PDA

View Full Version : Walnut table finally finished - Pictures

Tom Hoffman
01-15-2007, 5:10 PM
Here is my walnut kitchen table. My thanks to so many in the SMC community that inspired me and taught me so many things, especially those that that helped with my pesky finishing questions.

Top is 74"x38"
Behlens Rock Hard rubbed to 1500, then pumice rubbed, then Behlens Deluxing Compound
Mortised breadboard ends
Two 20"x20" drawers underneath
Drawer sides tiger maple
Drawer bottoms 1/16" bookmatched beech veneer (both sides) over 1/8" baltic birch.
Legs have 1/16" bookmatched veneers on all four sidesPicture sequence shows rough boards and "shop made" router flattening jig. Once I got one side flat, I could run it through the planer and jointer to get 4 square. Then after glue up, I flattened with a Ebay refurbished Stanly #7, then my LN #4 1/2 smoother.

chris fox
01-15-2007, 5:22 PM
really nice work. I havent seen a kitchen table having drawers but probably makes sense. How long did it take you to polish out the finish?

Again nice work! Where are chairs??:D

Darl Bundren
01-15-2007, 5:26 PM
That's a beautiful table! I was recliner shopping with my wife today (for her mom); I found that I usually find better looking and higher quality furniture here than I can even the high end furniture stores. Yours is another example. How deep are the drawers and the skirt they are set in?

Dan Forman
01-15-2007, 5:35 PM
Wow! Love that figure in the top. Looks like you put in a lot of time and effort on the finish. Well done.

Dan

Bruce Page
01-15-2007, 5:39 PM
Beautiful table!
That finish is so nice that I'd be afraid to put anything down on it!:eek:

Mike Shoemaker
01-15-2007, 5:40 PM
Absolutley beautiful. I have a slab of walnut that i want to make a breakfast bar with. Your table is an inspiration

Dan Oliphant
01-15-2007, 6:36 PM
Very nice Tom. You done good.

John Schreiber
01-15-2007, 6:43 PM
Very beautiful. It will be appreciated for years and years.

Randy Long
01-15-2007, 6:53 PM
Wow! Wow! Wow!

Don Bullock
01-15-2007, 6:57 PM
Beautiful table displaying excellent craftsmanship. I love the grain pattern matching in the top and the finish is fantastic. Could you give some details on how you finished the table?

I continue to be amazed and inspired by what I see from people like you.

Cody Colston
01-15-2007, 7:15 PM
Ditto what everyone else said. That table is beautiful.

It's obvious you put some effort into grain matching and the curl on tthe breadboard end is awesome. Thanks for showing.

Dan Mages
01-15-2007, 7:50 PM
Can I buy one? Excellent work!!

Tom Hoffman
01-15-2007, 7:57 PM
Thanks for all the nice complements. I'm still a rookie. If you only knew how many times I had to re-do things, tweak something here and there. I attribute the final product to my obsessive perfectionist personality. I could never make a living doing this. I'd go broke.

Chris Fox: If I knew then what I know now, I'd say the finish would take about 20 hours. 4 or 5 "build" coats of varnish, power sanded with 320 between coats to get the surface flat. Once flat, about 2 or 3 hours on each side to hand wet sand through the following grits: 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, pumice, wax. But, I didn't know then what I know now. I probably tried 5 different products and wet sanding schedules resulting in well over 100 hours just on the finish.

Darl Bundren: The skirt (apron) is 4 inches high. The drawers take up 2.5 inches in height; are 20" deep, and 20" wide held in place with runners and kickers that span with width of the table.

Don Bullock: I found the key on walnut is to get the grain filled first. I started it all by wet sanding with 50/50 boiled linseed oil(BLO)/mineral spirits to bring out the grain fill the pores with the sanding residue. The BLO really made the grain "pop." I discovered the 100% BLO made the top too dark for my liking. This was 3 year old air dryed walnut which had so many beautiful colors in it, I didn't want to spoil the colors by making it too dark. The BLO mix will dry out as you sand leaving a kind of clumpy sawdust residue. Through trial and error, I discovered it was best to let it dry overnight, then carefully scrape the surface flat and VERY lightly hand sand it flat before applying the first coat of varnish. If you wipe the oil/residue off when it's still wet, it was very hard not to have it come out of the pores, thus defeating the purpose. After that, the build coats were brushed on, left to dry in my very dusty garage, then sanded with my random orbital sander with 320 between coats. Have to be very careful not to get too aggressive. Yes, I did sand through - several times. After about 4 or 5 coats, the surface should be pretty flat. That's when it's ready for the hand wet sanding. I also found that even taking it up to the finest grits, I still had to put on a wax to make it look nice. I tried Briwax and Behlens Deluxing Compound. I like the Behlens best, but there really wasn't a huge difference.

Ron Brese
01-15-2007, 8:09 PM
Tom I believe a guy could look into the top of that table and have a shave instead of using a mirror.

Ron

lou sansone
01-15-2007, 8:11 PM
great looking table .. love walnut and you did a great job
lou

Mark Singer
01-15-2007, 8:19 PM
Georgeous wood! Wonderful work! Excellent design! What rookie? I don't see any rookie? Very nice hand work with the planes too!

Corey Hallagan
01-15-2007, 8:28 PM
Wow, what a beautiful table and that finish would make S.E Johnson happy :) Nice work!

Corey

Hans Braul
01-15-2007, 8:32 PM
Love the wood, Love the finish, Love the workmanship.

Great job!

Jim W. White
01-15-2007, 8:48 PM
Nothing to add ...but I just got to say OUTSTANDING!!!

Roy Wall
01-15-2007, 8:58 PM
Tom -

The table is fabulous!! Well done....and way to hang with it.....your hard labor and persistence has produced a wonderful table.

jonathan snyder
01-15-2007, 9:13 PM
Very nice Tom. That is a beautiful table with a great finish!

Jonathan

Kristian Wild
01-15-2007, 9:39 PM
Wow! Thats georgeous! I love the giant butterfly on the top. Well done!

Jim Becker
01-15-2007, 9:40 PM
Beautiful table! Outstanding shine!

John Timberlake
01-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Beautiful table! Very pretty wood on the top. Nice simple design.

Rick Peek
01-15-2007, 10:16 PM
In a word...Beautiful!!!!!!!

Al Navas
01-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Beautiful table!

LOML has been wanting to replace the very old harvest table in the kitchen, so this is timely. But I am not sure that we would use a table with such a nice finish!

Alan Greene
01-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Gorgeous table. It looks like it was definitely a labor of love!

Dan McGuire
01-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Excellent table...

That is project I am going to take on as soon as winter passes and I can I spread out in garage. What is the dimensions of legs? Did you use loose or traditional M&T joints for the legs to the apron?

I am going to make mine for Ash or Maple, haven't decided yet, but that table is about the size I was looking at

Great work, thanks for posting

Jeffrey Makiel
01-16-2007, 6:57 AM
Mannnnn....that sure looks good! That finish is excellent. I can see that a lot of hours went into it, and a lot of elbow work. It's probably one of the nicest finishes you could put on walnut.

Good work....Jeff :)

Rich Torino
01-16-2007, 8:28 AM
Great work.. Rookie? What Rookie...

Karin Voorhis
01-16-2007, 9:20 AM
very lovely piece of work here. I love the addition of drawers too.

Don Bullock
01-16-2007, 9:31 AM
Tom: Thank you for the very detailed description of the way you finished this piece. As others have stated as well, it's outstanding.

As for the rookie thing and making mistakes, even the masters around here make some mistakes on most pieces they make. That has nothing to do with being a roockie. From the results you have displayed in this post, you are no roockie.

Keith Hooks
01-16-2007, 10:26 AM
The finish is beautiful. The amount of time it took is a bit daunting. That's good feedback on the wet sanding too. Thanks for posting.