces. Or take a lesson from wooden boat builders and use a clamp such as the McGuiggan clamp.
http://static.flickr.com/144/323082642_c01e92ee75_o.jpg
WoodenBoat Magazine has plans for this kind of clamp in #193.

Boat builders frequently have reason to clamp odd shaped peices and come up with all sorts of easy clamping methods. You might be able to use a spring pole clamp. If you use the epoxy for gluing up your odd shaped box (I wouldn't use the 5-minute stuff, though) you could use masking tape for clamping. Epoxy doesn't require that much clamping pressure anyway.

Maybe you could use CA glue and just hold the pieces in place for a few seconds before moving on.

Lee Schierer
01-16-2007, 4:54 PM
The method I use are to make wedges the same slope as the piece I am clamping so the clamp is on flat surfaces. I attach these wedges with double sided tape. When the clamping is done the blocks and tape residue are pretty easy tot remove.

Dan Forman
01-16-2007, 4:58 PM
The double sided tape is called carpet tape, can be found at the borgs, and is our friend.

Dan

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-16-2007, 5:05 PM
Most light clamping you can use double sided tape to adhere a clamp block - BORG - and even WALL-MART carries it

PVA glued blocks work well for heavier clamping. I place a piece of paper between the pieces of wood to act as the shear material so I don't pull off wood fibers.

And on sale at the BORG is this neat stuff called SHRINK WRAP. It is magical stuff.
I bought a whole case of the stuff a long time ago for another purpose. It is bar none one of the most weird shape friendly clamping materials I have used. Many layers can be laminated on for tighter and tigher pressure.

I like it way better than glue blocks.

Stan Armstrong
01-16-2007, 5:25 PM
OK guys. I give up. The only Borgs I can find are Borg-Warner and the Startrek Borgs. Let me in on the lingo. Where is this source to be found?

Dan Gill
01-16-2007, 5:52 PM
A Borg is a big box do-it-yourself store. Home Depot and Lowes are the ones around here. I think some consider Menard's to be a Borg, too.

It comes from Star Trek the Next Generation. The Borg ship was a huge cube, and their slogan was "Resistance is useless."

Doug Shepard
01-16-2007, 6:10 PM
This stuff works pretty good for clamping the not-so-square stuff
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31159&cat=1,43838,47843
but I've done the wedge thing too.

Tony Ward
01-17-2007, 1:10 AM
Depending upon the size of your work, use rubber bands.

I use them often for my uniquely shaped bandsawn boxes with out any problems.

Lee Schierer
01-17-2007, 7:15 PM
I've never tried this, but I hear it works well. Apply some hot melt glue to the wedges and "glue" them in place. The glue will stick well enough for clamping, but can be removed once the joint is dry. Supposedly it leaves no residue. Your mileage may vary.

Mike Cutler
01-17-2007, 8:34 PM
A Borg is a big box do-it-yourself store. Home Depot and Lowes are the ones around here. I think some consider Menard's to be a Borg, too.

It comes from Star Trek the Next Generation. The Borg ship was a huge cube, and their slogan was "Resistance is useless."

One more.
BORG. Big Orange Retail Giant. Home Depot:D,:rolleyes:

glenn bradley
01-17-2007, 8:51 PM
Resistance is futile.