PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend source for Slate?

Luke Phillips
01-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi folks - I'm looking for a source of slate that is precut to standard sizes - 5x7 preferably, 1/4" thick, in green or grey - any recommendations?
Thanks!

Keith Outten
01-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Luke,

I can't help with real slate but I can recommend the new plastic slate roof shingles as a source of engraving material. Looks just like the real thing and machines/engraves well. The good news is that if you can find a commercial building under construction you can acquire truckloads of the stuff for free.

When we were working on the roof for the new Student Union at CNU we must have had several dumpster loads of scap pieces. Most would have been large enough to make 5 by 7" or 8 by 10" plaques. At the time I was too busy but I could kick myself for not getting at least a small truckload for my inventory :)

Lorene Fangman
01-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Luke,
You might try your flooring businesses like a local carpet and floor sales, and ask about their suppliers or if they will be your supplier. Most suppliers for those stores you have to be a contractor to get a lower cost but you can fill out the paper work if you request it. At least that is how it works here in Nebraska. Hopefully this helps you :)...Lorene

Bonnie Campbell
01-16-2007, 12:18 PM
You might try Penn Big Bed Slate Company. I order the grey turkey call slate from them. I've heard they'll cut to size. As far as I know they've no minimum purchase.