PDA

View Full Version : Wood Paneling and Painting

Scott Neblung
11-21-2003, 9:13 AM
Any painting experts in the shop?

I need some painting expertise.
What is the best paint/cover to first apply to wood paneling as a primer or does it even matter?

I have 3 sides of a bedroom being converted into a office and need make a decision and purchase before sat am. If time would allow, the best route would be to strip the walls of this ugly paneling and the lath and plaster below it and drywall it. I simply dont have the time to do it right now.

Any advice?

TIA>>>>Scott

Roger Fitzsimonds
11-21-2003, 1:20 PM
When I did painted my paneling, I used kilz as a primer. then used latex interior over that. It has worked out quite well. I am not an expert but hope this helps.

Roger

Hal Peeler
11-21-2003, 2:41 PM
Scott, we just did this in our living room. I assume you're talking about the paneling sheets instead of solid wood paneling. We used oil based Kilz primer (oil recommended by a painter friend) and then regular interior latex paint. Worked fine but the oil based primer was kind of a mess. Not to bad overall though.
Hal

Scott Neblung
11-21-2003, 7:22 PM
I ended up going to the Multi colored borg (Menardos) and asked the paint *experts* and was told to just roughen up the face with sandpaper and shoot it w/ interior Dutch Boy.

Since its coming down in 3-5 yrs I care, but not really, how it looks.

Appreciate the replies !

Scott....a painting fool for most of tommorow....does that count as shop time ?

Phil Phelps
11-28-2003, 6:32 PM
.....I've painted quite a bit in the last forty years. Here is what I do. First, I use a real paint store for my products. Next, I'd wash the paneling and all surfaces with cleaner/deglosser. There are some good ones on the market. I would then caulk all joints with a good latex caulk, spackle all holes. Use a caluk with silicone in it. Drys fast and paintable in thirty minutes. Everywhere wood meets wood, you caulk. Use your finger to spread the caulk, and keep a wet cloth handy to clean your finger. Your undercoat, or primer, should be an oil base product. Benjamin Moore has a product called Fresh Start, that is a great primer. Stay away from Kilz. It drys too fast. Brush strokes don't level out nearly as well as a primer will. I'd use a short nap (enamel) roller cover for the application of the paint, followed with a china bristle brush to eliminate the roller cover stipple. Even an enamel cover will leave a "model" effect. Now here is your choice. Oil enamel is the most durable interior paint for woodwork. The only drawback is in the whites. They will yellow over time. I have a paneled den I painted nine years ago, and you can see a slightly different shade where a picture has been. Don't re-arrange and you'll be fine :D If you choose to go with a latex enamel, buy the best on the market. They have come a long way, but you it will not lay out as smoothly as an alkyd product. You'll need a nylon bristle brush for the latex enamel. You can still use the enamel roller cover to apply the latex. I would also recommend you add Floetrol to the enamel. It helps the paint level out much better. Either way, don't paint like your painting a wall. You are appling the paint, then brushing out the strokes so it lays flat. I wouldn't work over a 24" swath at a time. One prime coat, two finish coats. Keep your brush "loaded" when you brush out the stokes. It's a long process, but really worth the time and effort. You won't beleive how great wood looks painted. At the real paint store, they have real answers. Good luck, hope this helps. PS. I'd still go with alkyd enamel. It just looks and wears better.