PDA

View Full Version : Norm's Entry Door

John Piwaron
01-15-2007, 10:59 AM
The last NYW shown in Milwaukee was the episode about the entry door. Norm made it look "easy" (right!). Doable certainly.

My question though is about the jig for mortising the hinges and especially the gadget for routing out the mortise for the lockset.

Can those two be rented if one was to attempt this project? At least the one for the lockset since I can imagine making a hinge template for the particular door/jamb I was installing.

Also, the hinges. I don't remember - did the pin come out? I don't believe I've ever seen a hinge with a removeable pin like the one on my existing entry doors. That's a concern. FWIW, my house was built in 1941, so I assume the doors and their hinges were made about the same time ;)

Todd Tolhurst
01-15-2007, 11:06 AM
You don't need the fancy gizmos Norm used on the show. For the lock mortise you can drill some holes and finish up with a chisel. The hinge mortises are easily made with a chisel or a router and a shop-made template.

Tom Henry
01-15-2007, 11:10 AM
That was a very nice door and it did look fairly easy up until he pulled out those jigs...:eek:

Rod Sheridan
01-15-2007, 11:38 AM
My standard tools for hanging doors/installing locksets;

- hole saw

- a couple of forstner bits

- a couple of chisels

- layout tools such as a knife, pencil, square, steel ruler

Since I don't own a router, I've never had to worry about jigs. Remember, if it were that complicated, Norm would have been the only person with a door on their house.

Regards, Rod.

Lee DeRaud
01-15-2007, 11:56 AM
David Marks did a show about an entry door without using any of those complicated jigs.

Although he did use a MultiRouter to cut the M&Ts... :D :cool: :eek:

John Piwaron
01-15-2007, 12:51 PM
David Marks did a show about an entry door without using any of those complicated jigs.

Although he did use a MultiRouter to cut the M&Ts... :D :cool: :eek:

He used a MultiRouter 'cause he has one. We all do that. I've noticed that nowadays for very nearly every project, every tool gets used. Odd, huh?

Yeah, unless I could rent one, I'll be using my router. If/when I build an entry door.

John Piwaron
01-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Remember, if it were that complicated, Norm would have been the only person with a door on their house.

Regards, Rod.

True. If I build a door (we need 2) I'll use what I got. For me, that's a router. I have a big plunger, I'll just need a long bit.

Ellen Benkin
01-15-2007, 1:28 PM
Don't get cocky about the ease of installing a mortise lock. We had a "professional" do it and he made an absolute mess of it. The hole wound up being too big so now the lock is shimmed into it. If I was having another one installed I would carefully check the references of the installer.

Dar Lounsbury
01-15-2007, 1:52 PM
In building your own door and you did not wish to attempt the lock mortise, take the door to a commercial door distributor. They have door prep shops to modify the doors they sell. My guess would be in the $25 to 30 range for the drilling and faceplate prep. About the same as rental (maybe less) and done by a pro.

Working as a locksmith, installing these types of locks are part of everyday. Yes, I use an expensive portable mortising machine but have also done them freehand. With a little care and having read the instructions completely, most anyone can do this.

Building an entry door is on my list projects to do but something else always seems to need to be done first.

John Piwaron
01-15-2007, 2:05 PM
Don't get cocky about the ease of installing a mortise lock. We had a "professional" do it and he made an absolute mess of it. The hole wound up being too big so now the lock is shimmed into it. If I was having another one installed I would carefully check the references of the installer.

Who's being cocky? I started out thinking about that machine Norm used, then as others point out the traditional way is drills and chisels.

Well, here's the heart of the matter - I've built quite a few things and the M&T is my favorite joint. I use it even when a "lesser" joint would be enough. I started out exactly the way other posters say - drills and chisels. Then started using a dedicated machine. For really big stuff, like a bed, I use a router. The thing with the door is the depth.

I'm accustomed to accuracy. I'm just pondering that machine and alternatives. IF I build a door.

Right now I'm making David Marks oval mirror so there's no time for door building. Yet.

Nick Clayton
01-15-2007, 2:05 PM
I missed the NYWW show, but when we purchased our house we replaced all the doors. I purchased a setup from Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=40219&cat=1,43000
to duplicate the hinge placement. It was much faster than any, I've done by hand and since we were replacing 18 doors it was worth saving the time.

Ben Grunow
01-15-2007, 9:01 PM
John, the only suggestion I can offer is to be careful of the stile width when making a door as a full mortise lock requires a deeeeeep mortise. Best to have the lock in hand when designing. And if you buy a door, mortise carefully because there is usually little wood left at the bottom of the mortise-dont take an extra 1/4" if you dont need it. DAMHIKT.

Ben