PDA

View Full Version : Plwood Storage Help

Mike Hill
01-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Since my garage is my workshop, I need to find a way to store Plywood 4X8 sheets on edge and have the cart mobile to move out of the way and to the feed end of the table saw. I did a search but could not find a picture of this type of rack, but remember a thread about 5 or 6 months ago where someone built something similar to my needs. Any ideas or leads on a design will be appreciated.

Since the ice is fairly heavy here, I can't get to the BORG for paint to finish my NYW Router table (as soon as it is painted and stained I Will post pictures). I do though have enough extra wood to build the rack and it would be a great project to keep me busy :)

Mike

Jamie Buxton
01-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Gee, it is true what they say about Texas -- 8x10 sheets!

Gary Breckenridge
01-16-2007, 1:09 PM
:p You are going to need a big cart. You will want large caster wheels at each end. The center of gravity of upright plywood is 2 feet off the floor plus the height of the wheel axle; this means that your outrigger wheels have to be at least one foot plus from the plywood. That means that the footprint for your cart will be at least 3 by 8 feet. Cart tipover with several sheets of plywood is a real safety problem. Borg carts are really heavy but they can tip if overloaded.:( It might be better to store it against the wall

Mike Hill
01-16-2007, 1:14 PM
Gee, it is true what they say about Texas -- 8x10 sheets!

Jamie: Guess I was thinking of a sheet of paper! 4X8 is what I meant to say. Thanks for correcting me.

Mike

Mike Hill
01-16-2007, 1:19 PM
Gary: I wish I could. I think it would be a good solution. I am going to check and see if I have the room behind the compressor. Dragging the sheets to the table saw or out in the drive to cut them down to workable size is a problem. Like everyone, I wish I had a large shop and about four times the room. Just waiting to hit the lottery :)
Mike

Randal Stevenson
01-16-2007, 2:24 PM
Since my garage is my workshop, I need to find a way to store Plywood 4X8 sheets on edge and have the cart mobile to move out of the way and to the feed end of the table saw. I did a search but could not find a picture of this type of rack, but remember a thread about 5 or 6 months ago where someone built something similar to my needs. Any ideas or leads on a design will be appreciated.

Since the ice is fairly heavy here, I can't get to the BORG for paint to finish my NYW Router table (as soon as it is painted and stained I Will post pictures). I do though have enough extra wood to build the rack and it would be a great project to keep me busy :)

Mike

Are you thinking of Workbench magazine? Issue #280 Dec. 2003 (had storage, panel cutting table, and moving cart).

Jack Diemer
01-16-2007, 3:09 PM
I built that storage cart and have been less than happy with it.

I like the concept of a plywood only system on a hinge and the bottom on wheels.

The problem with my Cart woodstorage is that it is too heavy and is nearly impossible to move, and when I do want to move it, it wants to fall apart. A plywood only system would be lighter and would likely roll better.

Dick Heifner
01-16-2007, 3:43 PM
Hi Mike,
Check this out. I'm about to start building mine like this, I't perfect for me. Dick
http://home.pacbell.net/paulcomi//Spectaculartrim/Woodworking/My_rolling_lumber_rack_article.htm

Mike Hill
01-16-2007, 3:59 PM
Dick: Yep I like this one also. It could be constructed a bit thinner with less small stuff storage. I have some wall shelves for that. Thanks for passing it along.
Mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-16-2007, 5:09 PM
I built an A frame cart using 2*4s ripped in half and 3/4" ply.
It's on casters for mobility. Just make it about 4" high and 7' or 8' long and make it sturdy. You can add interior shelves later.

Mike Hill
01-16-2007, 5:20 PM
Cliff: Do you have a picture or drawing of the cart? Sounds interesting.
Mike

Bryan Nuss
01-16-2007, 6:09 PM
Mike,

You might want a look at this old thread ... see my note on page 2.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7218

Regards,

Corey Hallagan
01-16-2007, 7:30 PM
If you got the room Mike, Norm make a real nice stock cart to hold cut offs, sheet goods etc. Check it out.

Corey

Bill Neely
01-17-2007, 1:56 AM
I built a cart like Dick's and I love it. It has 6" poly casters on it and a crude torsion box on the bottom to add rigidity. It's heavy but not really too hard to move with the big casters. BTW I store my GSS rails in one of the tunnels.

Bob Taylor
01-17-2007, 6:04 PM
Norm also built a roll-around cart with a triangle shape. Sheet goods on both sides with cut-off storage between the sides. I have the reference someplace if anyone is interested.

Bryan Nuss
01-17-2007, 6:19 PM
Mike,

I found the plans for the cart still on the web at:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/494.xml

If I remember, the dimension on the drawing for the plywood base is not quite right ... measure the width before cutting it out. Also, I added another rail "G" on the back side about 14" down from the middle one to support cut-offs stored in the backside.

I have found this cart to be an excellent addition to my shop. It can carry an enormous weight, so don't stint on the casters ... use at least 3" diameter.

Jeff Wright
01-17-2007, 6:24 PM
If you got the room Mike, Norm make a real nice stock cart to hold cut offs, sheet goods etc. Check it out.

Corey

Corey, Do you have the source for Norm's plywood cart? I don't see it on the New Yankee Workshop website. Thanks.

chris fox
01-17-2007, 6:25 PM
A good alternative is a lumber cart from the Borg. A friend of mine simply asked an employee one night if he could pay for one of the stores cart, he said go ahead and take it, he even helped picking it up to put in the back of his truck.
I agree they are ok for medium loads and could tip for heavy loads.

Craig Coney
01-21-2007, 2:40 PM
I bought the Troll drywall cart from Amazon & put a platform on the bottom to expand how much material it can hold. Its heavy duty, rolls easily, you can pull out what sheet of stock you need.

Corey Hallagan
01-21-2007, 2:54 PM
No I don't Jeff, sorry. I saw him make it on one of his shop helper shows if I remember right. I also saw a neat one for cut offs and sheet good storage from Bench Notes a year or 2 ago. Check their website, they may have it on there.

Corey

glenn bradley
01-21-2007, 4:41 PM
Seems most folks here who have given examples of mobile storage racks keep their plywood on the sides. I agree. A cart big enough to be stable with half a dozen 8 ft vertical panels in it would probably take up as much room as a horizontal approach. Just thinkin' safety.