PDA

View Full Version : Leather Chisel Roll

Lloyd Parker
01-15-2007, 8:25 PM
My wife has offered to make me a leather chisel roll for my chisels. Does anyone know where there might be a plan for that? In addition anyone know what type of leather should be used? I looked on the Tandy leather website and they have a very large selection it is hard to tell what would be good.

Thanks,

Eric Sabo
01-15-2007, 8:39 PM
I dont have a plan, per say, but I can take detailed photos of my LN leather chisel roll if it will help.

-Eric

Pam Niedermayer
01-15-2007, 8:45 PM
Be careful about the leather. If not treated properly for tool storage (I'd tell you what this is, but don't know), it will collect moisture like a sponge, rust all your chisels without a moment's notice.

Pam

John Miliunas
01-15-2007, 8:57 PM
Lloyd, the LOML blessed me with a substantial Gift Card for Christmas this year and I dutifully spent it on something I had my eye on since we got it in the store: The 5-piece set of LN, long-handled chisels in Cocobolo. (Stealth gloat. :D ) As it happens, neither the 5 or 9 piece set is even offered with a roll. In checking, the roll they have for their bench chisels isn't large enough (too short) for the long-handled chisels. So, I came up with my own solution, as pictured below. I have them in a drawer on my big assembly table and immediately behind my "Neander bench", so they're right handy. You may note there are slots for nine chisels! :D Anyhow, if you keep your chisels expressly in your shop, this may be a decent alternative for you. :) :cool:

Mike Henderson
01-15-2007, 9:18 PM
I really like the LV tool roll (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=30007&cat=1,41504). You insert the chisels (or carving tools) with the handle into the pockets and the blades towards the center. They roll up well and the flap at the end prevents the end tools from sticking out. Very well designed.

If you want to make one yourself, or even make it out of leather, go ahead and buy one from LV and use that as a guide for making your own. I've made several out of duck cloth that I use for carving tools and for regular bench chisels.

Mike

Bob Smalser
01-16-2007, 9:19 AM
Use canvas.

Most leather you buy today is chrome tanned and chock full of salts that'll cause damage when the roll gets damp. Canvas or duck will dry out quickly.

If you want to reinforce it with leather, buy vegetable tanned leather. It may not have salts, but it's still acidic and hygroscopic, so don't use much of it. Ebay has it.

Paul Erickson
01-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Lloyd, the LOML blessed me with a substantial Gift Card for Christmas this year and I dutifully spent it on something I had my eye on since we got it in the store: The 5-piece set of LN, long-handled chisels in Cocobolo. (Stealth gloat. :D ) As it happens, neither the 5 or 9 piece set is even offered with a roll. In checking, the roll they have for their bench chisels isn't large enough (too short) for the long-handled chisels. So, I came up with my own solution, as pictured below. I have them in a drawer on my big assembly table and immediately behind my "Neander bench", so they're right handy. You may note there are slots for nine chisels! :D Anyhow, if you keep your chisels expressly in your shop, this may be a decent alternative for you. :) :cool:
Hi John, what material are you using on the bottom of the drawer?

cheers, Paul

John Miliunas
01-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi John, what material are you using on the bottom of the drawer?

cheers, Paul

Hi Paul, it's just some of that fake suede looking stuff. I'm not overly concerned with moisture/humidy in the shop, as I have temp/humidity control both, winter and summer. I'm also a big user of Renaissance Wax, just for safety sake. It goes on all my milled cast iron surfaces, hand planes and yes, chisels. Heck, I've even been known to use it on finished WW projects! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Wayne Cannon
01-23-2008, 1:06 PM
Duluth Trading made a great chisel roll of nylon duck with leather-lined pockets. I've been trying to find another, as they seem to have discontinued it. The $60-$70 for a leather roll is more than I think they are worth, but Lee Valley has a couple of nice leather chisel rolls priced around $20. Otherwise, I'll stick with canvas or nylon duck.

Lee Hingle
01-23-2008, 2:04 PM
Bob,
Quite an informative post. What is your opinion on the LN tool rool? Asking because I keep my chisels in there full time - I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't be?
Thanks,
Lee

Use canvas.

Most leather you buy today is chrome tanned and chock full of salts that'll cause damage when the roll gets damp. Canvas or duck will dry out quickly.

If you want to reinforce it with leather, buy vegetable tanned leather. It may not have salts, but it's still acidic and hygroscopic, so don't use much of it. Ebay has it.

Scott Pearson
01-23-2008, 3:20 PM
Be careful about the leather. If not treated properly for tool storage (I'd tell you what this is, but don't know), it will collect moisture like a sponge, rust all your chisels without a moment's notice.

Pam

Does anyone know what it is that you treat the leather with? I have an existing leather roll that I keep some of my chisels in but I have never treated it with anything.

Scott

Steven Wilson
01-23-2008, 5:06 PM
I use Camellia Oil in my tool rolls (leather and canvas) and on my hand tools. A spritz or two a year in the roll seems to be the trick.

Bob Smalser
01-23-2008, 6:28 PM
Bob,
Quite an informative post. What is your opinion on the LN tool rool? Asking because I keep my chisels in there full time - I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't be?

I avoid tools in anything that could absorb moisture. When I was working out of tool boxes exclusively and couldn't avoid it, I made tool rolls out of canvas. No chromium salts and it dries faster than leather.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/4921404/267739646.jpg

Unless your tools are house plants that never leave you heated shop, I'd avoid leather entirely.

lowell holmes
01-24-2008, 5:36 PM
Johnson wax is preferred in my shop to camilla oil. :-)

Ron Schmitt
01-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Having been a leathercrafter for more than 25 years,
DO NOT STORE YOUR TOOLS IN A LEATHER ROLL!!
As said before, chrome tanned has a lot of caustic chemicals, veg tanned is better, but still acts as a wick for any moisture in the air. When I made holsters for a customer, they were told to NEVER store the weapon in the holster. And always wipe it down with a gun oil rag after removing it.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike Cutler
01-30-2008, 9:11 AM
Hey folks

Having the 9 piece LN chisel set and leather chisel roll. This thread prompted to me to contact Lie-Nielsen about the possible negative effects of storing LN chisels in their chisel roll. Too much $$$ involved.
The following is the response I recieved, via eMail, from Lie-Nielsen concerning their chisel rolls.

"Hello Michael,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our leather tool pouches. Our
leather products are vegetable tanned and so do not have a problem with
tools rusting in the pouch. It is preferable to keep your chisels well
oiled with a vegetable based oil such as camellia oil. Over time, this
will provide a nice oiled finish inside the leather.

Best regards,

Mike L

Alice Frampton
01-31-2008, 5:00 AM
Hmm, LN sound very convinced, but all I can say is my LNs started to rust in the leather chisel roll. But then they seem to find Camelia Oil effective, and I've found that unsatisfactory as well - there was some on the chisels in the roll! Exactly what workshop conditions have they tested these non-rusting products in, one wonders?

I'm firmly with Bob's suggestion - not had any trouble at all with the cheap canvas rolls I use.

Cheers, Alf

Mike Cutler
01-31-2008, 5:25 AM
Alf

Not sure where they tested them, or if they were tested at all.
We started to discuss various leather threatments, which I know zero about in all honesty. I only posted their reply so that folks with their products would have a statement of clarification from LN concerning their leather tool roll/pouch products. Sort of a "public service message".

I think each person has too arrive at their own solution based on the enviorment of their shop. I don't store my handtools in the shop long term. I bring them back into the house when I'm not using them. My shop is in a bay of my garage, and isn't climate controlled. Everything will rust if left unprotected.:eek:

Marcus Ward
01-31-2008, 6:45 AM
Don't trust camelia oil any further than you can throw the bottle. It's supposed to be the traditional protection for a japanese sword so I started using it on my Iaido sword and ended up scrubbing rust off of it a very short time thereafter. Now I use gun oil. Not traditional, but I'm not scrubbing rust off either. :\

Tim Sgrazzutti
01-31-2008, 8:03 AM
I didn't get the leather roll with my LN chisels. Wished I did, but I just couldn't gut the extra $50 on top of the price of the chisels. I did end up getting a leather roll from LV, and I've been happy with it so far. No signs of rust after 6 months of use, but now I'm curious about whether it's vegetable tanned or not.

I have also been tempted to get one of the canvas rolls from TFWW the next time I order something from Joel.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=MS-CHISELROLL&Category_Code=TSJ

Looks pretty nice, and holds chisels up to 2".......which is good because the LN 1" is about the limit of what will comfortably fit in the LV one. I have 750's in the sizes larger than 1", and that may just be the ticket to combine all the bench chisels in one roll.

Mike Henderson
01-31-2008, 8:31 AM
I didn't get the leather roll with my LN chisels. Wished I did, but I just couldn't gut the extra $50 on top of the price of the chisels. I did end up getting a leather roll from LV, and I've been happy with it so far. No signs of rust after 6 months of use, but now I'm curious about whether it's vegetable tanned or not.

I have also been tempted to get one of the canvas rolls from TFWW the next time I order something from Joel.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=MS-CHISELROLL&Category_Code=TSJ

Looks pretty nice, and holds chisels up to 2".......which is good because the LN 1" is about the limit of what will comfortably fit in the LV one. I have 750's in the sizes larger than 1", and that may just be the ticket to combine all the bench chisels in one roll.
Just a comment about that tool roll from TFWW. I bought one and found that it has a design defect. That roll has two flaps on the sides, but none on the end.

When you put tools into a roll for transport, you tie the roll in the middle of the roll. This is what keeps your tools in the roll, not the side flaps.

But without an end flap, the last tool in the roll often sticks out of the roll - it moves in its pocket and the cutting edge sticks past the end of the roll. Then when you grab the roll, you cut yourself.

I much prefer a tool roll with an end flap, such as this one (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=30007&cat=1,41504,41613) from LV.

Mike

Tony Wilkins
10-17-2013, 1:44 AM
Resurrecting this thread to see how folks are getting along with the LN leather chisel rolls? Interested because I got the roll with my set of LN chisels :confused:

Hilton Ralphs
10-17-2013, 4:22 AM
Buyer's remorse Tony?

Tony Wilkins
10-17-2013, 9:41 AM
Buyer's remorse Tony?

Nope. Just saw this thread about the rolls while I was searching for something else and wanted to follow up on the roll

Adam Petersen
10-17-2013, 4:42 PM
I have been using this leather roll for about a year now. I found at an antique store for $10. I had it rolled up for awhile but then decided I'd hang it on the wall for easier access. Obviously my chisels are not your high end ones, but they are sharp and work well. Anyways, there is no rust on the chisels. Not the new Narex nor the old Greenlee's. I have no idea how old the chisel roll is, it could be 70's for all I know, but I never knew about the issues people were having. I, luckily, haven't experienced them. I wipe my tools down with 3 n 1 oil after sharpening and drying them, don't know if that has prevented corrosion or not. Thought I'd add my too sense anyways.

Adam273164

Michael Hammers
10-18-2013, 10:38 AM
I use Camellia Oil in my tool rolls (leather and canvas) and on my hand tools. A spritz or two a year in the roll seems to be the trick.

My Barr's are in the leather roll they came with and have been for years...I do the above also and haven’t had any issues with rust. In addition to the Camellia oil I also use discarded silica gel packs (I even take Altoid cans and poke nail holes in the top and place them in with many of my tools) to help reduce moisture. After many years in a dank wet basement I still have relatively little issues with rust anymore...except when I pull a tool out and notice my big 'ol finger print in rust staring at me. However I have only myself to blame for not being diligent in wiping my tools down with oil before putting them away.

M

peter gagliardi
10-19-2013, 8:52 PM
I have my set of pfiel chisels in a leather roll, and have for about 15 years- no issues. I also have two sets of Barr chisels in their leather rolls- no issues there either! I will take leather over cloth any day of the week. More durable, and I think LESS susceptible to absorbing moisture on humid days. I do have a full time above ground shop versus most guys with basement or garage shops, which definitely helps. Also, having the chisel rolls lightly impregnated with a light oil will help as well.
The Barr rolls are very well designed, so if you can get a look it may give you an idea.

Adam Cruea
10-19-2013, 9:33 PM
I keep my Stanleys in the leather roll they came in.

I haven't seen any rust yet *knocks on bench*, but then again, my area is fairly well climate and humidity controlled to stay fairly even.

Joe Williams
04-28-2017, 4:02 PM
I've had my Lie Nielsen bench and Mortise chisels in their leather roll off and on for two years without any bad effects. Not sure how long it would take, I am in New Jersey where there is a ton of Humidity. Still, many of the chisels in that roll have not yet been used one time so they may have some coatings on them. I was fairly new when I bought them and thought having them all was a good idea. I have subsequently bought different rolls and chisels. I dropped my Blue Spruce Dovetail paring chisels in the tool roll they make and I like it so much better. It just fits better and stores better and I just like it a ton better. I recently ordered one from Texas Heritage but it hasn't arrived yet. I have heard those are insane and the best pretty much from various people so that may be it. Still I am going to sell my LN leather rolls, I like the Blue Spruce and who knows the Texas Heritage may end up being the one I settle on.

Frank Drew
04-29-2017, 7:07 PM
I've got three tool rolls for chisels, two leather and one canvas. No problems with any of them. I did get some rust on the shanks of some chisels that I kept in a wood slotted rack in my shop -- the rust spots were where the steel touched the unfinished wood which obviously had absorbed moisture.

lowell holmes
04-29-2017, 7:41 PM
I've kept my chisels in a leather roll for 10-12 years. My shop is dry. I've had no rust on the chisels.