PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #1

Larry Rose
01-16-2007, 11:05 AM
I have a Stanley #1 that has either a improper iron or lever cap. The lever cap has no logo and the iron is sweetheart era. I've checked Blood and Gore without any help. Any one got any ideas?

David Turner
01-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Larry: I am not sure why you think one of the items is incorrect? As far as I know, none of the #1 Stanley planes had "Stanley" on the lever cap. Also, Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools- A Guide To Identity and Value- by John Walter, indicates that the #1 plane was made through 1943. The sweetheart blades were available from 1921 (type 13), 1922 (type 14), and 1923-35 (type 15). Each Logo was a little different as to the location of the heart in relationship to the word Stanley. Your plane exhibits details that are both possible combinations for a #1 IMHO.
Hope this helps.
David Turner

Clint Jones
01-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Its not for sale is it???JK No the lever cap is most likely correct for the plane as it is pretty hard to find one to switch it out because even when No.1's were $2.50 new there werent that many people buying them up. Staney started the SW logo in 1919 to commemorate Stanley Chariman William H Harts retirement in 1918. From 1919 to 1921 all SW planes still had the flat cap which did not say Stanley. You can tell if this is the correct cutter because from 1919-1921 it will read "Stanley SW New Britain Conn. USA" and if it is from 1920-1921 the word Stanley will be bunched up closer to the heart and SW making the ANL in the word STANLEY have kind of an arch. Also I have seen some planes with the flat cap and still have the newer SW logo on them because type studies always arent correct because stanley used up old stock rather than destroying it. Sorry for the history lesson but this should answer your question. The only catch is you have to send me the plane!!!JK. Here is a link with all of the Stanley logos yours should be from 1919 to 1921. http://www.antique-used-tools.com/stantms.htm

Clint Jones
01-16-2007, 11:45 AM
55241Also not mentioned in type studies is that some of the smooth lever caps have the SW logo stamped on the back of them. I have a couple here is one can you see it??

Larry Rose
01-16-2007, 1:03 PM
Clint and David, thanks for the information. My iron appears to be circa 1922-1935 and the lever cap does not have the SW logo on it. Am I to assume that the iron is a replacement? Also, it's not for sale yet. I just got my grubby little hands on it. Its easy to see why they are so popular. Pleasing to the eyes and hands.

Rob Brophy
01-16-2007, 8:17 PM
As far as I know, none of the #1 Stanley planes had "Stanley" on the lever cap.

Hi David,

I have a Sweetheart era #1 with a notched Stanley logo on the lever cap, so they made at least one. Just a data point.

Rob...who found it at a yard sale -dirt- cheap.

Clint Jones
01-16-2007, 9:41 PM
Larry: I am not sure why you think one of the items is incorrect? As far as I know, none of the #1 Stanley planes had "Stanley" on the lever cap. Here is my SW No.1 and I do believe I see the word Stanley. http://www.freewebs.com/stanley_planes/No.1.JPG

David Turner
01-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys. I stand corrected.
David Turner