PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Creekers!

Phyllis Meyer
01-15-2007, 10:51 AM
I think there are a few of you on here, don't know names...Help! Our Daughter that just became a Flight Attendant will be based out of: Lihue (with Mesa Airlines-"GO"). This all happened in the last 2 days, things are nuts with all the arrangements and of course have never been there, and she will be looking for housing. Any advice would be most appreciated! She may also need a part-time job (she's our little artist), and knows a lot about Laser Engraving if any of you need a hand.

Thank You From Nervous Parents in the Frozen Tundra!

Sincerely,

Ron & Phyllis Meyer:)

Joe Pelonio
01-15-2007, 5:07 PM
Phyllis,

Congratulations to your daughter and best of luck to her. Also, some sympathy to you as it sounds like she's leaving the nest. My youngest moves to his apartment in a week, but is only a mile away.

I was just reading an article on the subject of housing in Hawaii, specifically Oahu, though. It may or may not be the same, but I hope that she can find roomates to go in with among her co-workers when she gets there.

Apparently a lot of Hawaiian property owners are converting apartments to condos to sell to tourists, leaving them in short supply and high priced. This article said that the average 2 BR apartment in Honolulu area is $1,900/mo.
and studios $1,200. We're considered high priced here and Josh found a nice 3 bedroom 8 years old (will have 2 roomates) for $1,300.

Phyllis Meyer
01-15-2007, 8:03 PM
Thank you Joe! She is so excited, and yes we are most concerned with housing! So...anyone out there know anyone in or around Hawaii that knows anyone that has rental property there, please PM me!

How's the weather Joe? We finally got snow last night, my husband is a highway worker, so he's the one that plows at 3:00 A. M. (he loves it)!

Sincerely,

Phyllis

Joe Pelonio
01-15-2007, 9:11 PM
How's the weather Joe? We finally got snow last night, my husband is a highway worker, so he's the one that plows at 3:00 A. M. (he loves it)!

Sincerely,

Phyllis
After nights at 16, 17, then 19, it actually got up to 38 with the sun today.
Right now it's back to 25, and 3" of snow predicted overnight. The roads here have some bare spots but still up to 1" of hard ice on them. I just came up the hill in 4WD and had a couple of fishtail episodes when turning. I wish yo9ur husband would do our neighborhood, the city only does the main roads. When I asked about it they said that our hills are too steep for them.

Jim Becker
01-15-2007, 10:20 PM
I was just reading about Mesa moving in on the Hawaii "local" airline scene. (The incumbants are seriously "unhappy" about it!) Best wishes to your daughter...nice plate to get started!

Dan Gill
01-16-2007, 8:56 AM
My sister-in-law lives in Honolulu (Pearl City, actually). Housing is a bear in Hawaii and always has been. She and my brother saved for 20 years to be able to buy a house, and even then the price tag was a killer. I'll ask her if she knows anyone with a rental property or knowledge of one. A roommate is definitely the way to go. Even now my niece and her family live with my sister-in-law. It's very hard for a young family to get established there. Fortunately, folks there are known for hospitality.

Phyllis Meyer
01-16-2007, 6:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for responding! Anyone with a contact would be most helpful! There are 4 other Flight Attendants out there and over the last few days our Daughter has been working on contacting them...they are very busy and as of yet no-one has responded. We are really hoping that wherever they live she can room with them.

Mesa just opened in Hawaii last June, and we too have been reading all the articles on the competition...they offer the island hopping flights at a much cheaper fare. We will be doing a lot of praying!

We are not totally sure if she has to live on Lihue or is she can live say on Pearl...until she gets there are sees her flight schedule it's all up in the air (pardon the pun):)! We take her to the Central WI Airport tomorrow and then she's off to Chicago, Pheonix, and then Honolulu. This is all so mind boggling for us Frozen Trundra Folks.

Sincerely,

Phyllis