PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem with Zone Alarm

Don Emmerling
01-15-2007, 10:01 AM
I hope there is someone out that can point me in the right direction or offer a solution, short of paying $2.95/min for help from Zone Alarm. I have a Dell PC using the XP Home system and I am using Zone Alarm as the firewall. In the past 2 weeks I have had a lot of difficulty connecting and staying connected to my ISP. I have traced the problem to a program in Zone Alarm called True Vector. With Zone Alarm running at startup I get connected to the ISP, but after maybe 30 seconds or so I get an error message from Zone Alarm to reboot as there is a system problem with True Vector. Once this happens I cannot surf the internet and lose connectivity with the ISP. If I disable Zone Alarm everything goes well and I can surf freely. I don't know why this just started a few days ago as I have had Zone Alarm since the PC was a pup. Any thoughts out there in off topic land?

Thanks, Don

Michael Cody
01-15-2007, 10:07 AM
I hope there is someone out that can point me in the right direction or offer a solution, short of paying $2.95/min for help from Zone Alarm. I have a Dell PC using the XP Home system and I am using Zone Alarm as the firewall. In the past 2 weeks I have had a lot of difficulty connecting and staying connected to my ISP. I have traced the problem to a program in Zone Alarm called True Vector. With Zone Alarm running at startup I get connected to the ISP, but after maybe 30 seconds or so I get an error message from Zone Alarm to reboot as there is a system problem with True Vector. Once this happens I cannot surf the internet and lose connectivity with the ISP. If I disable Zone Alarm everything goes well and I can surf freely. I don't know why this just started a few days ago as I have had Zone Alarm since the PC was a pup. Any thoughts out there in off topic land?

Thanks, Don

Remove it and reinstall it ... I've seen this behavior from Zone Alarm several times, TrueVector get's corrupted during updates..

Personally unless you need something Zone alarm provides, the Windows XP firewall if you are running XP works just as well. It doesn't have the versatility that ZoneAlarm has or built in virus scanning (if you have the pro-version) but it works ok.

John Miliunas
01-15-2007, 10:18 AM
I agree with Mike. First and foremost, uninstall it and reinstall it fresh. Also, FWIW, at home I just use my XP Firewall and have been happy with it. At work, we have both, a hardware and software firewall (Cisco), so the XP one is disabled. I can't say for sure about ZA but, I do know that the XP firewall doesn't play nice with the Cisco application. There may be similar conflicts with ZA but, that's just a possible assumption on my part. :) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2007, 10:22 AM
I have XP PRo and ZoneAlarm on my home computer. I've turned of the XP firewall as I was told they don't play well together. I like Zone Alarm. I've been using it for years.

David G Baker
01-15-2007, 11:31 AM

Thanks, Don
Don,
As everyone else has posted, remove Zone Alarm and reinstall it. One other thing you need to do is remove all of your temporary files, a Zone Alarm file gets corrupted and remains in the temp area and may come back to haunt you.
I use the Zone Alarm Security Suite and it has served me well.
Another thing that has caused me major problems is the Internet Explorer version 7. I downloaded it and used it for approximately one month. I loved the new features and everything else about it. On Christmas morning IE7 gave me a Christmas present, it crashed my computer and I spent at least 12 hours restoring everything back to normal (of course I had not backed up any thing). I could not access system restore or any other process of getting access to my hard drive. Not knowing about the IE7 problem I downloaded IE7 again and installed it. Around New Years day the same thing happened again. I reloaded everything again and after thinking about the only new thing I had added to my computer in months, reached the conclusion that IE7 could very well be the cause of my problem so I did not install it the third time. I installed IE6 and every thing has been running smooth since. I Googled the problem and found that several other folks had the same problem. It could be a Zone Alarm and IE7 conflict.
I also shut off the "automatic update" feature.
David B

John Kain
01-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Get rid of it all together.

Just IMO>

Derek Rose
01-16-2007, 8:45 AM
ZA tends to be a pain for me because of the thousands of promptings I get from it. Ironically, I have a much more complex system that never gives me problems.

McAfee Suite here, paired with Windows firewall as well as two hardware firewalls.

David G Baker
01-16-2007, 9:16 AM
ZA tends to be a pain for me because of the thousands of promptings I get from it. Ironically, I have a much more complex system that never gives me problems.

McAfee Suite here, paired with Windows firewall as well as two hardware firewalls.
Derek,
The prompting can be shut off and they go away.
David B