PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection Under tablesaw blade

Shiraz Balolia
01-15-2007, 6:15 PM
How many of you have built shrouds around the blades or some other form of dust collection that captures saw dust from underneath the saw blade as opposed to from on top of the table?
Please post pictures of what you have done, if you can.
Thanks.

Bailey John
01-15-2007, 8:02 PM
Not sure if you have a contractor saw or cabinet. Here's what I did for my old Delta CS. Just built a box inside the lower half, then enclosed the back with cut out around the belts and motor mount. The add dust port. I used sheet metal 4" pipe.

Teri McCarter
01-15-2007, 8:17 PM
Can you please show a picture of the back of the saw where you cut the hole? We have a similar saw and I have been wanting to do the same with a 4" hose. Does it pull well from the top of the saw down to the collector hose? We had one built at the base of the table saw and it collected what fell but did nothing to keep the dust from fly at you when cutting.

Thanks,
Teri

Howard Acheson
01-15-2007, 8:29 PM
The only way to capture the dust that gets on top of the tablesaw is with an overarm dust collection system. That is a system where part of the dust collection system branches to a specially constructed blade guard to catch the dust thrown on top of the board being cut. You can't suck the dust that is on top of the table already down into the sawbox.

Steve Kohn
01-15-2007, 9:29 PM
I did a similiar thing to my Delta Contractor saw as John B. did. Except I took off the metal stand and build a box under the saw. The top drawer was the dust collection, with a 4 inch port for the DC hose. There was a second drawer under the dust collection area where I stored the ZCI, MG, blades, etc.

Jim Becker
01-15-2007, 9:33 PM
Folks, what Shiraz is asking about, if I'm not mistaken, is a shroud around the bottom half of the blade to collect directly from the source, similar to what is on the saw stop and many Euro machines. I believe the Dewalt hybrid also has this feature. In this manner, you are not trying to inefficiently collect from the cabinet, but right where most of the dust and chips are originating.

Shiraz, I have not build the same, but contemplated it for the Jet saw I have been using for a number of years. I will not have to do that now with the new slider I'm moving to, but believe it is one of those things that should become "standard equipment" on saws going forward. It's just a better way to do the job.

Dan Forman
01-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Shiraz---Alas, I have nothing to show, but it would be really cool if some major tool company would manufacture such a shroud that could be installed in at least the major saw brands, and then sell them for a reasonable price as an aftermarket item. :) I would be happy to volunteer as a tester for such a unit for the Unisaw.

Dan

Shiraz Balolia
01-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Folks, what Shiraz is asking about, if I'm not mistaken, is a shroud around the bottom half of the blade to collect directly from the source, similar to what is on the saw stop and many Euro machines. I believe the Dewalt hybrid also has this feature. In this manner, you are not trying to inefficiently collect from the cabinet, but right where most of the dust and chips are originating.

Yes, that's type of info. I was looking for. We also have a saw that has that, but I wanted to know the various methods that are out there, both commercially available and good old small shop ideas. Particularly, I am looking for saws that have the "wrap around" shrouds and the flexible hoses that go from that to the cabinet of the saw. Euro saws have utilized that system for decades. Does anyone with a Euro saw have pictures of same, or a website link? Thanks.

Dan - mmmmm, might have to give that one a thought.

Brad Noble
01-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Shiraz,
While I have a Powermatic 66, one of my best friends is using one of your 1023SL's in his professional shop. We both agree (totally) that the absolute worst feature of most cabinet saws is the LACK of good dust collection.

I hope you are sucessful in your search. Sorry we don't have anything to offer as far as photos go. Schedule me to be an alpha tester for the 66 model.

Brad

Kelly C. Hanna
01-15-2007, 11:32 PM
My jobsite saw used to have a shroud under the blade....very cool for dust collection. I've not seen one built like that since. It is a great idea. Try looking up the replacement parts for the Ridgid TS-2400 dust shroud. I'd bet it's not very expensive and you might be able to adapt it to your saw.

glenn bradley
01-16-2007, 12:24 AM
It sounds like you're asking about a shroud that partially encircles the blade. This would be quite a trick as a shop-built add-on that would allow for raising and lowering and tilting, eh? Easier would be as Bailey showed. I went a little tighter on the cavity than Bailey; I just put a panel on the bottom of the saw body where it bolts to the stand and added a 4" port. The back was closed with a velcro'd panel with slots for the belt, etc. that had to be removed for tilting.

This worked quite well for the below table stuff. To get the stuff on top you'll have to go overhead. IMHO.

Don Stanley
01-16-2007, 1:21 AM
This is my PowerMatic 64A with dust collection modifications:
http://members.ai5.net/~kc7cn@ai5.net/main/tablesawdc/PowerMatic_64A.JPG

You can see more details on my web page:

http://members.ai5.net/~kc7cn@ai5.net/main/tablesawdc/

-Don

Brad Olson
01-16-2007, 8:30 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32926

JayStPeter
01-16-2007, 9:18 AM

Dan - mmmmm, might have to give that one a thought.

2nd customer right here

Robert Tarr
01-16-2007, 9:28 AM
Shiraz,

I have not started the project yet, but I have started drafting a couple ideas for my 1023. I think I have settled on heat molded plastic, as I don't want to take the chance of something coming loose under the table and touching teeth and potentially having carbide spitting at me. The two ideas I have are a smaller unit that will attach to the mounting hole for the splitter/blade gaurd and pivot with the blade when tilted, with the deepest part and the collection hose at the front where most of the dust will be propelled down (in my mind..) The other idea is for a wider unit that will fit just below the trunnion that will have the swing of the blade moulded in (think 1/2 moon.) I think the first will be the easiest and the best collector, as it will raise and lower with the blade. Both of these would have DC flex hose to attach it to the standard collection point on the cabinet.

If you need someone to test pilot one on a griz 1023 let me know. ;) I am happy to steal ideas, instead of using precious shop time to build things like this.

Robert

Jim Becker
01-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Robert, I agree that "number one" would be best as it keeps the collection in the same plane as the blade and keeps the exposed air flow area more in line with the potential duct area for max flow.

Lou Morrissette
01-16-2007, 10:50 AM
My jobsite saw used to have a shroud under the blade....very cool for dust collection. I've not seen one built like that since. It is a great idea. Try looking up the replacement parts for the Ridgid TS-2400 dust shroud. I'd bet it's not very expensive and you might be able to adapt it to your saw.

Kelly,
My TS3650 has the similar type shroud and works pretty well collecting at the source.

Lou

Lou Morrissette
01-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Here's a rather poor pic of the shroud on my 3650.

Lou

Matt Lillie
01-16-2007, 9:20 PM
Here's a rather poor pic of the shroud on my 3650.

Lou

I took a piece of cardboard and some gaff tape and blocked off the gap between the shroud and the table. It works great but needs to be removed when the blade is tilted. I would like to see piece that folds up like an accordian so it didn't have to be removed.