PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Stabilizer Question

Michael O'Sullivan
01-15-2007, 10:13 PM
The fine folks at Freud threw in a free blade stabilizer (left and right) with my purchase of a couple of TS blades. However, there were no instructions.

On my Bosch 4000, I found that if I only use the right stabilizer and then leave off the washer, the alignment remains ok and I have enough space to reattach the nut comfortably.

Is this right, or do I need to attach both stabilizers and realign the splitter?

jonathan snyder
01-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Michael,

I'm not sure that I can answer you question, but Charles McCracken can. He is Freud employee and is very helpful. He has helped many cCeekers with all kind of issues and questions. If he sees this thread he will reply, otherwise send him a PM.

I think you only use one stabilizer on the outside of the blade.

I also have the Bosch 400 and use Freud blades, but Charles told me a stabilizer was not necessary with the blades I am using.

Jonathan

Hoa Dinh
01-16-2007, 12:48 AM
It's difficult to say definitely that you should use one or two pieces.

If the statbilizer comes as one piece, use it instead of or in addition to the outside arbor washer.

If the set comes as two pieces, in general, you should use both of them, one on each side of the blade, paying attention to instructions as what face should be out. The reason is that each piece of the set may be cupped by design. If that is the case, using only one piece can ruin the blade.

glenn bradley
01-16-2007, 12:55 AM
I use both with TK blades on the TS and adjust my ZCI's and splitter. Not saying this is right or wrong, it's just what I do. Some folks post that stabilizers are not necessary at all but I notice my ZCI slots stay usable longer with them.

Aaron Beaver
01-16-2007, 7:03 AM
Got some myself but haven't used them. If I used them I would need to make a new zero clearance insert with new splitter location, that is if I am supposed to use one on each side, like you stated earlier. Be interested in what others have done. To be honest you would think there would be some instructions or pictures but maybe they just assume everyone knows how to use them.

Lee Schierer
01-16-2007, 9:54 AM
I have two sets of stablizers (I never use either one). One set is precision ground and balanced. This set has a concave face that is supposed to go toward the blade. The other set is die cast material and not nearly as precision. The faces are flat that go toward the blade.

Check your stablizers. If they have an concave surface then both should be used together. If they are flat across the face then you could get away with using one. I'm not sure what benefit there would be from using one as opposed to the added stability and mass (inertia) of having two in place.

Jim Becker
01-16-2007, 9:58 AM
What Hoa said...'depends on the design of the stablizers, but if they are sold as a set and labeled "left" and "right", that likely means they were designed to be used as a pair.

Don Wurscher
01-16-2007, 10:08 AM
I have been using stab's for years now, one on each side of the blade.

Normaly you might need these if you are running a thin kerf blade, but I have been using them on my regular 1/8" blade because it is a great place to store them:) . I have a older Craftsman saw, and for some reason they undercut the arbor shaft just off the blade hub. When you use a dado set this causes the second chipper of the dado set to be out of round with the rest. By using both stab's next to the hub, I can set the dado out far enough to get a clean bottom.

The downside is that if you use these, you must use them all the time if you want your zero temp's to work.

Charles McCracken
01-16-2007, 1:36 PM
Michael,

The Stabilizers are to be used only in pairs. If used singly they can cup the blade.

Michael O'Sullivan
01-16-2007, 6:14 PM
Charles-

Thanks. One other thing -- I assume that the wider area should be against the blede. Correct?

Charles McCracken
01-17-2007, 7:59 AM
Michael,

That sounds like a correct description. The larger diameter sides face the blade and the bevels are away from the blade. The stabilizers are essentially large blade fixing washers to augment the ones that came on the saw.