PDA

View Full Version : Grip-Tite Question

Aaron Beaver
01-16-2007, 10:44 AM
I wrote to the email on their site but haven't got a response (over a week ago) so I thought I would try here.

I bought one grip-tite to try out and have a question. After I set it up on my table saw and I start pushing the board through the back of the grip-tite will start swinging around until the butt of it (yellow base) hits the wood and stops it.

Is it supposed to do that? or am I doing something wrong or is something wrong with the grip-tite I got? Just wondering to see if it me or what, but I figured it would stay in one place.

Thanks

Jim Becker
01-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Is the release lever completely vertical so that the magnets are flat on the saw surface?

Rob Bodenschatz
01-16-2007, 10:51 AM
I use those things all the time & they don't move. Check Jim's advice. If that's not it, send 'em back.

Aaron Beaver
01-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Is the release lever completely vertical so that the magnets are flat on the saw surface?

I will double check tonight but I am positive that it is, maybe the lever is lower than the bottom of the base keeping it up off the table just a tad. I will look and see. Thanks

Lee Schierer
01-16-2007, 12:19 PM
You may be trying to set them too close to the fence. You only need light pressure to keep wood tight to the fence. I usually put my board against the fence and then set the grip tite in place against the edge with sort of a rotating motion that first touches the plastic feather against the wood and then the base to the table. This motion will set the griptite properly and it should not move.

On the old wood models, the instructions said to place a piece of sandpaper under the base grit side up on your cast iron table and sand the bottom of the grip tite to improve the grip. I don't know if this is recommended or not for the plastic versions.

If all else fails, their toll free number is on the handle, give them a call. I have and they were really friendly and helpful.

Aaron Beaver
01-16-2007, 1:59 PM
You may be trying to set them too close to the fence. You only need light pressure to keep wood tight to the fence. I usually put my board against the fence and then set the grip tite in place against the edge with sort of a rotating motion that first touches the plastic feather against the wood and then the base to the table. This motion will set the griptite properly and it should not move.

On the old wood models, the instructions said to place a piece of sandpaper under the base grit side up on your cast iron table and sand the bottom of the grip tite to improve the grip. I don't know if this is recommended or not for the plastic versions.

If all else fails, their toll free number is on the handle, give them a call. I have and they were really friendly and helpful.

After I check the leg is vertical allowing the base to sit flush I will try and put it on again with less pressure. I know I touch the fin to the wood but when I pull back to sit it down I may be moving it closer pushing the wood harder against the fence. I will try to make sure its light and still see if it moves.

Henry Cavanaugh
01-16-2007, 8:33 PM
I just purchased a grip tite set up at a Woodworks trade show which is proably why you didnt get an answer back yet from them.