PDA

View Full Version : CSI Woodshop - bloody fingerprints !

Roy Bennett
01-15-2007, 11:42 AM
:o I got a small knick on my thumb yesterday. One of those 'no damage but bled like a stuck pig' things. Quick bandaid and back to work.

This morning while cutting tenons on some red oak, I noticed red fingerprints all over several stiles. Seems yesterday's cut bled some more, saturated the bandaid and transfered to the workpieces.

Boy, I wish I knew of some dye or stain that works as well as blood!!!!!!
Does anyone know how to get the blood out??

Pete Harbin
01-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Maybe some light passes with a scraper? Since blood is thicker than most finishes (chuckle!) I wouldn't think it would penetrate too deeply, but then again it is oak, which is open-grained, pourous.

One of my instructors at Santa Fe CC told us that, "...there is a little bit of my DNA in most of the peices I've built..." Eeeeeeeeewwwww! :eek:

Pete

Mack Cameron
01-15-2007, 1:04 PM
:o I got a small knick on my thumb yesterday. One of those 'no damage but bled like a stuck pig' things. Quick bandaid and back to work.

This morning while cutting tenons on some red oak, I noticed red fingerprints all over several stiles. Seems yesterday's cut bled some more, saturated the bandaid and transfered to the workpieces.

Boy, I wish I knew of some dye or stain that works as well as blood!!!!!!
[quote]Does anyone know how to get the blood out??Try some drops of Hydrogen Peroxide. A nurse told me that was how to get blood stains out of my wood carving. Never had to try it though! Just lucky, I guess.

David G Baker
01-15-2007, 2:24 PM
Give hydrogen peroxide a try as Mack suggested and please let us know how it works.
When I was young and worked on my own vehicles there wasn't a one that I didn't donate DNA to. So far I have been lucky with my woodworking projects.
David B

Roy Bennett
01-15-2007, 6:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Hydrogen Peroxide works like magic, the brown smears just disappear.

fred woltersdorf
01-15-2007, 6:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Hydrogen Peroxide works like magic, the brown smears just disappear.
works great for getting wine stains out of clothing or carpets damhikt.

Dan Gill
01-16-2007, 9:09 AM
I'm glad the hydrogen peroxide worked. Right before I built my shop cabinets, I got a little too close to a router bit and cut two of my fingers. When my daughter helped me pick out the paint for the cabinets, she picked red "so the blood won't show".