PDA

View Full Version : Help pick the next contest type.

Kurt Rosenzweig
01-15-2007, 1:22 PM
The charity suggested is the Diabetes Foundation. Keep in mind that this may be open to other forums of Sawmill

Mark Pruitt
01-15-2007, 1:28 PM
Kurt, I don't see any options. Did you hollow 'em all out?:D

Never mind.......I see 'em now....:rolleyes:

Bob Hallowell
01-15-2007, 2:38 PM
How bout something like peppermills that someone like me would have a chance. I like the charity idea but would also like to toss in the idea of an abysseration with it. Someone like Ryan Cathey who has been posting alot in the neander section. He's a high school kid who is really getting into woodworking. I turned him a spalted pen to match a box he made for his grandpa for Chistmas, He said he would love to turn but can't afford a lathe yet.

Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2007, 3:51 PM
Okay.....I had this crazy idea that even Andy called "intriguing".....

Everyone has a different level of turning abilities....I'd like to see everyone get involved.....From 1st bonkers to art.......Not everyone has the financial where-with-all to get really financially involved.....so here's my suggestion for a fun free-for-all turning contest.......Everyone can get involved to a certain degree............

We have a "covered turning contest".

Anyone who wants to enter the contest.....as a turner/entrant signs up on a list.........Each turner turns an entry....anything...bonker.....box....bowl...art.. ..anything...as elaborate or simple as you want.......Numbers are assigned to an entrant as they sign the signup sheet....So when the time allowed to turn the entries is over....at the announcement by the committee....number 1 starts by posting a photo of their turning COVERED by a piece of cloth so that only the approximate physical size of the turning is MAYBE recognizeable....don't be misleading....don't put something in with the turning to make it appear bigger than it is.....just a photo of the turned object covered in cloth that so it's explicit form or shape isn't recognizeable....anyone who wants to bid on the object does so......after a period of time (to be determined) allowed for bidding, the bidding stops and the entrant posts a 2nd photo of the turned object unveiled....Now all can see what you bid on and what you've bought......At this time entrant #2 posts a photo of covered object #2.......The buyer of #1 has an option......keep unveiled object #1...a known quantity....pay shipping charges to the turner and receive same AND pay the committee for the object.....OR......pay the committee for the object and place the object back up for further bidding......

I'll be blunt.....This would require everyone to be aware....If not a lot of bids are made on an object....you could get your pride stepped on....if it's placed back up for bidding....you could get your pride stepped on twice...but....there's a lot of folks "first bonker" I'd be proud to own...to bid on more than once......there's a lot of talented turner's art I'd be happy to own.....I mean...shoot.....Andy proudly posted his photo taken with my first bonker.......That shows neither on of us have any pride!:p

Maybe this sounds too complicated but I think it would allow us to have a little fun....keep us in suspense.......and generate some funds....

What say ye?

Tom Sherman
01-15-2007, 4:03 PM
Ken sounds to me like that could be a lot of fun. I'll second that one for sure could be interesting to see what comes out of it.

Jason Christenson
01-15-2007, 5:36 PM
Ken, that sounds very interesting... I don't understand any of it... but it sounds very interesting.

Jonathon Spafford
01-15-2007, 6:20 PM
I kinda caught Ken's idea... for the most part. Sounds like it could be a barrel of fun. Lets go for it :D

John Hart
01-15-2007, 7:41 PM
I like Kens idea too. Can I leave mine covered for both pictures?:p

John Shuk
01-15-2007, 7:59 PM
I'd like to see an auction done with proceeds going to the winner's choice ofcharity.

John Chandler
01-15-2007, 10:21 PM
I like this idea. It sounds sort of like an online Chinese auction except your not steling someone else's acquisition. I am assuming the experience level of the turner of the object is unknown while it is covered. And to clarify this in my mind - the winner has 2 choices - keep the item and pay shipping to turner and price to committee or pay price to committee to have it returned for further bidding - donating it back to the committee. Assuming someone else bids on it - would the bidding start over? I guess the uncovered items would be available for an additional amount of time equal to what it was available while coverered? (Example: If the covered items were available for 1 day, then it would be available for 1 day while uncovered.) It could even be available for longer. I don't know how far you've gone with this in your head but I do think it is a neat idea and it could be quite a bit of fun.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2007, 11:20 PM
John...I've been thinking some more about this idea. My idea is that we would never have more than two objects available for bidding after the opening bid.....the current covered item....and possibly the previously uncovered bought, paid and redonated item

Obviously....the last item bid upon....would just be covered....and then uncovered....no decision available....