PDA

View Full Version : It finally came!

John Miliunas
11-20-2003, 10:14 PM
The Brown truck finally brought my long-awaited Woodsucker late this afternoon! Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend, though I sure hope the rest of my fittings from Kencraft get here before then!

First impression is kind of mixed. I'm really more of a "visual" guy when it comes to assembling just about anything. I also like pretty explicit instructions. Sadly, the Woodsucker is lacking in both areas. Where it does show sketches, they're typically not on the same page as the instructions. (You know what I mean: "Use 4 3/8 lag bolts to....As seen in figure 3.") That's fine, but "figure 3" is four pages later. Then, speaking of "lag bolts", one needs to do a certain amount of "wall prep", as in mounting 2x4's a certain distance from this and that. Fine, but I wish that either, they would've included the necessary hardware to do that or given some indication beforehand that one will need to have such hardware and lumber handy. Yeah, we *all* have some chunks of 2x's laying around, but I don't have the necessary lag bolts, so I need to get some. In addition, they could also improve the instructions by indicating that such hardware is "not included". That way, other maroons like myself, won't waste 5 minutes trying to find what isn't there. :rolleyes:

Now, on the bright side: Fit and finish appears to be pretty good. The Leeson motor is one HD unit and comes pre-wired, complete with plug. That's also kind of a screwy part, as well. I have another 220v unit, which came with the same configuration of plug as the Leeson and I'll be dipped if I can find a matching 220v outlet at the Big Box stores! They have the same configuration, but show the rating as 110v. Go figure. At any rate, this is, in general, one heavy duty unit! I can see this will be a "lot" of fun getting it up on the wall!

That said, I'll bring in more reports as the installation progresses. For now, I'm just happy I've got the thing in-house and can start getting serious about setting up the ducts and such. :cool:

John Scarpa
11-21-2003, 1:07 AM
John,
Glad to see your long awaited dust sucker is finally there. This is the unit that I will probably get so I am VERY interested on how things go with it. It seems installing these things is quite a bit of work. More $ goes into the ducting and blast gates then into the cyclone itself! But oh what a pay off!

Are you considering boxing it in for increased sound abatement? I know the LOML will be big on that since I will be in the garage next to the family room! :)

Good luck and may Mr. Paitience be with you!

Dennis McDonaugh
11-21-2003, 9:18 AM
John, You're going to love the woodsucker. Yeah, its kinda industrial and the instructions were kinda cheesey, but it works like a champ.. BTW, I didn't get instructions with the woodsucker, they came via e-mail right after I put in the order.

There's not really a lot of prep work to do, two two-foot 2X4s and four lag bolts. Its a heavy unit, but I was able to put it up by myself--just lifted the motor section up on my shoulders, climbed up on the ladder and screwed in the mounting bolts with a rachet. Mine didn't come with a cord or a plug.

Depending on the layout of your shop you can spend more on duct than the woodsucker itself.

Have fun.

Steve Jenkins
11-21-2003, 9:39 AM
John, I think it all a part of the program of not being able to do anything without going to the borg at least once. By the way congrats on finally getting it in-house. Steve

John Miliunas
11-21-2003, 10:28 AM
Thanks for your comments and encouragement, guys! I believe that, once it's all over and done with, the payoff will be the proof. And, I sure do know what you mean about spending big $$$ on the ductwork! I'm primarily going to be using metal (the "Snaplock") from the Borg and adjustable 90's from the HVAC section. I've got my order in for more fittings at Kencraft, but haven't seen that stuff yet.

And John, don't think I'll be much help on the sound insulating. My shop is on the other side of the garage wall and the cyclone is going on the garage side for both, sound barrier and that it won't take up shop real estate. Larry (from Woodsucker) did mention that getting some 8" insulated duct from the Borg and attaching it on the exhaust side helps cut noise. I still may do that.

I'll keep you's guys posted on progress.... :cool:

Rob Russell
11-21-2003, 11:01 AM
I'm primarily going to be using metal (the "Snaplock") from the Borg and adjustable 90's from the HVAC section.

John,

Be careful about using the light gauge snaplock HVAC pipe from the borg. I remember seeing posts about its collapsing under high suction, such as you might get right at the cyclone inlet.

Make sure you tape your seams and joints. The best stuff for that is the aluminum tape. It's expensive, but it'll never peel like duct tape does. The borg's carry it, usually near the insulation (look by the sheets of Celotex).

Rob

John Miliunas
11-21-2003, 11:07 AM
John,

Be careful about using the light gauge snaplock HVAC pipe from the borg. I remember seeing posts about its collapsing under high suction, such as you might get right at the cyclone inlet.

Make sure you tape your seams and joints. The best stuff for that is the aluminum tape. It's expensive, but it'll never peel like duct tape does. The borg's carry it, usually near the insulation (look by the sheets of Celotex).

Rob

Yeah, I've heard about the collapsing thing, but there are a lot of guys using it. This is the 26ga, and from what I understand, it should hold up OK.

Affirmative on the tape, as well. That was one of the first items I picked up! Even did that on the joints of my old 4" PVC system. Thanks for the heads up! :cool:

Brad Schafer
11-21-2003, 10:46 PM
John - this is OT for this thread, but I couldn't find the other post where you were looking for birdseye maple veneer.

A vendor at the Columbus Woodworks show today had a whole pile of really, really nice birdseye maple veneer. They're out of the Dayton/Cincy area - called Pete's Veneer (classy name). The two guys I talked to were very nice, but I don't know much about this stuff.

Anyway, the owner is Pete Clark, and the phone is 937.667.1090. The guy runs two companies out of the same number (Pete's Veneer and Pete's Safe & Vault Moving), so don't be thrown if someone answers weird.

Again, the stock at the show was very nice.

Sorry about the OT, but good luck,

b

John Miliunas
11-21-2003, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the lead, Brad! Now I only wish I had another lead for DC fittings. :( If I can't come up with anything else for the veneer, I'll give those guys a shout. LOML pretty much agreed that the purty BE Maple may be a bit too extravagant. BUT, she looked through the on-line stock at Certainly Wood and thinks she may have found a nice, but thriftier solution. Thanks anyway and hey, how was the show? Any "lost" equipment follow you home? :D :cool:

Brad Schafer
11-22-2003, 8:55 AM
show was very small - couple of nice displays but not nearly as big as i'd thought. and not a lot of traffic (Friday and nice weather probably accounted for that; should be better today/tomorrow).

Pete's had a GREAT display of veneers. didn't price, since i know nothing about it/have little use, but the material was great.

a guy named Mike Jurnigan had a "how to build a windsor chair" display; extremely interesting, had his own little steamer, treadle lathe and manual tools. spent about an hour there.

several turners, and a couple of *BIG* OneWay lathes to die for. thought of Billy G's Poolewood while watching. rapunzel isn't the only one who could spin gold from straw (or in this case, scrap).

other displays that caught my eye were Kreg (pocket hole jig) and Woodline (router/shaper bits). salesy but informative. live demos are effective.

only big tool vendor of note was MiniMax. Got to play w/ MM-16 and FS-350. the latter is as big as you think it looks ... and costs as much as you think it does. bigger than my Camry! :D

lots of bits, tools, trinkets otherwise.

b

Jim Becker
11-22-2003, 10:41 AM

Agreed. It's also available in the HVAC section right next to the undesireable "duct tape". For folks buying metal duct at the home centers, check the labels carefully. You DO want 26 guage (sometimes called stove pipe), not the thinner HVAC 30 guage stuff. The boxes at HD usually have a grey/silver label and the stickers clearly say 26 guage. Lateral wyes should be purchased from a dust collection specialty vendor like Kencraft or Onieda. The ones at the hardward store are "backwards" and also too abrupt.

John Miliunas
11-24-2003, 10:00 PM
It sounds as though my fittings are finally on their way. Yahoo! :D In the meantime, I started getting prepared for them and even put up a temp run to the CMS. See below. A few points to make: This puppy is HEAVY! And yes, she's loud but, behind the closed doors, normal speaking volume is *plenty*. (Gotta' love it!) The "Long Ranger" has to be the single BEST remote control I own and Lord knows we've got a LOT of those around the house! The temp run to the CMS is just duct taped at the seams, because the main run to it will come apart for the wye's, but it does a knock-em-up job! I'll need to keep loose objects, cats and toddlers away from any of the ports, me thinks! :rolleyes: So far, very pleased! :D :cool:

Don Abele
11-24-2003, 10:32 PM
John, maybe I'm really missing something, but it looks like the exhaust filter is inside a plastic bag. How does that work? I went to their site and it really doesn't give a whole lot of info. Thanks.

Be well,

Doc

John Miliunas
11-24-2003, 10:49 PM
John, maybe I'm really missing something, but it looks like the exhaust filter is inside a plastic bag. How does that work? I went to their site and it really doesn't give a whole lot of info. Thanks.

Be well,

Doc

Right you are, Doc! The finer particulate comes into the chamber with the bag and is filtered through the *outside* of the filter pleats and the exhaust is actually at the top of the housing, going straight up! From what I understand, after really, *really* heavy use, you shut down and simply tap the filter and let the larger pieces fall into the bag. Also, word has it that you empty that bag very, very infrequently and, with proper care, can easily re-use it, although Woodsucker supplies you with five bags as part of the kit. From the minimal "testing" I've done to my temp collection point (which included the mandatory handful or three of sawdust thrown at it :D ), I've yet to detect as much as a single particle of debri in the bag! Guess I'll see how it does once I get to finer dust sources... :cool:

Don Abele
11-24-2003, 11:09 PM
OK...seems like a good idea (the filter essentially working backwards) - you can see when it is getting dirty. After you throw more dust at it :D , let us know how well it does.

Be well,

Doc