PDA

View Full Version : Pens for Hunters ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
11-21-2003, 10:35 AM
Since I made the deer antler slimline pen and pencil early in the week, I've had two more hunters bring me some racks to have pens made. I make them a pen free for the rack and keep the rest of the rack for my pens. They seem to like the arrangement. Any additional pens are at my regular charge. One bought the three you see here. He asked for two European style antler and one wood/antler mixed. I felt the oak wood was a good contrast, and it also is from the area, so the natural part of it ties in well. He says he has a lot of friends who have extra racks lying around and is going to start scrounging for me. The other pen is from a piece of cedar I found broken off of a wooden pallet some supplies came in on at work. Unfortunately I couldn't locate the rest of the pallet. I didn't realize they made pallets from cedar, but I guess they use anything people bring to the Mill. Thanks for looking, have fun and be safe.

Ken Wright
11-21-2003, 2:15 PM
don't those antlers smell great while you're turning them???

Since I made the deer antler slimline pen and pencil early in the week, I've had two more hunters bring me some racks to have pens made. I make them a pen free for the rack and keep the rest of the rack for my pens. They seem to like the arrangement. Any additional pens are at my regular charge. One bought the three you see here. He asked for two European style antler and one wood/antler mixed. I felt the oak wood was a good contrast, and it also is from the area, so the natural part of it ties in well. He says he has a lot of friends who have extra racks lying around and is going to start scrounging for me. The other pen is from a piece of cedar I found broken off of a wooden pallet some supplies came in on at work. Unfortunately I couldn't locate the rest of the pallet. I didn't realize they made pallets from cedar, but I guess they use anything people bring to the Mill. Thanks for looking, have fun and be safe.

Scott Greaves
11-21-2003, 3:22 PM
Ron,

Those are great pens! I just love the way antler looks on a pen. I especially like it when you can include a little bit of the "bark" like you did. Very nice!

(And yes, don't they smell great while turning?) :D

Scott.

Dale Thompson
11-22-2003, 11:46 PM
Ron,

You are lucky! Up here in Northern Wisconsin, asking a hunter for a "rack" is like asking to kill their kids. I get that vacant, "ARE YOU CRAZY?" look. I'm not a hunter but I have made quite a few sets of antler pens/pencils for relatives and friends who do the "macho" hunting thing. Most folks don't believe me when I say that they are deer antler. They really look like ceramic if you get the right blanks. Obviously, the blanks are the tough part considering the curved surfaces and the possibility, though remote, of a punky center.

Whatever, if the machining odor is disagreeable, try a trick which my doctor suggested (He is also a county coroner with the autopsy stuff and such). Sprinkle a few drops of aftershave on a plain paper dust mask and you should be fine.

By the way, if anyone has a reasonably priced source for deer/elk antlers, I'd sure like to know about it. They make incredible pens/pencils and don't necessarily require the killing of an animal. :(

Dale T.

Peter Stahl
11-23-2003, 10:56 AM
Dale,

Check this link out. http://www.jacksonholenet.com/stories/antlrauc.htm

Pete

Ron,

You are lucky! Up here in Northern Wisconsin, asking a hunter for a "rack" is like asking to kill their kids. I get that vacant, "ARE YOU CRAZY?" look. I'm not a hunter but I have made quite a few sets of antler pens/pencils for relatives and friends who do the "macho" hunting thing. Most folks don't believe me when I say that they are deer antler. They really look like ceramic if you get the right blanks. Obviously, the blanks are the tough part considering the curved surfaces and the possibility, though remote, of a punky center.

Whatever, if the machining odor is disagreeable, try a trick which my doctor suggested (He is also a county coroner with the autopsy stuff and such). Sprinkle a few drops of aftershave on a plain paper dust mask and you should be fine.

By the way, if anyone has a reasonably priced source for deer/elk antlers, I'd sure like to know about it. They make incredible pens/pencils and don't necessarily require the killing of an animal. :(

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
11-23-2003, 10:25 PM
Dale,

Check this link out. http://www.jacksonholenet.com/stories/antlrauc.htm

Pete

Thanks, Pete.

Dale T.