PDA

View Full Version : Planer Parts Help Please

Paul Greathouse
01-15-2007, 10:14 PM
I think the feed rollers on my 11 year old Delta 22-540 are worn out. I know that feed problems are usually associated with dull blades or feed rollers. So, I just installed new blades because I had a pair laying around. I have installed blades several times so, improper installation is not an issue.

After installing the new blades, I ran a 6" piece of red oak through it. When sending the board through all the way to one side of the bed it barely feed through. I sent it through on the opposite side next and it would not feed at all. Next, I sent it through in the middle of the bed and it feed somewhat normal but not as it should.

I noticed that the feed rollers are spring loaded at each end. Could the springs be getting weak? This planer has seen alot of board feet in its life.

Also, the outfeed roller has numerous scars from when I loaned it to a friend about 5 or 6 years ago. He ran a bunch of no telling what through it. I made him buy me a new set of carbide blade for it to replace the set he ruined on one side.

The planer has also had alot of pine run through it. The outfeed roller has a coating of pine resin on top of the scars mentioned above but the infeed roller seems to be clean.

The only parts website I could get a hit on with Google or Ask was Toolpartsdirect.com. They have the rollers but they want $66.93 a piece for them, OUCH. For $133.86 plus shipping I can probably find a lightly used replacement.

Does anyone know of another parts website or have a set of rollers or a dead planer they want to sell cheap? Any other suggestions for troubleshooting?

Rick Lizek
01-16-2007, 8:07 AM
You can buy parts direct from Delta. You have to consider that buying parts isn't proportionally priced. Putting a machine together from parts would cost at least 5 times the cost of a new machine.Clean the rollers and wax the bed is the simple first thing to do. I used to work for an independent dealer as a service tech for Delta, Minimax, etc and went to a lot of schools and shops. I'd say half the time I would just wax the bed to fix most planer feed problems. It's really impossible to diagnose your problem any better with your limited description of the situation.

Pete Bradley
01-16-2007, 8:07 AM
I'd start by cleaning the rollers with some mineral spirit or naptha. Remember the vapors are highly flammable.

You can try Ace Tool Repair for parts. I've bought from them with no problems.

Pete

Paul Greathouse
01-16-2007, 8:49 PM
Thanks Rick & Pete

I cleaned the rollers with some paint thinner/mineral spirits and the planer is working as it should. I couldn't believe how much difference that thin coat of pine resin made. With the addition of the new blades, it's leaving a smooooth finish and its feeding the lumber great.

It's amazing how tight this machine is after 11 years of use. While I had it apart I was able to get at the blade roller to check the bearings for slack, there was no slack that I could detect. Not bad, considering the fact that its stamped "Made in Taiwan". I was thinking about replacing this planer with the Dewalt 735 but I don't think that will be necessary now. Don't get me wrong, I've seen the Dewalt, it has some great bells and whistles but I think I'll stick with what I've got for now.