PDA

View Full Version : I guess my Jet Air Filtration System was Del today

Glen Surwillo
01-16-2007, 3:10 PM
Well the wife was home during lunch and I guess my 4 new Bessey K-Body 50" clamps were delivered as well as my new Jet 708620B AFS-1000B 550/702/1044 CFM 3 Speed Air Filtration System with Remote and Electrostatic Pre-Filter.

As a newbie to woodworking I am slowly building up my arsenal of tools and clamps. I do not have a dust collector yet but since I have been working in a closed up garage this Chicago Winter I started to worry about my lungs. How fast do you think I will have to change filters on the Jet System above without utilizing a Dust collection system? Also, since I am not at home to see the system, whaty size hooks do you use to hold it to the ceiling?

Thanks,

Glen

Brad Townsend
01-16-2007, 5:38 PM
Although both a DC and an air filtration unit are used for dust, they serve different functions. The DC is necessary to get most of the dust at the source, and is probably more important than the filtration unit, which clears out airborn dust. To answer your first question, you will prbably notice little difference in how fast the filter loads up, but you need the DC NOW! The filtration unit alone is a good thing, but not enough.

And by the way, it's a good unit and use hooks that are plenty strong. There are also mounting brackets that come with it and can be used with lag screws if you have something solid in your ceiling to screw them into at the proper spacing.

Jake Helmboldt
01-16-2007, 5:48 PM
I don't have a dust collection system yet, but I did just build an air cleaner. I use a quality mask and try to keep positive ventilation going when the weather permits.

I want a cyclone but can't afford it yet and I feel I'm wasting money to spend half the price of a cyclone on a single-stage DC that doesn't simply recirculate the fine dust (i.e. one with a sub micron filter, 2hp, etc). The air cleaner certainly helps clear the air more quickly so I don't have to wear the mask the whole time. In the meantime I'll get by with that and the big shop vac (and the large dustpan).

JH

Bob Spare
01-16-2007, 5:49 PM
Hook up your air filtration in the center of your shop.
Mine is in the center overhead of my TS, trying to collect the dust ASAP