PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy art

Aleta Allen
01-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Does anyone have a good source for line type art that is Very Detailed of wildlife, deer, elk, buffalo, horses, bucking bulls and rodeo? I have a few but I am looking for better quality. I have bought a several books and clipart CD's but most are very basic, not detailed. Many are not realistic but cartoon type also. I need realistic, detailed art. I am not needing a lot , but a few.

Any artists or graphic companies that sell individual designs for use with the laser? I have found beautiful art from some, but when I contact them, they do not sell use to their designs.

Any ideas are appreciated:)

Thanks

Aleta

Brent Vander Weil
01-15-2007, 11:39 AM
I have found some nice art here...

www.doverpublications.com (http://www.doverpublications.com)

Dave Jones
01-15-2007, 11:50 AM
tattoo-art.com used to have a special section with CDs for engravers and vector art, with very realistic animals. But those links don't seem to work anymore. Not sure what is going on.

Ed Newbold
01-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Does anyone have a good source for line type art that is Very Detailed of wildlife, deer, elk, buffalo, horses, bucking bulls and rodeo? I have a few but I am looking for better quality. I have bought a several books and clipart CD's but most are very basic, not detailed. Many are not realistic but cartoon type also. I need realistic, detailed art. I am not needing a lot , but a few.

Any artists or graphic companies that sell individual designs for use with the laser? I have found beautiful art from some, but when I contact them, they do not sell use to their designs.

Any ideas are appreciated:)
Thanks, AletaBelieve it or not, I found some graphics in "booklet" form over at Barnes & Noble yesterday. The book came with a CD having the images in the booklets in both raster and vector form. Each booklet averaged about $14.95.

Also, take a look at Best Buy. You can usually find a good clipart package with over 300,000 images for about $30.

Cheers,

Pete Simmons
01-15-2007, 12:46 PM
What section of Barnes & Noble were you looking in?I found some graphics in "booklet" form over at Barnes & Noble yesterday

Joe Pelonio
01-15-2007, 12:48 PM
I have found some nice art here...

www.doverpublications.com (http://www.doverpublications.com)

I use them too, but remember to write and get permission to use it on things that you sell or you can violate their terms. (Read the fine print)

"RIGHTS AND PERMISSIONS DEPARTMENT

Fax: 516-746-1821 email: ttorretto@doverpublications.com

PLEASE KEEP THIS ON FILE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE
This letter is being sent in response to your recent inquiry requesting a fuller explanation of our policy concerning the use of images in our Clip Art and Pictorial Archive books and CD-ROM products....."

Ed Newbold
01-15-2007, 2:00 PM
What section of Barnes & Noble were you looking in? I found some graphics in "booklet" form over at Barnes & Noble yesterdayI was scouring through the Crafts department looking for wood pattern books when I noticed this 4-sided rotating display with the booklets on them.

Aleta Allen
01-15-2007, 5:59 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have some dover books, some are good but still looking for more. I have bought the "Art Explosion" and it is great, but doesn't have the horse and rodeo and wildlife with the detail and realistic like I am looking for.

I will look at Barnes and Knoble and tattoo.com too.:)

It is the details that are hard to find in most clipart I have bought.

Thanks

Aleta

Carol VanArnam
01-15-2007, 7:14 PM
Costco is a great place to get graphics and they often have rebates.

Fry's Electronics is great because they always have repate programs so you pretty much end up getting it for free. I've gotten about 25 different programs for just the cost of the tax. What I do is buy the software, pull out the fonts and the graphics. I dump them into corel and poof I'm happy.

Ebay is a great place to find really cheap graphics. I've gotten tons and tons of graphics for very little money. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Keith Outten
01-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Aleta,

The url for Tattoo Art is;

www.tattoo-art.com

I will contact Jim Crowe and find out what happend to the vector and engravers art pages.

Dave Fifield
01-16-2007, 12:28 AM
You could try what I do. I find a photograph of the subject I'm interested in (usually to make a marquetry picture of), get it into jpg/bmp/whatever format and import it to its own layer in Corel Draw X3.

Then, on another layer, in the foreground, I use my graphics tablet and pen to trace the parts of the photo that I want to use. Once I have the main lines drawn, I turn off the background photograph (using the visibility eye in the object manager) and add the finishing touches to the line art that I produced. Inevitably, when you zoom in, you will find some nodes will need moving, some curves adjusting, some lines that need to be completely re-drawn etc. This fix-up phase of the work can be very time consuming, but it's worth spending the time to make sure the picture is exactly how you want it.

Once the new vector file is all done, I delete the original photograph(s) layer and I'm left with my new "original" artwork that I can make any size I want. Walla! YMMV.

FWIW, I have tried to use the trace function but found it's much quicker to just draw my pictures from scratch rather than spend inordinate amounts of time fixing up the errors and omissions that trace gives me on the typical photo.

Brent Vander Weil
01-16-2007, 10:58 AM
I agree with Dave on this too... I have taken jpg's or other photos and just done the outlines and then deleted the picture. I sometimes throw things in the scanner to get the basic idea in digital form so I can do the tracing in Corel...

BTW, Dave what kind of a digital pad do you use and if I may ask what it set you back?

Dave Fifield
01-16-2007, 6:16 PM
BTW, Dave what kind of a digital pad do you use and if I may ask what it set you back?

Hi Brent,

I use a Wacom Intuos 2 (older model now!) 9" x 12" graphics tablet. Cost me about $450 way back when. The new equivalent models are called Intuos 3. The equivalent 9" x 12" model is still about the same price. They have them in widescreen models for newer 16:9 aspect ratio screens. I plan on upgrading mine later this year when I get a 1080p monitor (and matching video card for the PC).

Cheers,

Micheal Donnellan
01-13-2008, 5:43 PM
tattoo.com Whats up with the copy on that lot and the CD mentioned prior.

Art Explosion clipart - any good in general worth the money and copy on that

Dover stuff was to my knowledge based on public domain mages, if you digitized yourself one of the same public domain images whats with the copy on Your file you created. You own it or can they claim ownership of all digital files from the original image.?

I hate copyright and all the messing about involved

Larry Bratton
01-13-2008, 6:43 PM
You could try what I do. I find a photograph of the subject I'm interested in (usually to make a marquetry picture of), get it into jpg/bmp/whatever format and import it to its own layer in Corel Draw X3.

Then, on another layer, in the foreground, I use my graphics tablet and pen to trace the parts of the photo that I want to use. Once I have the main lines drawn, I turn off the background photograph (using the visibility eye in the object manager) and add the finishing touches to the line art that I produced. Inevitably, when you zoom in, you will find some nodes will need moving, some curves adjusting, some lines that need to be completely re-drawn etc. This fix-up phase of the work can be very time consuming, but it's worth spending the time to make sure the picture is exactly how you want it.

Once the new vector file is all done, I delete the original photograph(s) layer and I'm left with my new "original" artwork that I can make any size I want. Walla! YMMV.

FWIW, I have tried to use the trace function but found it's much quicker to just draw my pictures from scratch rather than spend inordinate amounts of time fixing up the errors and omissions that trace gives me on the typical photo.
David:
Hear Hear! I agree with that wholeheartedly. I find most of the vector tracing programs this level of cost to be useless. I use Enroute 3plus for CNC toolpaths and it has the best tracing module I have ever seen, but it costs $3000.

Michael James Smith
01-13-2008, 8:57 PM
Anita, I too have been searching for months for wildlife art, and its been very time consuming drawing my own. I just came across this site www.scmsysteminc.com/index.php (http://www.scmsysteminc.com/index.php) they appear to be some very detailed pen and ink drawings. Look under designs for stencils Their cds are on closeout right now. I ordered 2 of them but I have not yet recieved them so I'll have to let you know how they look when I get them.

Bill W. White
01-13-2008, 11:40 PM
If you search Tandy leather they sell designs for leather toolers that are great source of western rodeo scenes and all sorts of cowboy stuff etc.I bought there books years ago to use in sandcarving and it would be perfect for laser application http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

George D Gabert
01-14-2008, 9:33 AM
We use plasma cam art disks for cutting metal. they are a little pricy but the artwork is good. Their web site is http://www.plasmacam.com/projectsart.php.

Peter Zacarelli
01-14-2008, 4:31 PM
I use iStockPhoto dot Com. They have all sorts of graphics, images and photos. They are royalty free and usually come in both jpg and eps. The prices vary depending on the art and usually for a little extra money you may reproduce the art and sell retail. There system works by becoming a member which is free, then you buy credits. Each art work is x amount of credits. After paying you download the art and use it. You can browse around there site and see if there is any art that interest you.

Ben Sieber
01-15-2008, 12:54 PM
I also use iStockphoto.com quite often. Its a great source for ideas, vector artwork (great quality) and photos for themed engravings. I haven't found any other resource with as resonable of a pricing structure as istockphoto.

Micheal Donnellan
01-15-2008, 2:09 PM
Can some please explain iStockPhoto's restrictions to me in relation to what we do with laser engraving for resale. I fam constantly getting confused with such legal documents as not a lawyer.

its the "you may not".."use the Content"".""or other items for resale, license or other distribution for profit" is confusing me.

sorry

Micheal Donnellan
01-15-2008, 2:11 PM
Can some please explain iStockPhoto's restrictions to me in relation to what we do with laser engraving for resale. I fam constantly getting confused with such legal documents as not a lawyer.

its the "you may not".."use the Content"".""or other items for resale, license or other distribution for profit" is confusing me.

sorry if I seem to be posting this sort of Q a lot I just need some sort of clarity on the matter.

Dan Hintz
01-15-2008, 2:49 PM
Michael,

Most of the legalese out there typically says you can use the artwork for your projects, but you cannot take the original image and repackage it for sale (i.e., you can etch the image without royalties, but you cannot take the original tiff, gif, vector, whatever file itself and sell that to other shops/customers). Fair use laws may be different in Ireland than in the US, but I would imagine it's pretty close in these cases.

Micheal Donnellan
01-15-2008, 3:16 PM
ah, OK then. Makes it a bit better to understand. The restrictions under commercial rights in these licences are what confuses me.
Does laser count as "printing" or more of a "manufacturing" process. I would be the thinking its printing in general but you have to make up the final product art other times. The laser “print” being just one part.

-------

any way of removing the double post?

Roger McDowell
01-15-2008, 5:45 PM
Take a look at the Department of Fish and Wildlife Drawing Site.

http://www.fws.gov/r9extaff/drawings/drawing.html

Regards

Roger