PDA

View Full Version : My Latest (segmented)

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Here’s a photo (2 views) of my latest, titled, "Gabriel’s Dilemma” (reference the archangel Gabriel). It’s mostly kingwood, about 18” tall, 1812 pieces (reference the 1812 Overture). All surfaces were turned on the lathe prior to final assembly. All comments and/or constructive critiques are welcome.

Mike Ramsey
01-15-2007, 11:40 AM
That is absolutely Amazing! to say the least....

Tom Sherman
01-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Malcom that is just awsome.

Pete Jordan
01-15-2007, 12:13 PM
My hat is off to you!

What a piece of ART!

Dennis Peacock
01-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Beautiful art there Malcolm. Funny thing though. I can't seem to get my lathe to turn funky like that. :p :D

Beautiful work Sir...

John Hart
01-15-2007, 12:29 PM
...Funny thing though. I can't seem to get my lathe to turn funky like that....

I did. I think I gotta get a new lathe now.:rolleyes:

Very cool piece! If you don't mind my asking, how long does it usually take to create one of these twisty turny pieces that you've obviously mastered and I'll never find the patience to ever do? And by "time" I mean, the pondering, the design, layout, scribbling, erasing...everything.

Steve Schlumpf
01-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Stunning art Malcolm! I am impressed by your woodworking and woodturning skills but most of all that you can think up something like this in the first place!

Bob Opsitos
01-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Amazing. It's hard to comprehend how it's even done.

Any chance you've got any in-process pics?

Thanks
bob

Mark Pruitt
01-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Malcolm, that is incredible art, the kind that I can just stare at and not become tired of looking. I'm trying to imagine your thinking behind the title. I have a couple of ideas but I'm not sure either is correct. You might want that to remain a mystery.

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Malcolm absolutely awesome. WOW. That is some beautiful work.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2007, 12:59 PM
You have a remarkeable talent Malcolm. I'm envious!

Neal Addy
01-15-2007, 1:20 PM
That does it. I'm getting your book, Malcolm. I'll never be able to turn (or imagine) anything like that but I sure want to try my hand at that seg-mental stuff!

And, it gives me another good reason to buy that TS. :cool:

David Walser
01-15-2007, 2:15 PM
Malcolm,

That's incredible work! It's exhilarating and scary at the same time. Exhilarating because it is a thing of true beauty. Scary because, like looking at Michael Angelo's David, I can appreciate the beauty but cannot even imagine that I could ever make something of similar quality.

I plan on attending your presentations at the upcoming DWR. Please tell me you'll be teaching something simpler than how to make Gabriel’s Dilemma! Talk about over my head. It would be like my sitting in on a calculous class when I was in 4th grade. Sure, I'd understand you are doing something with wood and glue, but not much more than that.

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-15-2007, 2:44 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

John, I don’t punch a time clock (it would probably scare me if I did). “How long does that take?” is always one of the first questions that I get asked about my work. This particular piece has been floating around in my head for months. The actually labor to create it, was probably around 80 to 100 hours (just a guess). I continue to develop time-saving techniques with every piece.

Bob, sorry, I didn’t take any photos during the construction.

Mark, my biggest challenge is to create pieces that encourage viewers to “ponder”. I’m guessing that people will come to several different conclusions regarding the title and shape.

Neal, I’d be happy to sell you my book, just go to my website. Or if you prefer, most of the online booksellers have it.

David, in Mesa, my presentations will go from basics to forms like this (three different demos).

Jim Becker
01-15-2007, 3:31 PM
Malcolm, that's just an incredibly interesting piece and yet another wonderful work of art! Bravo!

Ernie Nyvall
01-15-2007, 8:04 PM
I could tell you guys how he did it... heck I did 25-30 similar turnings last month. Sold them all before I could take any pics.:D

Malcolm that is certainly some wonderful work. I am completely amazed at how............... I mean why he others don't see how you did it.

Curt Fuller
01-15-2007, 8:58 PM
Mark, my biggest challenge is to create pieces that encourage viewers to “ponder”. I’m guessing that people will come to several different conclusions regarding the title and shape.

So, Ponder I did! The Archangel Gabriel has so many different ties to so many different religions that it's no wonder he had such a dilemna. But when he finally blows that horn I expect he will make some beautiful music.

John Miliunas
01-15-2007, 9:13 PM
Malcolm, I do believe that Gabriel himself would be honored to use that horn! Wonderful work! :) :cool:

Alex Cam
01-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Amazing work!

John Chandler
01-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Fantatic - amazing - incredible - I think all the words I am thinking have already been used. It is definitely impressive.

Jim Ketron
01-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Nice Piece Malcolm!
You do some unreal work!

Bill Boehme
01-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Stunning art Malcolm! I am impressed by your woodworking and woodturning skills but most of all that you can think up something like this in the first place!
I feel the same way as you do Steve.

I try to visualize in my head how something like this is done and all that I wind up with is a headache from a few hundred blown neurons -- never mind even conceiving the idea in the first place.

I have your book, Malcolm, and I have even slept with it placed under my pillow, but still it has not quite penetrated the thick cranium. Should I try actually reading it?

Bill

Jeff Yates
01-16-2007, 10:32 AM
The work, enough can probably not be said, but I will leave it to people more eloquent than myself..

What is mind boggling for me is the planning that must be involved in a piece like this. You say 80-100 man hours went into the building? What about the design, 1812 pieces exactly, for the figure 8, 8,888 pieces exactly...it kind of makes my eyeballs twitch just thinking about it...I'm afraid it's too much for a good ole boy like myself...

So I will say I've set this piece as my desktop...I'm trying to Grok the layout, and hoping some of your skills might rub off on me through electronic osmosis...

Paul Engle
01-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Bill got lucky with just a few hundred blown neurons, I musta lost half of mine, sweet stuff Malcolm. I'll be getting your book soon, awwwwsome work Malcolm , just awsome.:D

Kent Parker
01-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Beautiful work Malcolm. I also really enjoyed the photo gallery on your web site. Stunning work.

Cheers.

Doug Collins
01-16-2007, 12:39 PM
That is absolutely amazing!

I've been practicing a simpler form of segmented turning.

I start with a single block of wood and end up with many small unrelated segments that require gluing back together to be recognized.

Bill Wyko
01-16-2007, 2:48 PM
Malcolm you are an inspiration to segmenters everywhere(especially here inTucson) I just got your book in the mail today. I can't wait to get home and start reading. Someday I'll try to make something twisted up like that. My question would be; do you know the number of segments before you start or is it determined as you go? I'm hoping to make the show next month so I look foreward to meeting you.
P.S. I've started my next segmented vessel and I was wondering if there's any rule about using a router for creating patterns?

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-16-2007, 5:47 PM
Bill, when I “gifted” my book to a few non-turning relatives, I inscribed it by saying “Put this next to your bed, it’s more effective than a bottle of Tylenol PM’s.” Hopefully, you’ll find it more useful.

Regarding number of segments, if I’ve decided to incorporate the “total number of pieces” as part of the theme of the piece, then of course I have to know that number before starting; otherwise, I don’t pay much attention to the total number.

Regarding router use, there are “no rules”; you’re free to do and use whatever “turns you on”.

See you in Mesa.

Dale Gregory
01-16-2007, 6:00 PM
Beautiful piece of art.....how does it sound?

Dale

Mark Cothren
01-16-2007, 6:19 PM
That must require incredible patience and focus... very impressive!

Christopher K. Hartley
01-16-2007, 6:31 PM
Wow! I can't even imagine what you go through to get there.:)

Fred Ritter
01-16-2007, 7:06 PM
Absolutely incredible Malcolm. Your work and your book continue to inspire me. Thanks.

Bill Wyko
01-16-2007, 7:40 PM
Wow! I can't even imagine what you go through to get there.:)
I would immagine A LOT of wood shavings:D

Bill Wyko
01-16-2007, 7:43 PM
Bill, when I “gifted” my book to a few non-turning relatives, I inscribed it by saying “Put this next to your bed, it’s more effective than a bottle of Tylenol PM’s.” Hopefully, you’ll find it more useful.

Regarding number of segments, if I’ve decided to incorporate the “total number of pieces” as part of the theme of the piece, then of course I have to know that number before starting; otherwise, I don’t pay much attention to the total number.

Regarding router use, there are “no rules”; you’re free to do and use whatever “turns you on”.

See you in Mesa.
I can assure you this book will be read cover to cover again and again. It's not often when you find someone willing to give up so many secrets involved in creating things of such beauty. Thank you very much for the opportunity to learn some of your skills.

Bruce Boone
01-16-2007, 8:34 PM
Wonderful artwork Malcolm, as are all the pieces on your site. I see a bit of Escher in your style. I love that stuff. Do you make most of the pieces with a particular customer in mind, or do the art for arts sake and decide if they are to sell later?

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-17-2007, 2:04 AM
Bruce, I am a big fan of Escher, but I've never thought that my "style" had any comparisons to his work. I mostly create for me, but someone else usually purchases what I make. The majority of my work is directly sold to collectors without gallery involvement. The nature of my work severely limits the number of pieces which I can produce.

Tony Ward
01-17-2007, 5:37 AM
that is inspirational - and I don't turn!

Bill Wyko
01-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Well, I started reading from page one and I must say that the detailed information in this book is fantastic. Not only in technique but definition as well. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained by reading this book. I'm just getting to the good stuff but i thumbed through the rest of the book to see what I'm in for and I'm already getting numerous ideas for future projects. This book is a must for anyone who wants to try segmenting. Malcolm, thanks again for publishing this book. Without this information it could take years to develope these techniques and one may still fall short of the info in this book. Again this book is a must read.:D