PDA

View Full Version : G0490 Jointer Question

David Clawson
01-16-2007, 11:13 AM
I recently purchased a Grizzly G0490 jointer. It has started making a large "clank" on startup. Anyone had this issue? Any clue as to what might be causing this noise?

Thanks,

David

Shiraz Balolia
01-16-2007, 11:30 AM
I recently purchased a Grizzly G0490 jointer. It has started making a large "clank" on startup. Anyone had this issue? Any clue as to what might be causing this noise?

Thanks,

David

Hi David,
Check the set screw on the motor pulley to make sure that the pulley is not loose on the motor shaft.

Mike Leone
01-16-2007, 11:50 AM
check the key in the pully if its not square it may be inserted with the thin side in the key, this happened on my 0555 bs the key will fit in both ways turn the key sideways,

Lars Thomas
01-16-2007, 1:12 PM
The belt is slapping against the belt guard. Add more tension to the belt (i.e. move the motor down) and the problem will go away.

Martin Gerber
01-16-2007, 1:17 PM
I recently purchased the same jointer and had this same issue. I found that it was the belt guard. I adust the belt guard which reduced most of the "clang". I think put some cushoned tape along the edge which eliminated the noise.

Jeffrey Schronce
01-16-2007, 1:23 PM
The belt is slapping against the belt guard. Add more tension to the belt (i.e. move the motor down) and the problem will go away.

That was my problem as well. Now if I can figure out the reason for the shudder/vibration on the shut down that has been discussed quite a bit but apparently never resolved.

brian lanning
01-16-2007, 1:33 PM
That was my problem as well. Now if I can figure out the reason for the shudder/vibration on the shut down that has been discussed quite a bit but apparently never resolved.

Mine has this. (but not the startup clank). I bet it's the belt/pullies/motor/cutter passing through the resonant frequency of the cabinet. I bet a link belt would make it go away.

brian

Eddie Howard
01-16-2007, 3:32 PM
David,

I converted to 220 and I guess the greater torque caused the blade guard to strike the fence. Bothered me at first until I fiqured it out now don't even notice it.

Eddie

Jeff Watson
01-16-2007, 4:02 PM
I had the same problem as well, even with a link belt. I Tightened the belt and the noise went away for awhile and then came back. I think the opening were the belt goes into the lower cabinet may be a shade to small.

Russ Massery
01-16-2007, 6:35 PM
I changed mine to a link belt. The problem when away, never any other issues with it. And mine is almost a year old now.

Phil Harding
01-16-2007, 9:46 PM
I had exactly the same problem. It turned out that the setscrews on the pulley and the key fixing the pulley to the shaft were all loose. Check these first.

-- Phil

Chris Robertson
01-17-2007, 8:18 AM
I've had my jointer for two weeks now. My link belt was hitting the blade guard, so I just bent the guard about 1/4 inch back in a vise. I've tightened the link belt three times and now the noise is 99% gone. I can sometimes hear a slight "rub" of the belt against the lower cabinet at shutdown. As stated earlier in this thread, the opening in the lower cabinet seems to be a little small.

Chris