PDA

View Full Version : Jet Tailstock too tight

Jeff Myers
01-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi All,
The tailstock on my Jet mini has gotten extremely hard to turn, I've taken
off the handle and taken out the spindle and put wd40 down in there
and seems to have loosened up a tad but still a bear to turn.
I don't have my manual anymore but can the assembly inside the tailstock
come out? Is there a trick to it? With the spindle out and the handle off,
there's still a shaft in there(that the spindle rides on) i'm sure it's just gummed up but it didn't want to come out easily and i thought i'd ask before banging on it harder.
As always, thanks in advance,
Jeff

Gordon Seto
01-15-2007, 8:42 PM
Jeff,

This is the link to the 1014VS manual. The 6-speed model should have the same tail stock.
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/partfiles/m_708351VS.pdf
If you loosen the quill locking handle, you can crank the tailstock spindle out completely by advancing the quill. When you put it back, you only have to align the keyway, give the spindle a gentle push while retracking on the handle wheel.

Gordon

Bill Boehme
01-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Just to make sure that we are on the same page, the Morse tapered part of the live center is the "arbor" and the female Morse tapered mating part is the "spindle". It is kept from rotating and locked in place by a "stud" with a ratcheting handle that rides in the spindle keyway.

You have removed the live center arbor, tailstock spindle, handwheel, and stud and yet the leadscrew (or jackscrew) will not come out. If memory serves me correctly, there is a snap ring around the leadscrew, but that should not keep it from coming out unless there is a setscrew somewhere near the handwheel end of the tailstock that has it captured. It is also possible that the handwheel end of the leadscrew is galled or mushroomed. If you see evidence of this, a little judicious use of fine emory cloth should fix the problem.

Concerning your use of WD-40 for lubrication, reprogram yourself to use it only for cleaning, freeing frozen parts, and water displacement. Use bearing grease for lubricating moving parts in the tailstock.

The reason that the spindle is hard to crank in and out can be one of two things:
If you are lucky and have taken reasonably good care of your lathe, the cause is probably that the end of the stud that rides in the spindle keyway has gotten deformed enough to always drag on the keyway. Use a file to dress the end of the stud so that it is smooth and round.
The bad news situation could be that the threads on the leadscrew and on the spindle are damaged by cranking the tailstock knob while the spindle lock is tightened down. In that case, new parts will be needed ($$$$$ cha-chiiii...nnnng $$$$).Once you have taken care of the leadscrew and spindle, lubricate the threads lightly with bearing grease -- motor oil could also be used.

Bill

Bill Boehme
01-16-2007, 1:29 AM
.............. it didn't want to come out easily and i thought i'd ask before banging on it harder...............

Yikes, I just re-read your post ......... "bang on it harder"? Jeff, you are scaring me, bud. Does this mean that you have already banged on it? Bad, bad boy! Step back and take a fresh look at it. If you have a tiny flashlight that can get down inside the "quill" -- that's the upper cast iron body with the hole bored in it for the spindle, you might be able to see something useful. Also examine it closely for a setscrew that has captured the leadscrew. You are only allowed to bang on it with a 4 oz. balsa sapwood mallet with an eider down pad on the head.

Bill

Frank Wilson
01-16-2007, 2:12 AM
Get a bigger hammer....:eek:

Just kidding....

Be careful, you don't want to cause any further damage if it's damaged and not just "gummed up."

Jeff Myers
01-16-2007, 8:34 AM
Thanks for the replies,,,looking at the manual it does appear there's a snap ring on the lead screw inside the quill but it looks to be in place to
keep the screw from traveling further out the back end of the tailstock.
I put the handle on while the spindle was still off the screw and it's still hard to turn so it's not a burr on the locking screw hole of the quill, it's with the screw itself,,,now it might be mushroomed, but it's not evident from viewing what i can see at the back side of the tailstock so I'm thinking it is gummed up pretty good. I quess i shouldn't have said "bang"
because it was a gentle tap with a softwood block,,,,but i believe i'll
actually try a little more persuasion tonight and see if i can push that screw out ,,,may need a new screw after all.

Gordon Seto
01-16-2007, 11:59 AM
I am sorry, I got confused with my other lathe, the Nova DVR.

Gordon