PDA

View Full Version : Drawboring bench end caps question

Michael Hammers
01-15-2007, 6:10 PM
Hello, I am building a Federal style workbench. More recently a Mike Dunbar style. I am loosely following the plans from FWW. It is an all wood project so I am rejecting bed bolts and also bolting the endcaps. I want to use a large single dovetail for the far end of the bench connecting to the back piece and then drawbore instead of bolting into the bench ends. The other end has a shoulder vise so It will only DT to the back piece. Has anyone tried this? Any and all info would be great.

Particulars:
Walnut top 2 3/4" x 4 7/8 thick
3/4" x 2 3/4" african mahogany sandwiched betwixt the walnut :D Each section will be 5 5/8" wide and it comprises 5 sections. Making it a bit over 28" wide. Anyone think I should go one more section wider. No tool tray I think.

Thanks, Michael

Pam Niedermayer
01-15-2007, 8:43 PM
If you mean a long sliding dovetail, no drawboring will be necessary.

Pam

Mark Singer
01-15-2007, 8:52 PM
Drawboring will help to pull the mortise and tenon together....don't over do it or you can split the tenon and break the grain...1/16 th off set or less. That will draw th joint together. Or get a long clamp and pull it together. If you use a sliding dovetail it will be hard to assemble with 2 aprons to match to the end caps.

Ken Bryant
01-15-2007, 10:11 PM
I can't picture where the dovetail is, or what gets drawbored. Diagram...? Also can't picture how all this accomodates movement. Is the top vertical grained?

Bob Smalser
01-16-2007, 9:14 AM
It is an all wood project so I am rejecting bed bolts and also bolting the endcaps.

I want to use a large single dovetail for the far end of the bench connecting to the back piece and then drawbore instead of bolting into the bench ends.

The other end has a shoulder vise so It will only DT to the back piece.

Particulars:
Walnut top 2 3/4" x 4 7/8 thick 3/4" x 2 3/4" African Mahogany sandwiched betwixt the walnut

Each section will be 5 5/8" wide and it comprises 5 sections. Making it a bit over 28" wide.

It would help for you to look up the terminology before you take advice based on a misunderstanding. Any cabinetmaking book like Frier's Cabinetmaking and Millwork , a standard reference, will provide the terms.

In general, your bench is way too wide to work both sides, and dovetails don't need pins. Unlike in a M/T, shoulder fit in a dovetail joint has nothing to do with clamping pressure, and in a sliding dovetail designed to move seasonally, a pin would hurt rather than help. Bigger isn't better in a bench..the wider it is, the harder it is to flatten and keep flat when it moves seasonally. Build a separate assembly table to have a large, flat surface.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/6583947/84781053.jpg

If I understood you, an "end cap" or "breadboard end" is generally called a cleat, and a sliding dovetail instead of a tongue and groove joint has no advantages. Fitted correctly, the T&G won't fall apart.

Michael Hammers
01-16-2007, 1:10 PM
Here is a link to someone who made their top in a similar fashion. Dunbar's design does not incorporate any endcaps on the left side of the bench.
This design uses a T&G and it looks like bolts also?

http://pages.friendlycity.net/~krucker/Bench/EndCaps.htm

I have considered the sliding dovetail but think that the "bread-board" design is much easier. I suppose I was concerned about having just a glued T&G on the end.
As far as wood movement. The walnut is quarter-sawn and is alternated with grain orientation plus the 3/4" mahogany should help limit movement. i am more concerned with drawboring and or bolting the ends as to much movement will bust it apart.

Alex Yeilding
01-16-2007, 1:53 PM
I also built my bench with a "no metal" mantra. But I wasn't completely pure--I predrilled, except for the outside layer, for a threaded rod to hold the shoulder, then marked on the underside of my bench the location for drilling the last little bit if I need to add that in the future. ("Drill 2 3/8" above this pint").

My endcaps are held on similarly to the one in Rucker's bench you pointed out. And that is a reason for a tool well--You can firmly attach both the front and back end of the endcap, and let one side of the tool well float in a dado to accomodate movement of the top. (If I remember correctly, Rucker has it moving under the top.) Then the front and back boards of the bench tie the endcaps firmly together, and against the ends of the bench.

Michael Hammers
01-16-2007, 2:22 PM
Alex,
you are spot on. The whole tool tray aspect sort of gives you what you need to tie it all together. I am not a tool tray fan and want to keep the symmetry of the top together. I am not keen on his use of the dovetails though. So I have been trying to come up with an alternative. I also have to watch the underside as I am using two large (LARGE) wooden screws for the front vise and I do not want anything coming close to interfering with them.
The "all-wood-mantra" is a harsh taskmaster. I just also wonder if it would be just as advisable to leave the ends "raw".
I have done the base with large thru "tusk" teonon's. I think it will be sturdy enuff!